Aulani's Hidden Costs

Ive used my Aulani points at every resort at all times of the year save (VGC & VGF where I have contracts) and would sell my Aulani points last if I ever had to liquidate. Absolutely adore the resort and its becoming more and more popular so the rental value is high in peak times.
We adore it too! Frankly, I think it’s the best of all Disney resorts. But the 11 month advantage does matter at WDW, in spite of whatever your experience has been.

I would argue that AKL had been undervalued until recently. I think its current price seems reasonable for a deluxe that offers much more than OKW and SSR.
I agree. And I would buy now if I loved it because frankly I don’t see the price coming down.

I too think buying Aulani just because it’s relatively cheap is not a good idea. And long after the buyer has forgotten the purchase price, those expensive dues will still be there, getting pricier every year…with no 11 month booking window at WDW, and an 11 month Aulani window no one really needs. I own there, but I do because I love it.

Personally, I’d pay a few thousand dollars more for the resort I really want. Also, I think OP’s plan is penny wise and dollar foolish. In the long term, I don‘t think Aulani resale will hold up as well as WDW resorts, so there’s potential gain lost there, plus those high dues that live forever, plus the added cost of getting to Hawaii and vacationing on an island where everything is pricey.

I also wouldn’t bet on being able to buy AKV at some firesale price in a year or two. With the huge number of contracts for sale out there, it’s a buyers‘ market, and in spite of inflation the economy’s fundamentals aren’t bad.
Though some believe Aulani's value won't hold up, the data indicates that it is just as likely as any other legacy resort that has 30+ years left. I've seen many of the same theories - spread out over many years - repeatedly popping up to try and explain why Aulani's value continues to rise despite predictions to the contrary, but the bottom line is that it wouldn't sell at the prices it does if people weren't willing to pay.

As someone who once sat on the Data User Advisory Committee of the BLS, I know a little something about economics, and though I have no delusions that this is some kind of wise financial investment, I've taken a look at the data and done enough research to conclude that DVC is no Wyndham or Marriott, and similarly, that Aulani is no HH or VB. In other words, I've already concluded that the likelihood of losing a lot of money on this is fairly low, while the value I find in it exceeds the value I would find using that money in other ways. I have no debt. I have money in the bank. I have a very sound retirement plan that includes healthcare for life for me and my s/o. And right now, I want to buy into DVC with access to all legacy resorts, get the most points that I can given the amount of money I'm willing to spend while still remaining at a relatively low total cost per point per year (the contract I just entered puts me at $11.54, about a dollar less per point than I could reasonably expect to get AKV right now while trying to outbid ROFR).

To a certain degree, gotta just say to each their own, you know? I'm buying DVC for a lot of reasons, but an 11 month booking window is not one of them. I know it matters to others, but no matter where I buy I would rarely plan a vacation more than 7 months in advance. In a lot of ways that kind of planning is not practical for my life. The argument you're making is coming off as though the only value in DVC is if you're willing to plan that far ahead on a regular basis. Do you really feel that way?

Though some believe Aulani's value won't hold up, the data indicates that it is just as likely as any other legacy resort that has 30+ years left. I've seen many of the same theories - spread out over many years - repeatedly popping up to try and explain why Aulani's value continues to rise despite predictions to the contrary, but the bottom line is that it wouldn't sell at the prices it does if people weren't willing to pay.

As someone who once sat on the Data User Advisory Committee of the BLS, I know a little something about economics, and though I have no delusions that this is some kind of wise financial investment, I've taken a look at the data and done enough research to conclude that DVC is no Wyndham or Marriott, and similarly, that Aulani is no HH or VB. In other words, I've already concluded that the likelihood of losing a lot of money on this is fairly low, while the value I find in it exceeds the value I would find using that money in other ways. I have no debt. I have money in the bank. I have a very sound retirement plan that includes healthcare for life for me and my s/o. And right now, I want to buy into DVC with access to all legacy resorts, get the most points that I can given the amount of money I'm willing to spend while still remaining at a relatively low total cost per point per year (the contract I just entered puts me at $11.54, about a dollar less per point than I could reasonably expect to get AKV right now while trying to outbid ROFR).

To a certain degree, gotta just say to each their own, you know? I'm buying DVC for a lot of reasons, but an 11 month booking window is not one of them. I know it matters to others, but no matter where I buy I would rarely plan a vacation more than 7 months in advance. In a lot of ways that kind of planning is not practical for my life. The argument you're making is coming off as though the only value in DVC is if you're willing to plan that far ahead on a regular basis. Do you really feel that way?
Yes, definitely, to each their own, and you certainly seem to have thought it through. Not sure your experience with the Bureau Of Labor Statistics is of any relevance whatsoever to this discussion, but if it helps you justify buying a timeshare I’m all for it. And I think we all have a pretty good idea of the nature of DVC, even if most of us, alas, are sorely lacking in data user advisory experience. That said, I hope you’ll enjoy Aulani as much as so many of us do! I truly think it surpasses the resorts at WDW, and I hope you’ll enjoy it for years to come!

Obviously, the ability to book a resort 8-11 months before a wider booking population is only one component of DVC, and it certainly has many others as well. But it is a significant one. It’s the cornerstone of the whole “home resort” concept, and I wouldn’t dismiss it so easily. No reason to keep going back and forth on all this, though. If you wind up buying at Aulani, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter