Aulani in-room dining

Poppins2010

Mouseketeer
Can someone share their experiences with the family meals brought to the room at Aulani? I was wondering about the number of serving options and the general price range.
Also, I know this is only available for DVC members. I am staying on rented points. Will this be an option for us?
Thanks for your help...3 weeks away now!

Did you see my reply on the other room service posting?

If not,

There were two or three entree choices. We chose the Salmon meal.
It started at a service for 4 and then you could add by 2 to that. We had 5 (youngest was 14), so we ordered for 6. The meal arrived family style in very nice serving platters/bowls.

I do not remember the price, It wasn't cheap but it was less expensive than feeding the 5 of us downstairs.

The meal was VERY good and we do plan on repeating this.

I do not know about non -members on points. My guess would be yes but you will have to check there.

The other note was that you do have to order this ahead. I think we called two days ahead of time. I do not remember if same day was possible, but I do remember that you would not be able to call at 5:00pm to request a meal at 6:00pm.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!!

Mary

We're just back from Aulni. We didn't order one of the meals but wish we had in retrospect. There were four choices this past week:
Baked pasta...$75
Roasted Rosemary Chicken....$80
Meatloaf.....$80
Baked Salmon...$90

You must order by noon for delivery between 5 and 10pm.

edited to add that I don't think there is a limit on adding. It is in increments of two people according to the menu.

Have fun!

Courtesy of BCV23, here are photos showing the family meals offered by Aulani for in-room dining:

photo-3_zpsb64cfaac.jpg

photo-4_zps187aa06a.jpg

Is there a regular in room dining service provided. We normally have one meal in the room. But it is just DH and me. If so,does anyone know where I can find a menu?

Do we know if they would be able to customize these at all (ie leave out the mushrooms on the baked pasta one)? They sound good but I could never bring myself to spend $80 on a meatloaf when I know what I spend at home to MAKE one.:rotfl: DH and I don't like salmon so that would leave either the chicken or the pasta. Personally, I could live the rest of my life without chicken and never miss it (I am a red meat fan) but DS won't do mushrooms. :rolleyes2 I would also be interested in knowing if there is another in-room dining option besides the family style thing.

Do we know if they would be able to customize these at all (ie leave out the mushrooms on the baked pasta one)? They sound good but I could never bring myself to spend $80 on a meatloaf when I know what I spend at home to MAKE one.:rotfl: DH and I don't like salmon so that would leave either the chicken or the pasta. Personally, I could live the rest of my life without chicken and never miss it (I am a red meat fan) but DS won't do mushrooms. :rolleyes2 I would also be interested in knowing if there is another in-room dining option besides the family style thing.

I don't know if you can make substitutions on the family meals. If I remember correctly, there was a regular room service menu as well at Aulani. However, as typical with most resort hotels, everything on the room service menu was very expensive. If you are not too keen on spending $80 on a meatloaf meal, you won't be keen on the room service prices.

Yes, there is a regular room service menu as well.

No, you do not have to be a DVC member to order these meals (I was staying in a 2BR villa as a paid, non-member guest and ordered one no problem).

No, they are not expensive considering the amount of food you get--they were HUGE portions.

Love to see the full room service menu if anyone has a pic or has a chance while there. Surprisingly I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

Update: I'm mainly interested in the breakfast section if that helps.

Did you see my reply on the other room service posting?

If not,

There were two or three entree choices. We chose the Salmon meal.
It started at a service for 4 and then you could add by 2 to that. We had 5 (youngest was 14), so we ordered for 6. The meal arrived family style in very nice serving platters/bowls.

I do not remember the price, It wasn't cheap but it was less expensive than feeding the 5 of us downstairs.

The meal was VERY good and we do plan on repeating this.

I do not know about non -members on points. My guess would be yes but you will have to check there.

The other note was that you do have to order this ahead. I think we called two days ahead of time. I do not remember if same day was possible, but I do remember that you would not be able to call at 5:00pm to request a meal at 6:00pm.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!!

Mary

Are these meals delivered "ready to eat" or do you have to warm or cook in any way?
Think this would be great for a day when we are away from the resort. Just have it delivered when we return.
Another question--how do you tip for the meal delivery. A % of the cost of the meal? If there is no "serving" not sure what is appropriate. Don't think I have ever had room service before, except snacks on DCL.

The meal is fully prepared and ready to eat as soon as it arrives. It is delivered family style in bowls and platters. You use the plates and silverware found in the kitchen in the room.

They then come back later and pick up the bowls that the dinner was served on, leaving the dvc kitchen plates/silverware/glasses for you to clean in the room.

I am sorry, but it has been long enough that I do not remember what we did for tipping. I think that we tipped a few dollars like you would for regular room service - not based on the price of the meal -- but I am not sure. Hopefully someone else will come along and comment further on that.

You do set a time for delivery when you place the order. So if you are out somewhere you do have to watch the clock to make sure you return on time.

Mary

Confused...are this 4 meals the only items available for room service? Just wondering why they've been discussed so extensively. We are a tiny family if 2. I can't see paying $75 for a meal for me and a child.

If it were me, I'd stop at Target (or Walmart - they both have a pretty good grocery selection, both are "super" stores, also carry wine, beer, and spirits) and you could get a Stouffers family size meatloaf or other dinner, salad mix, fruit, etc... and it would still require almost zero cooking for the first night. It would be so much cheaper (but I'm kind of frugal even on vacation, and we cook every day in Hawaii). Just my two cents - we go every other year, and stay at the Marriott two resorts down from Aulani, and they are the cheapest vacations for us (we grill a lot - Marriott has well over a dozen grills and every evening they're super busy, but it's a fun way to meet other guests) and we use airline miles.

We are always super tired after the flight(s) from the East Coast, stopping for groceries and toiletries, checking in, unloading everything. So we grab a sandwich by the beach (at the Marriott) and it's never great. The in-room family meal is a nice option that Disney offers - but you could make something simple like I mentioned for less than $20. I've made that Stouffers meatloaf once on vacation - just pop it in the oven for like an hour or so? My kids enjoyed it.

Does Costco have the pre-prepared meals like they do at home? That would be another great option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter