August 2023 W.I.S.H blissful, bold blue moon

What is motivating you this week? What are you looking to get out of this week?
Three more sleeps until California! My motivation this week is to make good, healthy choices for three more days before letting it all go and having a blast on vacation. This morning I ran intervals during my 5k (30 second sprint, 1 minute recover job, 10 times) so that I can shave some time off my pace heading into my 10k next month.

This Monday I am being motivated by my blood work results. It was not good news, unfortunately, I am pre dieabetic.

I was shocked and felt pretty defeated. I have been trying so hard for years-tracking, weighing and measuring my food and working out consistently, but genetics got the best of me.
Ugh, that stinks! Sorry to hear you're in that position, but sometimes you just can't fight that genetic predisposition. :-(

Told DH that we need to get our packing game down before next summer. As the kids are getting bigger and their clothes take up more space in the suitcases we need to be smart and organized. This go around we have been anything but.

The clothes getting bigger really does put a damper on things! Packing for this trip has been so much harder than prior years. (Not to mention, so much more laundry upon return. Little clothes can all get jammed into one big load of laundry, but the bigger sizes require that many more cycles to get through!)

My motivation this week is to keep on track. We have some high calorie events that we'll be going to this week and I need to stay mindful and only eat what is "worth" it to eat.

We're going to a ballgame tonight, but we're going to eat before we get there so I can hopefully stay away from most temptations there.

Then Tuesday and Wednesday we're going to the state fair where everything is fried. I haven't been in forever, but I know it would be so easy to get carried away, so I just need to be aware of what I'm eating and try to make the best choices possible while still enjoying everything going on!

Hi everyone! The weekend was great but also busy. Friday night Elizabeth and I went school close shopping. She really didn't like anything so we ordered most of her stuff on line. We got a huge storm Friday night while driving home. I think we got about 2 inches of rain in about 15-20 min. time. Nick was also drive at the time and thankfully he pulled over and called Jeff to say he pulled off and was waiting it out. This was his first storm like this while driving so we were worried until we got the call.

Saturday was busy but not as busy as it souls have been. Elizabeth worked at the barn until 12 and then we picked her up for her to come home eat something quick and change clothes before heading back to do show prep (getting horses ready for the show). After dropping her off it was time to go to Nick's soccer game. We got just in time for the to cancel the game. There was a huge storm rolling in. So we headed back home and this storm ended up not as bad for us as they were projecting. This was a line moving across the northern part of the state but petered out up by me but was really bad about an hour south. They had tornados. Jeff and I were supposed to go see the orchestra but decided against it. It is an out door amphitheater. The rain seemed like it would go most of the night and we didn't want to deal with it.

On Sunday I spent my whole day at the Elizabeth horse show. It was a nice day too. I did get burnt a little bit. Elizabeth did great. This was her first show doing western and she has only been learning for a short time too. She got two 3rd places. It was only out of 3 people but the other 2 have been doing western for a very long time. She held her own though. I think they beat her by just a little bit. So all was good. So no really time for me yesterday but my mom came to the show and I was able to hang out with her.

My motivation for this week is my sister. She has lost 50 pounds since November. So this is motivating me to do better.

Then Tuesday and Wednesday we're going to the state fair where everything is fried. I haven't been in forever, but I know it would be so easy to get carried away, so I just need to be aware of what I'm eating and try to make the best choices possible while still enjoying everything going on!
I love the fair. I grew up doing 4-H so that week I was at the fair from like 7 am to about midnight the whole week. My favorite is a sausage sandwich. I might be one of the healthier things too. I do also get fries with vinegar too. But at least one thing is healthier.

TUESDAY TOPIC: Transitions

1692059850190.png

Last week we chatted about summer and our remaining plans, but autumn is out there somewhere, lurking, waiting for us. What are your plans for autumn healthy living? When temps cool off (please oh please cool off) and things get damp and being out of doors isn't as fun, how do you plan on keeping up with exercise? How do you manage the transition to wanting heavier comfort foods?

This week I am just trying not to melt. It was in the hundreds today and my school has no AC. They did let everyone without AC work from home starting at one and tomorrow that starts at noon. We were all hot sweaty messes by the time we left!!!

I just sent DH to the store for some cranberry juice. I'm feeling like maybe something is trying to start so I'm hoping chugging that will keep everything away!

We babysat tonight and since it's during dinner time I always pack our dinner to eat there. As we were driving over I remembered I forgot the carrots. Darn it! I'm going to eat some now before DH gets back!

This week I am just trying not to melt. It was in the hundreds today and my school has no AC. They did let everyone without AC work from home starting at one and tomorrow that starts at noon. We were all hot sweaty messes by the time we left!!!

I just sent DH to the store for some cranberry juice. I'm feeling like maybe something is trying to start so I'm hoping chugging that will keep everything away!

We babysat tonight and since it's during dinner time I always pack our dinner to eat there. As we were driving over I remembered I forgot the carrots. Darn it! I'm going to eat some now before DH gets back!
I feel you with the heat at school. Years ago, I taught in old buildings with high ceilings and giant windows. We would put in window fans and do quite well. Then in 2008, I moved to the new school with A/C...operated by a computer system that the custodian didn't know how to operate, and he broke it. It has never worked, so instead we suffocated in a building that didn't have windows that opened more than a crack on my side of the building. (I am currently on the other side which has better windows, thank God.) In 2020, I taught my prek wearing a mask and a face shield that dripped with condensation because our room was so hot. It was a nightmare. In June, August, and September, I wear my hair up and am soaking wet by 9:00am every day.

My school won a federal grant to be a green school, and with that came a new A/C system...let's hope the custodian doesn't break this one.

When temps cool off (please oh please cool off) and things get damp and being out of doors isn't as fun, how do you plan on keeping up with exercise?

I run all seasons and fall is probably the best. I'll take a rainy run over the nonsense humidity I had this morning any darn day! As it cools off, running feels so light and free compared to the slog that is summer running.

How do you manage the transition to wanting heavier comfort foods?

We end up at my mom's pool eating junk food so much during the summer, that I think fall is easier. At least, until it pushes into holiday season. But, for now, we'll get back into a good routine of home cooked healthy meals throughout the week, instead of the quickie burgers, dogs, and chips that inevitably accompany pool time.

I love that we have all four seasons. It's usually a long spring and fall and short summer and winter, but we get them all. And I love each season, but autumn is my most favorite and I am so looking forward to my first fall living here in PT.

I'm kicking myself that I booked my WDW trip in early September and will be going back in to the sun and heat at a time when my body is crying out for the shorter cooler days. I even poked around last night to see if I could push the trip in to November but POP didn't have availability.

I'm also fine being outside in the rain and am looking forward to evening walks wearing a hoodie. I think I've purchased my last tub of watermelon and will be switching to cooked food soon... this might be the year I get into soups. And with the indoor bike coming soon, I'll have no excuse to not exercise even on the crummiest of days.

When temps cool off (please oh please cool off) and things get damp and being out of doors isn't as fun, how do you plan on keeping up with exercise?
Schedule and weather-wise, my neighbor and I haven't been able to do as many outdoor walks this summer as last year, so my exercise won't change too much - walk on the treadmill or do yoga inside.

The thing I need to watch is having less energy in the evenings as it gets dark earlier. I might try to move my treadmill time earlier in the day. (As I'm very much a creature of habit, though, change can be hard.)

How do you manage the transition to wanting heavier comfort foods?
I'm actually super in a rut with cooking, so I'm looking forward to the cooler weather to experiment with some new healthy recipes.

When I know I'm just eating for comfort, not actual hunger, I sometimes try a cup of hot tea first, or even chewing gum.

My school won a federal grant to be a green school, and with that came a new A/C system.
That's so neat! What else is part of the program?

U.S. Department of Energy is providing $1.8 million for:
  • new solar and battery systems
  • new building management systems
  • new boilers and water heaters
  • energy efficient lighting
  • retro commissioning of heating and cooling systems to improve air quality (which is so important for all of us with asthma)
  • student apprenticeship programs at the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System
  • student internships at Housatonic CC and UCONN
It's really awesome!

Fall might be my worst time of year. I love it but my schedule in the past gets a bit crazy. The last 2 years I had 1 playing boys soccer, one playing girls soccer (and they couldn't coordinate with each other) and both in marching band and neither drove. So I would spend most of my time either at games or practice. This year it is just Nick and he drives so it will be just games that I will be at. This should give some time to get on the treadmill.

Elizabeth is taking a college class at the community college by us so I will be there 1 night a week. I will still take her after she gets her licenses because she is young and the class will get out after dark. It is an easy campus to walk around (all inside) so I think this will be my routine on that night. I just need to get a routine going at home.

We typically don't change what we eat much. We do eat less fruit as fall and winter start because they are just not in season any more. Ours DQ by us closes for the winter. So this is nice as I am no longer tempted to get ice cream all the time.

The kids got their schedules today and Elizabeth and I were talking. I am pretty sure if she takes comp 2 at college in the spring she will not need to take any classes at the HS next year. I told her she should not graduate early (I really don't need her to graduate at 16) but instead just take a full load of college classes next year. The state pays for it so she will have a year done that she didn't have to pay for. School starts in a week. It will be so nice to finally get into a routine again.

The last few years we have really not had a fall-it went from blazin’ hot to freezing cold with just a few days in between so I am hoping for a real fall this year!

I was trying to think of things that we do differently in the fall but other than schedules being busier we really don’t change anything…which could be good and bad I suppose LOL!

I went to dinner with my work friends last night, if I am being honest I almost cancelled because I was so nervous about eating and being tempted. I planned my entire day around leaving extra calories to share appetizer between 4 of us and it actually worked out. I was under my carbs and calories so that was good!

Today is my office day and I sweated half to death on my afternoon walk-real feel of 98 🥵 so that is something I am looking forward to in fall-cool temp lunch walks for office days!!

Summer, that grant sounds amazing!

The office was 88 when we left at noon. Tomorrow they say the heat index is lower so normal operations. I'm not happy. It's still going to be triple digits and we're still going to be miserable. I think I may not come back after lunch. I feel a headache coming on! But I do think the cranberry juice has helped because I feel almost normal again. I'll finish the last of it tonight.

Yeah. I can't think about fall in these temperatures. I'll probably do more walking. Still haven't made myself get up at o'dark thirty for morning yoga. I need to get my act together!!!

I am so sorry so many of you are have suck high temps. Here has been more of the opposite. We have had a lot of cooler weather (more like fall) and a lot of rain. The rain can stop at any time. We are so saturated right now. We really only had one really hot week and that was the week we were in Gatlinburg. However, I think the temps were worse there.

I have 2 woohoo's today. 1. Since we had a talk about eating out, none of us have gone out. Except Nick so need to work on that. This will help me to lose weight and to save money. I even made dinner at 3 yesterday so that we had something since I told Elizabeth we would go school supply shopping and Nick had a game.

2. Elizabeth finished her driving (the classroom part) yesterday. Now I can schedule the in car part. She did the classes online and it took her forever to get it done. I would have liked her to do them in class. 2 weeks and your done.

Woohoo... I didn't cancel my WDW yesterday, and I really really wanted to. I just kept thinking "why am I going back in to the heat, I don't want to be hot any longer". I was willing to take a loss on the MNSSHP ticket, but then remembered I couldn't get a refund on the park pass either, plus being within 30 days there would have been a $200 penalty on the room reservation. So instead of canceling I booked my airport parking reservation and called to get my two room reservations combined (I had absent mindedly booked my return flight to be the 6pm departure, meaning I would have been driving home in the dark with the last third of the way not lit, so I added a night and rebooked the early flight the following morning, but had had to book that night separately). Then I spent the evening watching Mammoth Club YouTubes to get in to the Disney mood and that really helped... so a second woohoo for Molly and the MamFam.

Woohoo... out of the two dozen dahlias I started from seed four are at least trying to form flowers. For next year I'm going to get some tubers and see if that works better.

Woohoo... after a high in the 90's yesterday (really hot for this area) temps are gradually going to cool off, so no more melty cranky Lizanne.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter