Aulani occupancy % after reopening PLEASE REPORT YOUR EXPERIENCE

Craig Jacobsen

Earning My Ears
We have 30 family members going to Aulani in mid-January. This will be our 7th visit to the Aulani. When the Aulani is full, things can get really crowded at the pools and beach. I have read the Covid-19 rules for the Aulani reopening. If Disney sells out the hotel, their version of social distancing will be almost impossible if you are trying to use the pools. I asked member services if there was a occupancy limit during the Covid period to help with social distancing. They told me that info was proprietary. I don't want to feel trapped in my room if the pools are crazy busy. If they remove 50% of the chairs at the pool to ensure social distancing, things could be difficult.

For those of you that are actually at the Aulani during the social distancing rules, it would be REALLY helpful for you to describe the pool, beach and restaurant situation.

Thanks in advance

I booked a room for my cousin and her family next Saturday. They are locals and they are really excited to go. I can't wait to ask them how it went. I'm so curious.

We will be there 11/8-13, I will take notice of everything and let you know how it is. I am hoping they are only letting 50% or so stay! Good news is the Four Seasons is still closed and that will keep the Cove Beach very low in numbers!

Last edited:

We will be there 11/8-13, I will take notice of everything and let you know how it is. I am hoping they are only letting 50% or so stay! Good news is the Four Seasons is still closed and that will keep the Cove Beach very low in numbers!
LOL I always feel like there is a friendly rivalry between the Four Seasons and Aulani, even though there probably isn't

Going - Thanksgiving week. Booked a Grand Villa. Hoping for a high floor. I will report back.

Going - Thanksgiving week. Booked a Grand Villa. Hoping for a high floor. I will report back.
Did you book the Ocean view Grand villa or the Standard View? I feel like the Standard View Grand Villa is the hardest room to get at Aulani, even at the 11 month mark

They cannot restrict occupancy of the DVC side when open, legally, due to the nature of the timeshare points.

They could restrict occupancy on the hotel side. Open question of if they do.

The Four Seasons is currently transitioning ownership so I am thinking they might not announce an opening date for awhile, so fingers crossed Lagoon 1 will not be very busy for a little while.

Did you book the Ocean view Grand villa or the Standard View? I feel like the Standard View Grand Villa is the hardest room to get at Aulani, even at the 11 month mark
There are only 2 Standard View GV's. We were once assigned to an "Ocean View" GV that really only looked into the tops of trees. Fortunately we were able to get this changed to a higher floor. We have been lucky to be on the 9th floor several times.

There is an excellent vlog covering Aulani’s re-opening. Search “The Traveling Husbands” on YouTube.

The feature some of the holiday and 2020 Aulani merchandise, show the distance markers, talk to a cast member about the chair/mask policies, etc.

Crowds look REALLY manageable!

There is an excellent vlog covering Aulani’s re-opening. Search “The Traveling Husbands” on YouTube.

The feature some of the holiday and 2020 Aulani merchandise, show the distance markers, talk to a cast member about the chair/mask policies, etc.

Crowds look REALLY manageable!
Thanks!!!!! Looks great!!! 😊😊

See the other thread about crowds last weekend. Apparently Aulani ran a Kaamaina promo for locals and filled the hotel. Pool deck and all were as crowded as ever. We are going Thanksgiving week and expecting 100% occupancy.

See the other thread about crowds last weekend. Apparently Aulani ran a Kaamaina promo for locals and filled the hotel. Pool deck and all were as crowded as ever. We are going Thanksgiving week and expecting 100% occupancy.
We will be there that week as well - but I thought I read that that promo was blacked out for Thanksgiving.......hoping for the best.

Sitting on our balcony now on Tuesday and can report that crowds are manageable today. We went down to float in lazy river at 10:30am and had a couple of different chair groupings to choose from that were open. Floated several times around the river and there was always lots of space between us and other parties except at stairs where people enter/exit which is to be expected. Weather is gorgeous today with a light breeze. It’s making all the pre-travel hassle seem completely worth it today as I read a book overlooking the lagoon. Not sure if will change over Veteran’s Day and into the weekend, but soaking up this laid back atmosphere now.

The resort has been dead since late afternoon Sunday. We’ve had no problem finding lounge or beach chairs at any time.

A cast member told us the resort is currently at 40% but it feels much less crowded than that.

No wait for dinner at the pool bar on Monday night at about 6:45pm.

No waits to get into Ulu Cafe or stores. 2-3 people in line for shave ice at the busiest times of day. It’s really lovely right now!

We will be there that week as well - but I thought I read that that promo was blacked out for Thanksgiving.......hoping for the best.

I think the Aulani staycation group will be at the resort over Thanksgiving so there will still be a lot of locals. That group has 3,000+ members. I don’t mean to be negative, just trying to say that you should manage expectations. The good news is that Aulani should have staffing and crowd issues worked out by then. The bar manager said they had not increased staffing for the weekend but would be making both staffing and capacity adjustments in the future.

Also, I didn’t see anyone (including my family) wearing masks on the beach. I would recommend wearing a mask on the walkway between Aulani and the sand. Even on a quiet day like today, it could be difficult to consistently stay 6’ away from other guests.

Edited to add: No Mickey bars to be found anywhere on property (so far). No spam musubis, malasadas, or pineapple dole whip. Vanilla and pumpkin dole whips (are they still dole whips if there’s no pineapple?) available, as are Mickey-shaped ice cream cookies. There were 3 Wishable packages available last night, but my daughter bought 2 of them (both Chips) and I’m not sure when they will be restocked.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter