"Australia" the movie

RNMOM

DIS Veteran
DH and I saw this last evening and just loved it. It was pretty long, nearly 3 hours with previews and such. The cinematography was amazing. I am afraid of heights and when they were in the areas with cliffs and such I was sqirming and really anxious. :rotfl:

Nicole Kidman is so perfect as a screen companion to Hugh Jackman. I always liked him but never got too excited but seeing him in this venue, wow. There were so many characters in this movie and a lot of them were vaguely familiar from the Aussie movies I have seen in the past. Being directed by Baz Luhrmann you know there has to be a bit of clowning around but they get that out of the way early on, thankfully. I loved 'Strictly Ballroom and 'Moulin Rouge' and enjoy some of his over the top humor but the seriousness of this movie needed less of that and he managed quiet well.

I learned things about WWII I never knew, like the fact that Australia was bombed for one thing. There are a lot of themes going on in this movie and thankfully they are resolved well. Go see this one. :cool1:

I saw the previews and I loved them. Glad to know that I will like the movie. She reminded me of Katherine Hepburn in the previews.

I'm hoping to see it today with my mom and DH. My MIL was a Wren (Women's Royal Navy) and was stationed in Australia during WWII so after hearing her stories and seeing her pictures, I'm doubly interested in seeing this movie. Thanks for sharing your review and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I am so glad it lived up to its reviews. My friends and I are going to see it tomorrow. It looks great!

This is an epic film on the lines of 'Titanic'. Long and beautiful. The beginning confused me but I was soon engrossed. A wonderful story that sucks you in. Just when you think it is over something else happens.

Loved it. Hopefully the academy will take notice.

Only complaint. Why did Hugh Jackman have to drop the [edited]? Just once but totally unnecessary.

Only complaint. Why did Hugh Jackman have to drop the [edited]? Just once but totally unnecessary.

Actually, in that scene I thought it was quite appropriate.

I saw the movie on Wednesday and I loved it. It's long, but it's worth it. The cinematography is beautiful (I want to visit Australia even more now), I thought Nicole and Hugh were terrific together, and that little boy was just wonderful.

Great movie...they just don't make movies like that anymore!

Just got back a little while ago and we loved it! :thumbsup2 And that little boy was so adorable--I wanted to take him home.

Actually, in that scene I thought it was quite appropriate.

Great movie...they just don't make movies like that anymore!

With a decent vocabulary there is never an appropriate time for the [edited] .:sad2:

Evidently they do still make movies like that? ;)

With a decent vocabulary there is never an appropriate time for the [edited] .:sad2:

I have a decent vocabulary and I find good uses for it all the time. :thumbsup2

Seriously, if my city had just been bombed into oblivion and the bartender was still not letting my friend in because of his skin color, I would have given him the same comment.

Back when casting was still in talks I was really excited for this film, then I forgot. A few weeks ago I seriously spent a week (had some free time) on google, google maps, and flickr "driving" around Australia and planning a dream trip. I wrote out an entire schedule with calculated daily mileage, hotels, attractions...and I was even looking up the bush highways on flickr to see photos of the roads. Then I saw a preview for the movie and I have been dying to see it during this whole obsession over the country. Good to hear some reviews that are positive(!), others have been not so kind.

I too, thought the movie was really great! I'm not one for sitting still that long but I didn't even notice the time. The casting was perfect! I think I'll have to buy this one when it hits the stores. If you haven't seen it...What are you waiting for???:santa:

DH, DD, and I just got home from seeing this fabulously epic movie:goodvibes (DS was already on his way back to college). It also had a great history lesson about the Stolen Generations of Australia and factual events from WW 2. And what's not to like about seeing Hugh Jackman's chest (several times) :woohoo: his hot body in tight jeans and a white tux plus dozens of close ups! He is a very emotionally expressive actor and he and Nicole have great chemistry. There are a couple of scenes in the movie that are very touching: ie. Nicole's character admitting she can't have children and then knowing that she got pregnant during the filming! total 3 thumbs up from all of us popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter