Aulani-tell me everything

abcangie87

Mouseketeer
So we are heading to Disneyland and Hawaii in about a month, and I'm not nearly as prepared as I am for a trip to WDW or a cruise.... Haven't even thought much about it honestly because I've been so busy. I've searched thread but really just seeing snippets...soooo...

tell me everything about Aulani and Oahu. Favorite thing to do? What not to do? Best bang for your buck? how was the kids' area. did you go to that 'storytelling' thing at night? how's the beach? Or did you prefer the pool? I saw something about photopass there.... how does that work and where do they lurk?

We're doing 4 nights Aulani and four nights at the Kahala. We have a rental van. I don't want to spend every day schlepping around the island, I want some days just to relax and enjoy the resorts.

So.... tell me what you know!

Thanks a bunch!

There is LOTS of info on the Disboards about Aulani. I recommend using the search function and read some trip reports. :thumbsup2

We were at Aulani last July and loved it all! The pools, slides and lazy river are very fun -- you will all enjoy them. The beach and lagoon are wonderful as well. Like almost everyone who stays at Aulani, we hit the little store across the street as well as the couple of nearby restaurants. Our family also liked the pool area food and room service. We did not do the buffet. Yes, we did the Starlit Hui, not sure if they are doing it these days due to the construction and renovations. Our girls did not go to Aunty's Beach House so I can't comment on that but it sure does look fun.

Aulani is magnificent and we did not want to leave! We may be returning this July also. It is a gorgeous resort but much more Hawaiian than Disney.

LOVED it! Have fun!

Hi Carrie,

My family and & I visited Aulani last year and we are returning again later this year. My children are 4 & 6 years old, and they just loved this place more than Disneyland itself!

Things they loved most at the resort were:

The Menehune Bridge - Water play area for children (only small kids, I believe they have a height restriction of 125cm for them)

The Beach - You can rent a bag of sand toys for free, they loved this and you can also rent boogie boards free of charge, for a fee there are paddle boards etc too.

Aunty's Beach House - They didn't spend much time checked into the beach house, but they did the Stitch's Space Goo activity which you need to sign up for early on the day. They enjoyed this. I also would take my son here during the mornings, they have free play from 8-10am where the parents can come with the child and play, use all of the facilities, do crafts etc.

Lazy River - The kids thought it was awesome floating around in the floaty rings!

The slides - My daughter loved this, my son was a bit scared!

Other things I would recommend are the Ohana Movie Nights. We went to 2, it was such a nice atmosphere. They give you a woven mat to sit on and you watch Disney movies under the stars. They also have games to play prior to the movies for the kids and trivia and Hawaiian crafts. Do the iphone game, where you hunt for the Menehune, and do it when it is almost dark for the out door hunt, the special effects look more magical at night!

We have been to Hawaii 4 times now, so I will give you my thoughts on what I recommend to do whilst there:

Grand Circle Island Tour - We did it whilst we were staying at Waikiki via Robert's Hawaii. They take you around to all the must see spots and it was quite a reasonable price if you book ahead online. If you have a rental car use that instead, then you wont have any time restrictions.

Pearl Harbor is a must see, we have not done it with the kids yet though, want to wait until they are a little older. The Kualoa Ranch is great and have pony rides for the kids and some tours of movie sets.

I would recommend some of the shops but I guess if you are traveling from the US it would not seem as exciting as for us Aussies!

Have a great trip, you will love Aulani!

Be sure to read some of the past trip reports which have a lot of great information and insight. :)

I can't find an Aulani section....where would the Aulani trip reports be hiding? Under DVC? :) Really I know my way around the Dis pretty well but seem to be missing this!

thanks!

I can't find an Aulani section....where would the Aulani trip reports be hiding? Under DVC? :) Really I know my way around the Dis pretty well but seem to be missing this!

thanks!

Do a search in the DVC Trip Reports board (in this same DVC board section)... the Aulani TR's should be in that area.

I always learn a ton by reading TR's!

This DIS page link is also really helpful with hours and prices of things:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/aulani-hawaii-resort/

and it has a link to the most recent DISunplugged video reporting live from Aulani!

We spent 10 days at Aulani and only left the resort for 1 full day other than to just grab groceries etc.

My son was just shy of 6. He loved
~the pool, the waterslide, the lazy river
~the beach
~kids club!
~menehune adventure game
~stich's space goo
~storytelling around the firepit
~community hall
~daily pool parties and pool games in the afternoon

We loved everything about it.

So we are heading to Disneyland and Hawaii in about a month, and I'm not nearly as prepared as I am for a trip to WDW or a cruise.... Haven't even thought much about it honestly because I've been so busy. I've searched thread but really just seeing snippets...soooo...

tell me everything about Aulani and Oahu. Favorite thing to do? What not to do? Best bang for your buck? how was the kids' area. did you go to that 'storytelling' thing at night? how's the beach? Or did you prefer the pool? I saw something about photopass there.... how does that work and where do they lurk?

We're doing 4 nights Aulani and four nights at the Kahala. We have a rental van. I don't want to spend every day schlepping around the island, I want some days just to relax and enjoy the resorts.

So.... tell me what you know!

Thanks a bunch!

We just returned from 8 amazing days at Aulani. Read the various posts throughout the various DVC boards here on DIS for lots of great information. It is a little tricky since there is not a dedicated Aulani section, but there's lots of threads on here about Aulani. You'll find them.

I'll attempt to answer a few of your questions above.

Favorite thing to do?
Hmmm.... so many great things. Snorkeling onsite in the Rainbow Reef, relaxing down the Lazy River, Storytelling, eating shaved ice with the works, discovering little architectural details throughout the resort, visiting with Mickey and friends. And that's just on site.

What not to do?
Umm... leave?

Best bang for your buck?
Ummm... that's a tough one. Hawaii is expensive. Just know it and plan for it. Look for coupons that you can use. They can help.

did you go to that 'storytelling' thing at night?
Twice. Loved it.

how's the beach? Or did you prefer the pool?
Loved the Lazy River and the Rainbow Reef. And the infinity jacuzzi.

I saw something about photopass there.... how does that work and where do they lurk?

It works exactly like at WDW. They are everywhere, including IN the pools, snorkeling reef (yes, IN), and in the Lazy River (yes, IN). Let me know if you need more detailed of an answer, but not really sure what you are looking for information-wise.

We had 7.5 days. All on Oahu. DH's first time in Hawaii. My first time since I was a teenager. We spent 2 full days, all of departure day (about 6 hours) completely at Aulani. The other 5 days, we explored Oahu in various ways and spent the evenings back at Aulani or out and about. Next time, more time just at Aulani, but we felt we needed to venture around Oahu since we had never been and traveled all the way there.

Hope some of this helps,
Dreams

DH and I spent 4 days/nights at Aulani for our honeymoon in November and we loved every minute of it.

Aulani could quite possibly be our best hotel experience ever.

The restaurants, disney atmosphere, the lazy river, the starlit hui, the movie night, the waterslides, the infinity pool, the rainbow reef, the room, the views, the set up, the staff, the tour we organised through Aulani, seeing it for the first time as you drive towards it, Ko'Olina, all of it amazing.

We only had a standard room and we only left for one day (the tour) and a half day to see Waikiki but that was it. Loved it.

We will never go to Hawaii/Oahu without staying at Aulan! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter