Aulani -- Gluten Free options

runmommyrun

Mouseketeer
We are heading to Aulani soon. My 8 year old son has celiac disease. I am trying to find out info re gluten-free options at the resort and at local grocery stores. We've been spoiled by WDW and local grocery stores there because they have had a lot of the gluten free staples for us to prepare meals... bread, muffins, cereal, pasta, etc... and at WDW restaurants and resorts the basic kids' meals often have gluten free options. Can anyone who has been to Aulani answer the following?

-- Does the local Safeway, Super Target or Costco carry gluten free bread, cereal, muffins and/or pasta? We eat breakfast and lunch a lot in our room, so we are just mainly looking for the staples for our stay.

-- Does the resort carry gluten free options for typical kid meals like hamburgers and waffles (like at WDW)?

I'd carry on gluten free bread and the other basics from home, but we are stopping at DL first, so I'm not sure everything will stay fresh. Thanks in advance!

Hi, my daughter has gluten sensitivity, so we were thrilled when we arrived at Aulani to find out that we could get GF cheese pizza from "Off the Hook," the bar/restaurant by the pool. My daughter was very happy! We were super hungry when we arrived so were delighted to eat our lunch, allergen free!

There is also an organic grocery store really close to the resort. We came straight from home, so I brought GF breads from home in my carryon bag, since I was not sure if I wanted to be running around buying GF breads and pizza crust. But why don't you stop at the Down to Earth (I had thought it was a Whole Foods, sorry!) on your way to the resort? It is right off of the freeway at exit 1A or 1B.

I believe that many of the restaurants offer GF items, and I am pretty sure that the in-room-dining menu had a GF breakfast offering of some kind.

Where? The closest I found online is on the far side of Honolulu. Would be great if there is one closer to Aulani.

Apologies for my mistake about the Whole Foods near Aulani :confused3. My husband thought that he drove by a Whole Foods off of exit 1A or 1B, but it looks like it was a Down to Earth organic grocery store instead. Those exits are close to Ko'Olina/Aulani.

I did call Down to Earth prior to our visit, so if you are looking for certain items, I am sure that you can just ask them if they carry them.

There is a Whole Foods on Maui near the airport, in case you are going to that island.

Apologies for my mistake about the Whole Foods near Aulani :confused3. My husband thought that he drove by a Whole Foods off of exit 1A or 1B, but it looks like it was a Down to Earth organic grocery store instead. Those exits are close to Ko'Olina/Aulani.

I did call Down to Earth prior to our visit, so if you are looking for certain items, I am sure that you can just ask them if they carry them.

There is a Whole Foods on Maui near the airport, in case you are going to that island.

Thanks. Sorry to hear that Whole Foods isn't closer to Aulani. DW is the one who is gluten free and loves Whole Foods. I knew about Down to Earth and we will be stopping by on the way to Aulani.

Not going to Maui, but we are going to Kauai for a wedding after Aulani.

My daughter and her friend spent a week at Aulani last summer. The friend must eat gluten free. Because of their ages, they could not rent a car and so ate all week at Aulani or places that they could walk to. The friend had no problems finding things to eat. We sent some breakfast foods in their luggage, but that really was as much to save money as to address the gluten free issue. The resort was very good at accomodating food allegies. If you have a car I do not think you will have any difficulty finding gluten free foods. The girls had dinner at the buffet to celebrate a birthday and there the chef came out to go over what the friend could eat. There was so much emphasis on fresh fruits and seafood that there were lots of choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter