Aulani Spa Experiences?

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Anyone have a spa treatment or package at Aulani? Trying to decide if we'll get one at Aulani or at the Westin Maui where we will be first. Both are about the same cost-wise, just looking for reviews to determine which would be better. Thanks!

Have had massages on two different trips. If it isn't top, it's a close second for my favorite spa. The outdoor garden with plunge pools and showers is a must that you need to allow time for.

I did the Kilikili during both visits to Aulani. It was fabulous. I would suggest aulani for the Hydrotherapy Gardens alone.

I'm with the others, do the Laniwai Spa at Aulani! DH and I have done their couples package both times we have stayed there. It's a gorgeous spa and a very nice overall experience. I also would put it as one of my all time top 2 favorite spas. And I am a bit of a spa junkie! :flower:

Laniwai has the only outdoor hydrotherapy garden on the island of Oahu. I have heard good things about the spa at the Westin Hotel on Ka'anapali Beach from a friend that's gone there a number of times. But I don't think there will be any comparison to the overall facilities and amenities.

Thanks all! These hydrotherapy gardens... are they part of a package or available to anyone who books a service there?

Thanks all! These hydrotherapy gardens... are they part of a package or available to anyone who books a service there?

You have to be having a service to use the hydrotherapy gardens but it does not have to be a package.

I have been to the Westin Maui one-it was an excellent massage but it was over 7 years ago. Next time I am at Aulani, I am absolutely treating myself to at least a massage because of the hydro therapy area. I wish I would have known it was included the last time I was there...

Laniwai Spa is definitely in my top 2 spas I have ever visited, anywhere. I cannot recall any spa I've ever been to where you do not get access to all the facilities when you book and pay for a service at that spa. It is the same at Laniwai. DH and I have done the Pili Aloha couples package twice and though pricey, we felt it was excellent and when you break down the included spa services included we felt it wasn't a bad deal (by high end spa standards).

So glad I stumbled upon this. Planing our honeymoon and spa days will be added to the list

We did a couples massage. LOVED the hydrotherapy garden. Go early and enjoy! We'd do it again in a heartbeat!

So I've decided to definitely take advantage of the Aulani spa. It's my understanding that the hydrotherapy gardens, along with some saunas and hot tubs are available to anyone getting any treatment there, and you could essentially spend the whole day taking advantage of these if you have a massage there. Is that accurate? Just want to make sure I'm blocking enough time, beyond the time the massage will take.

Also, should I book before my trip or is this something I can book the day before we want to go? Wasn't sure how far in advance the spa books up. Thanks!

Off topic but the Westin Maui is beautiful!! I went there on vacation as a kid and the pools were one of the highlights of my childhood for sure :)

Sadly, we've only been to Aulani once, in 2012, but we all had a great experience there. Probably the most expensive massage/spa experience I've ever had and WORTH EVERY PENNY. I can't wait to go back!

Headed to Aulani tomorrow and Laniwai Wednesday for our third visit! The first time we went they still had they day pass available - alas no more day passes so I must book a massage :thumbsup2. I could spend hours in the spa. They ask you to come at least an hour before your appointment to get situated and enjoy the other amenities. I'll be going earlier to spend more time in the garden. They don't rush you out so you can enjoy the saunas, garden or just read a book in the quiet areas afterwards. Plenty of water but just small snacks - so food might be the only reason you would want to leave.

I booked just a couple of weeks ago and they seemed to have pretty good availability. July last year it was close to 100% and although we made reservations beforehand we were able to change them when we got there the day before.

Glad you decided to try it! Have fun. Enjoy!

We just returned a few weeks ago from our first visit. My husband and I visited the spa, and the kids went to Aunty's. I had the Nature's Healing Aina, followed by a break, followed by the Kapai Herbal Poultice massage. My husband had the Signature LomiLomi. We could not book a couples massage because we wanted different types of massages, and they said they could not do this for the couples package. Ok, no problem to be in separate rooms. I went earlier in the day than he did, and had the Aina, which was very, very nice. Loved the aroma of the scrub, as I felt like I was being scrubbed with a Dole Whip! Pineapple was part of the scrub... This therapist was excellent, and the components of the treatment were also excellent. She asked me what type of music I wanted during the treatment (was not asked by the other therapist for my later treatment). The people who did the check-in were very nice, and when I arrived about 10:15am, there was no one anywhere in the hydrotherapy garden, so it was very peaceful.

I did speak with a spa attendant about the kids and Aunty's. My husband needed to get to the spa at around 1PM for his 2PM massage (my massage was also at 2PM), and the kids were scheduled for Stitch's Space Goo at Aunty's at 3pm (2:30pm check in). Well that timing was not going to work. I was worried if Aunty's was at capacity when he went to drop them off at 1pm, he would miss his appointment (I was already at the spa from my morning treatment, so I was of no help). Spa attendant said that Aunty's would take them, even if at capacity, if the manager at Aunty's called the spa manager and confirmed our appointments. I wish I would have confirmed this earlier so I wasn't worried about it. It turned out fine as Aunty's was not at capacity.

By the time my husband arrived at 1:30pm, the garden had quite a few people in it, with two couples stationed in the two private tent areas. These couples didn't leave for several hours, but we were able to rest in one after our last treatment of the afternoon, when they had left. We did not try the showers at that point as didn't want to get wet right before the massages.

My poultice massage was kind of rough and kneading and not terribly relaxing. I was unsure if she had much experience with the technique, as I have had outstanding poultice massages elsewhere that were quite different than this. My husband said his massage was too light, despite asking them to increase the pressure more than once. I think another poster reported the same in her trip report, so if you like a lot of pressure, maybe it is best to mention this on booking so they can put you with an appropriate therapist. The little treat they give you after the massage was delicious, and I saw them bring an entire cupful of them to a person who apparently expressed his love of this treat!

We then went to the gardens to relax. It was relaxing but there were people making a fairly big production out of moving from the hot tub to the cold plunge pool, and this marred the relaxing atmosphere a little. We tried all of the showers, the hot tub with jets and the hot tub without jets. I personally liked the still hot tub. I also tried the eucalyptus steam room, which was a steam room without any eucalyptus that I could sense. I have been to other eucalyptus steam rooms at other spas which were much better in my opinion, since they actually smelled strongly of eucalyptus.

The attendants who take you on your tour and give you the lockers were very friendly. I was a bit disappointed that the common areas in the locker rooms had used towels, paper towels, etc left about for some time throughout the day. At most high-end spas that I've been too, the locker room staff are constantly refreshing everything. For example, when I took a shower, 2 out of 3 shower stalls had no towels or floor mats in them (had been used by a prior guest, I'm sure). Yes, I got my own towels and lived without the mat, but this is not what I was expecting for the price of this spa. The break room for the locker room attendants is right by the toilet stalls, and many times I could hear them in there, so I know they were in the area, but they were not out in the locker room monitoring and refreshing things. At the price point of this spa, I just had different expectations.

Since I was there over lunch, I was not sure what to do. I read that they had some snacks, but this was just a few mini muffins and cookies. I think there was whole fruit as well. There were several yummy flavors of water to choose from which were frequently filled up. I had a big breakfast knowing that I would not eat lunch, but if you are there literally all day, you might get fairly hungry. I saw no one eating at the spa or in the gardens, but I am not sure if this is offered. Many other spas I have been to offer a spa lunch option, but I did not see it here, and it was not mentioned as an option to me when I inquired at the time of booking.

Overall I enjoyed my time there, and it is a little oasis that is hard to believe exists right around the way from all the pools, lazy river, etc. One of my treatments was excellent, the other so-so. My husband's was ok but not stellar. For me, it would rate middle of the road compared to other high end spas (Four Seasons Vail, Colorado; couples massage in private cliff-side Bohio at Peter Island Resort, BVI, Cuisinart Spa, Anguilla etc). I think it is a very nice way to relax, but I think they could do more to make it feel as upscale as the prices that they charge. I also wish that they could somehow take advantage of the beach location and showcase this in the spa. You can't really hear and certainly can't see the beach/ocean from the spa. This was one of the only things that didn't quite live up to my expectations for this trip, and it was still very nice, but not "best in the world" for me personally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter