Aulani occupancy % after reopening PLEASE REPORT YOUR EXPERIENCE

It seems the crowd at the hotel is predominately local. Before Aulani we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai which was a STUNNING property - as much of a Disney fanatic as I am there's no comparison on any front, Grand Hyatt blew Aulani out of the water. That hotel was operating at 9% occupancy which was a real treat. Have to wonder what the crowds would be like at Aulani without the big local resident discount.

I agree with you on the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. The service is fantastic and I love the setting. It is definitely one of my favorites!

Kauai just pulled out the welcome mat next week and buttoning back up. Will Oahu be next? Plans in place for Dec 26-Jan2 still; but looks more likely homestay for the holidays is increasing. :(

I would be highly surprised if Oahu shut down. Oahu's infection rates have remained stable while Kauai saw a dramatic increase in the days since tourism reopened. Also, Kauai only has something like 9 ICU beds.

It seems the crowd at the hotel is predominately local. Before Aulani we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai which was a STUNNING property - as much of a Disney fanatic as I am there's no comparison on any front, Grand Hyatt blew Aulani out of the water. That hotel was operating at 9% occupancy which was a real treat. Have to wonder what the crowds would be like at Aulani without the big local resident discount.
Thanks for sharing. We love Aulani, but will have to plan a visit to the Grand Hyatt. It's really that great? (And how nice to be able to visit at 9% occupancy!)

Thanks for sharing. We love Aulani, but will have to plan a visit to the Grand Hyatt. It's really that great? (And how nice to be able to visit at 9% occupancy!)
We stayed at Aulani 11/4-13 and it was nice. But the Grand Hyatt Kauai is my absolute favorite! The grounds are beautiful and there are hikes right from the hotel grounds as well. Kauai is a gorgeous island on top of that!!

We were there from 11/11-11/15 (Wednesday - Sunday). We arrived Wednesday afternoon at 3pm and the lobby was busy with around 7 or 8 families waiting in line to check-in. We dropped our stuff off in the room and went down to walk around the pool deck and were blown away by how crowded it was. Later realized that it was Veteran's day which would explain it.

Thursday was a little less busy, but it picked right back up Friday and the weekend. Virtually every pool chair gone around 8am, would guess 30-40 people in each of the main pools, fairly long line for the slides, virtually no mask wearing on the decks (understandable with swimming of course, but still). Honestly it was uncomfortably crowded for us given the situation and we spent almost our entire trip off property. Various beaches we visited around the island (Sunset, Lanikai, etc) were only modestly busy and there plenty of room to space out.

That would have been a dream 9% at the Hyatt—our favorite resort!!! Hope they open the island back up! Next year we want to go for our 30th anniversary in May.

Not sure how understandable it is. In 2018, 542 Hawaiians lost their lives due to the seasonal flu. So far this year, 305 Hawaiians have unfortunately died from COVID-19. The poor Hawaiian people who rely so heavily on tourism to literally survive and feed their families, are being devastated by the tourism restrictions. Not everyone can work from home indefinitely and I can't imagine how people in the hospitality industry are getting by. We have a Hawaii trip planned for May 2021 (including 5 nights on Kauai and 4 nights at Aulani) and its making me sick to think how the locals who we expect to "serve" us can even exist much longer. Sorry, I'm not trying to make a controversial statement and I've been a DVC member and Disboard participant for over 20 years, but the Hawaiian government restrictions are doing much more than inconveniencing people like us, they're destroying the lives of locals who work at places like Aulani and the Grand Hyatt. Rant done!

Not sure how understandable it is. In 2018, 542 Hawaiians lost their lives due to the seasonal flu. So far this year, 305 Hawaiians have unfortunately died from COVID-19. The poor Hawaiian people who rely so heavily on tourism to literally survive and feed their families, are being devastated by the tourism restrictions. Not everyone can work from home indefinitely and I can't imagine how people in the hospitality industry are getting by. We have a Hawaii trip planned for May 2021 (including 5 nights on Kauai and 4 nights at Aulani) and its making me sick to think how the locals who we expect to "serve" us can even exist much longer. Sorry, I'm not trying to make a controversial statement and I've been a DVC member and Disboard participant for over 20 years, but the Hawaiian government restrictions are doing much more than inconveniencing people like us, they're destroying the lives of locals who work at places like Aulani and the Grand Hyatt. Rant done!
Understandable-because the Governor not letting us go there and without guests they lose money—I never said i agree with what the government is doing—I find it sad for the Hawaaians— I LOVE Hawaii and don’t wish ill on any of them—this whole covid mess had grown out of control with the regulations. IMO

Last edited:
Understandable-because the Governor not letting us go there and without guests they lose money—I never said i agree with what the government is doing—I find it sad for the Hawaaians— I LOVE Hawaii and don’t wish ill on any of them—this whole covid mess had grown out of control with the regulations. IMO
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I agree with you completely that things are out of control and I'm very conflicted about our trip next year. We desperately want to go and support the local economies, but we hope the restrictions will be lifted not because it will make our trip easier and more enjoyable but because many Hawaiians can't survive without a thriving tourism industry.

Not sure how understandable it is. In 2018, 542 Hawaiians lost their lives due to the seasonal flu. So far this year, 305 Hawaiians have unfortunately died from COVID-19.
Just imagine for a moment or longer if restrictions were NOT in place -- those 305 souls lost would have many more companions.

Kauai made the hard, right choice with limited facilities to support/protect its population -- a local decision, not their state Gov.

We're still scheduled to go Dec 26 and desperately want to support it; but will comply with our Gov's do-not-travel orders if they remain in place at that time. Already have a March 2021 scheduled in case Dec 26 won't go.

It sucks on many different levels.

280,000 dead from COVID and 2,000+ daily deaths sucks too.

We are here now, checked in 12/11, one bedroom Garden View, room 1269, here for 4 nights, lots of folks checking out today (Sunday) so I expect the next two days to be less busy. I believe this is the last days of the locals and military discount, so yes it is busy, but we are used to doing "staycations" at resorts in Arizona, and it is similar to that. Manageable, lots of little ones, we have teenagers now so just try to get chairs in quieter areas.
The Four Seasons is still not open, so the lagoon is not packed at all.
Most people wearing masks or at least carrying them when walking around the pools. If actively walking from one activity to another (lazy river to pool or pool to beach) most people don't have the mask on.
To order food or get take out, you have to have a mask.

We were at Aulani November 7-17, 2020. We had requested a certain type of room but did not get it. We asked about it when we checked in and were told they were full at 50% capacity (limited by the county or state) for the weekend and that we would be able to change rooms on Monday. This was probably our 10th stay at Aulani and it felt crowded on the weekends and on Veteran's Day, the other days were not crowded at all. Most of the crowd comprised of locals there for staycation. We actually noticed how crowded it was before we checked in. We had rented a car and the garage was full so we were directed to the other garage that Valet uses. We had to go around all the way to the top and found the very last spot against the wall.

Chairs by the pool have been thinned out, grouped and separated for social distancing. During the weekends and during the holiday, we were not able to find a chair. Chairs on the beach were available.

During the busy days, there were lines for food. At that time, Ulu Cafe, Off the Hook, Olelo Room and pool-side dining were our options. One night we stopped at Off the Hook and were told the wait would be 45 minutes so we went to check Olelo Room and found they were booked for the night. We had checked Olelo Room a couple of other times during the trip and we were not able to get in.

There were lines for the elevators. Capacity for the elevators is 4 unless you are in the same traveling group. We were up on the 16th floor. One time on the way down we stopped on a floor and asked the woman if she wanted to join us, she got in and said that there were 8 elevators before us that were at capacity.

Capacity was limited when shopping at Kalepa's Store, most days there was a line. Hale Manu Boutique was closed but it seems if you wanted to purchase something in there, a cast member would let you in.

We were told they were not prepared for the crowds they had during the weekend of the 7-8th. It was great to see they were making adjustments the next weekend. When we went to get our wrist band on Friday, we were told we could get Saturday's band as well if we were staying. Mama's Snack Stop was also opened on Sunday for another dining option.

These are just some of my observations from my trip. I hope I don't sound negative. I am tired and don't want to go back and add warm and fuzzies. I absolutely love Aulani and am so glad I was able to go. I've just made mental notes to not stay over two weekends and to avoid holidays (not sure what I was thinking when I booked)!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter