Aulani Trip Reports PLEASE!!

How does the parking work? Since there are "pay" machines, how do you get in/out of the structure if you have a DVC member card? Is there a parking attendant at the exit or is it one of those automated parking gate things? Is valet included in the free parking?

Thanks.

Yes. In fact that's how we paid for dinner at Ama Ama. (so glad I didn't pay actual money....way overpriced there.)

I also used a Disney gift card at the gift shop to buy an Aulani windbreaker type coat.

Thanks. That's great news.

I'm a blogger who was at the Grand Opening last week. I have a few articles up here: www.pitstopsforkids.com if you're interested. Another up soon on the Adventures by Disney excursions.

If this thread is just for trip reports, I'm happy to take this post down. Just thought I'd share, since everyone's searching for info on the resort. My stay was fabulous (four nights, pool view room). I attended all the press tours and conducted interviews all week, so if you have any questions, I'm happy to try to answer them. More bloggers who attended the opening can be found at www.bestfamilytraveladvice.com, and you can ask Aulani-related questions there, too!

Aloha!

Just FYI, we stayed for a week and never received any daily 'Iwa. In fact we didn't know it existed untill hearing about it on the podcast. We stayed on DVC points so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I suppose you could go ask for one....but that's only if you know it exists to begin with!

Thanks for the heads up. I will ask about this when we check in if they don't give one to us.

How does the parking work? Since there are "pay" machines, how do you get in/out of the structure if you have a DVC member card? Is there a parking attendant at the exit or is it one of those automated parking gate things? Is valet included in the free parking?

Thanks.

I did a little research on the boards and it says that DVC get free self parking. Just take your ticket to the valet and have them "scan" it or something in order to exit. I assume you just drive in as usual, get your card, then on your way back out to your car stop by valet to show your DVC card and room key, get your parking card validated/scanned and then stick it in the electronic pay machines to get out. I'll be there soon so I will update with my own experiences. Also, valet parking is not included in the free parking, only self parking.

Just FYI, we stayed for a week and never received any daily 'Iwa. In fact we didn't know it existed untill hearing about it on the podcast. We stayed on DVC points so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I suppose you could go ask for one....but that's only if you know it exists to begin with!
We asked at the Bell Desk, where the Daily Ewa is offered, for a weekly schedule like those provided in the WDW Welcome Package. They claimed there was no weekly schedule offered in keeping with the property's "green" policy. (We wondered how printing daily vs weekly was green?)

Reading your post might answer our question ... They don't give out many!

Thanks.
The self park does not have an attendant. To exit, you slide your room key in the automated parking gate thingy.

I'm still trying to clarify the self-park situation. Can guests with a DVC reservation park for free?
I am not a DVC member. I am renting points and staying in a DVC villa. It is not clear if free self-park is offered on all DVC reservations or exclusive to "card holding" DVC members.
Have any non-DVC members stayed in a DVC room? Did you use the parking?
Thanks for sharing your info.

I'm still trying to clarify the self-park situation. Can guests with a DVC reservation park for free?
I am not a DVC member. I am renting points and staying in a DVC villa. It is not clear if free self-park is offered on all DVC reservations or exclusive to "card holding" DVC members.
Have any non-DVC members stayed in a DVC room? Did you use the parking?
Thanks for sharing your info.

We stayed at Aulani the 2nd week of September, before their Grand Opening, and booked a studio for ourselves and a studio for the in-laws, who are not DVC members. They were able to use their room key for parking. It must be free self parking per DVC reservation unless they changed it since...

I only knew about the Iwa from researching online. I had to go get mine every day. I stayed on DVC points. I'm not sure if hotel guests get them every day.

They make them out of the Kukui Nut and also ask you to think of a word that will remind you of Hawaii. My wife chose flower, which is "Pua" in 'Olelo.

Pau-Room-18.JPG

OMG I love it! Total Must Do!

Thanks for posting and cannot wait for your article on the ABD excursions. There has been so little information on these.

It's up now on my site. www.pitstopsforkids.com I loved them both, and other press personnel I was with did the Fire School, and loved that as well. All the excursions were done in true Adventures by Disney form, partnering ABD leaders from Aulani with top tier local tour operators.

Another thing that didn't make it into the article: the operator vetted by Disney who works out of the beach kiosk and offers stand up paddle board lessons was great, too. We took paddle board lessons, and while you can do it without lessons (renting from the kiosk), to include the lesson is only $10 more, and is very personalized. Plus, they take you out of the lagoon if the conditions are ok.

I only knew about the Iwa from researching online. I had to go get mine every day. I stayed on DVC points. I'm not sure if hotel guests get them every day.

Our host gave us the first 'Iwa upon our arrival and check-in (since I checked in online, he met us at the valet and handed us room keys and leis, gave us a tour, and walked us to our room!). After having to go downstairs for the 'Iwa two mornings in a row, I asked housekeeping why it wasn't under our door every night. She told me that they deliver it at turn-down for the hotel guests, but that DVC guests have to go and get it from downstairs. But note: the front desk has the next day's 'Iwa the evening before... so I grab one on our way back up after dinner. :thumbsup2

Anyone here checking into Aulani on Saturday or Sunday (10/1 or 10/2)? I have some sand toys that I'd love to give away. Just PM me with your real name and check-in date so that I can leave them for you. We check out on Sunday. :wizard:

Darn. I had Hal- hoped that since the point requirements are so high, thatbdaily housekeeping was included.

Anyone here checking into Aulani on Saturday or Sunday (10/1 or 10/2)? I have some sand toys that I'd love to give away. Just PM me with your real name and check-in date so that I can leave them for you. We check out on Sunday. :wizard:

Sent you a PM!:wizard:

We're fresh back from Aulani where we had an amazing time. Kudos to Disney for creating such a beautiful resort. It had all the Disney magic without being Disney World (not that there is anything wrong with Disney World!) Aulani offered a wonderful Hawaiian vacation!
We were lucky enough to spend 10 days at the resort and coincidentally we were there during the Grand Opening Ceremonies.
Aulani is just gorgeous and the lagoon is just so pretty and warm! I'm from Boston so even at their best the beaches around here never get that "wahm" ; ) or blue!
The lazy river is much slower than the ones in WDW but it's smaller too so it works out..we loved to grab a tube ride down the slide and just continue right along the river which takes @15 mins to go around if you don't paddle at all.
We saw the most amazing sunsets which you can watch from the infinity hot tubs or for an even better view we walked out to the right of the lagoon in the grassy area there is a path that leads to a small rocky area where you can watch the sunset and it's amazing - I don't advise bringing kids out there. One time Hubby and I stayed out there for two hours (with a bottle of champagne and some pineapple) where we just watched the sun set and the sky change into the most amazing colors. Each time we went out there there were lawn chairs set up.
There is a walking path that follows along the other resorts and 4 lagoons it loops around at the marina which we did a few times and again has beautiful views.
Oh one other (I think) big thing...the views...we stayed in a 1bdrm island view which was a view of the top of the valet parking garage, the brown hill tops, the golf course and the golf course neighborhood - we had 1 night in a studio ocean view....imho totally worth the points...I had the option and could have booked the ocean view 1 bdrm but decided to save the points...I regret it.
Rent a car! If you think you're going to save money by not renting a car let me tell you that you will spend all the money you 'saved' on food at Aulani....the only complaint I have is with the food...there literally are NO breakfast options other than having the buffet breakfast which is $27 pp for banquet food. Ama Ama which is their fine dining was not bad but for the same $$ you can go across the street to Roy's in the Ko Olina Golf Club and have a 4* meal. Just across the street is a Hawaiian BBQ restaurant as well as a Mexican restaurant. One exit up on the highway you can find a Costco, supermarket, restaurants, but you're still in HI so it will still cost you. Blueberries $8 pt - pineapples $1.50 lb. We thought they were $1.50 ea so we bought a few...oops!
I happen to have a friend who lives on the other side of the island so that sort of forced us to 'venture out' but we are so glad we did! Driving on the Island isn't hard at all, there are only a few major roadways. To get to the east coast took us 45 mins (in traffic) and to get to the North Shore 1 hour (a pretty ride near the Dole plantation and Hale'iwa). We were able to stop at our leisure and take pics or stop at the shrimp trucks on the north shore (a must do). If anyone saw GMA's most beautiful places and saw Lanikai Beach it is even more beautiful in person and worth the trip! We went into Waikiki last Saturday and watched a huge parade with beautiful flowered floats! We honeymooned in HI 25 years ago and coincidentally attended the same parade...we went into one of the major hotels on the strip (I think it was a Westin Hotel) where we literally saw (in the short time we were there) at least 8 brides....after walking around Waikiki we stopped back by the hotel (we knew where the bathroom was!) and saw several more brides....it seemed like it was a wedding factory! A gentleman I struck up a conversation with told me that they would easily have 40 weddings there that day....we still didn't figure out how....I don't think they reception there it was more like a destination wedding...situation...it was crazy.
We can only hope to be lucky enough to go back someday but if not it was a bucket list trip!

Thank you for taking the time and sharing. The more I read, the more I am convincing myself to give it a try someday!

Sounds like ocean view is the way to go!

Can anyone tell me more about the shrimp trucks I keep hearing about. What do they serve?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter