AYCTE Opinion Question- What do YOU think?

Captain UP

Mouseketeer
Hi all. On my last trip, we went to Roundup Rodeo for the first time. WOW. The food is great, but do not plan on eating much anytime after!

So here's my semi-controversial question:

They will bring you basically more of everything at this place. Sides, meats, breads, you name it. Ask nicely and it's yours.

While eating, I noticed that the mom in the family next to us would very kindly ask for more of...well, after a while, she'd asked for more of literally everything. And then when the CM would bring it and then leave, the mom would discreetly slide all of it into a zip lock freezer-sized bag she had in her purse. She repeated this until the thing was completely full.

What do we think about this behavior? Personally, I feel it betrays sort of the spirit of what AYCTE is about. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "stealing", but it just seems sort of tacky to me.

Thoughts?

Hi all. On my last trip, we went to Roundup Rodeo for the first time. WOW. The food is great, but do not plan on eating much anytime after!

They will bring you basically more of everything at this place. Sides, meats, breads, you name it. Ask nicely and it's yours.

While eating, I noticed that the mom in the family next to us would very kindly ask for more of...well, after a while, she'd asked for more of literally everything. And then when the CM would bring it and then leave, the mom would discreetly slide all of it into a zip lock freezer-sized bag she had in her purse. She repeated this until the thing was completely full.

What do we think about this behavior? Personally, I feel it betrays sort of the spirit of what AYCTE is about. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "stealing", but it just seems sort of tacky to me.

Thoughts?
I don't know their story, I do know that they didn't think they were doing anything wrong.

Thoughts?
It’s tacky and it is stealing.
Trying to be discreet about it just means she knew she shouldn’t have been doing it.
But even if the waitstaff did see, are they going to call her out on it? Probably not.

It’s tacky and it is stealing.
Trying to be discreet about it just means she knew she shouldn’t have been doing it.
But even if the waitstaff did see, are they going to call her out on it? Probably not.
Funny you should mention that: I did ask our own CM her thoughts on that (generally speaking- I didn't call the lady out) and she basically said "we know it happens, but we'd never say anything".

Funny you should mention that: I did ask our own CM her thoughts on that (generally speaking- I didn't call the lady out) and she basically said "we know it happens, but we'd never say anything".
For sure. They definitely want to avoid that kind of confrontation.

And when you think about it, it’s not a whole lot different then people who gorge themselves at buffets and AYCTE restaurants to try to get their moneys worth. The food consumption is nearly the same.

It’s just that technically, you are stealing when you continue to request more food that you have no intention of eating at the restaurant and you just want to take it all to go.

I consider it stealing too. Especially huge amounts.

We were at Tusker last year and got to talking with one of the greeters and waitresses a bit. She found out my Dad was not with us (he did not go to the parks with us), and she went and got us some extra cookies and was wrapping them in napkins for us to take home with us for him.

Aside from it being against the policy and not in the spirit of what an aycte restaurant is supposed to be….it also seems like a recipe for food poisoning 🤢 (unless we’re talking rolls or cookies or something shelf stable). Not really something I’d want to risk on a Disney vacation.

Sorry. That's theft. Plain and simple. It's one of the reasons that the toppings bars went away in Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's. It eventually pushes prices higher. ...and everyone knows what is and is not appropriate, even for aycte. It doesn't mean All You Can EVER Eat.

I wouldn't order extra but if I had a small child with me, I'd be tempted to bring along what ever was on their plate. Kids always seem hungry 20 mins later.

It is tacky for someone to stuff large amounts of food to carry away with them and really isn't the intent or spirit of such places. Clearly this person has to know what they are doing is inappropriate. I agree as someone else mentioned, it is generally so hot at Disney, unless you immediately take the food back to your room and it has a refrigerator, the food will go bad walking around with it for too long. I also find that most restaurant entree items unless something like fried chicken don't do well as a leftover.

It is tacky for someone to stuff large amounts of food to carry away with them and really isn't the intent or spirit of such places. Clearly this person has to know what they are doing is inappropriate. I agree as someone else mentioned, it is generally so hot at Disney, unless you immediately take the food back to your room and it has a refrigerator, the food will go bad walking around with it for too long. I also find that most restaurant entree items unless something like fried chicken don't do well as a leftover.
You and the other poster bring up a good point- moral/legal or not, it's still freaking GROSS.

I think in general it would be morally okay to take leftovers from first servings, but not get seconds and take that. One time at Ohana long ago, our “cousin” offered to box up our dessert, as we were too full. But it was the first serving and not sneaking it out.

I think in general it would be morally okay to take leftovers from first servings, but not get seconds and take that. One time at Ohana long ago, our “cousin” offered to box up our dessert, as we were too full. But it was the first serving and not sneaking it out.
Yes, this thread reminded me of how -- practically a generation ago -- our Ohana server gave each of our kids a POG juice to go, in a disposable cup. We didn't ask for it, nor were our kids particularly chugging down juice, as I remember it. I assume the server was just trying to end our brunch on a nice note.

Letting our kids have a big disposable cup of juice would probably make us bad parents now, but I remember our little guys being happy as they walked out.

I can say for sure that we did not stuff a bunch of mickey waffles or bacon into Ziplocs during our meal....

Yeah, at Topolino's the first time, my server boxed up my leftover gluten-free pastries - but they would have been tossed out by the restaurant anyway. And it's not like pastries are going to go bad in the heat. They did get all crumbled with me walking around all day, though, so I decided unless I am staying at Riviera where I could immediately take them to my room on the way out to the parks, I won't take them anymore. I'll just ask for fewer on the plate to begin with.

seems like SO much work--only to save like $20 on a lunch/snack later in the day. I got better things to do while in Disney--than haul around food that has been sitting in a bag for 2-3 hours.

I have heard this story from our very nice waiter at Boma at least 10 years ago. He said people wonder why next prices go up. While this is not the full reason why prices go up it does contribute. We rarely eat at Buffets or AYCTE anymore as it just does not fit how we eat now but I do miss some of the food options. The cold AC and all the options will make us overeat and feel sick the rest of the day.

Not Disney, but - we're not big eaters, but we like some of the "Never ending pasta bowl" choices at a popular Italian chain. Our servers have told us that we're perfectly welcome to take what's left on our plates as long as we don't order a second portion. At Disney, we're frequently offered a beverage refill in a "to go" cup at the end of our meal (in fact we had lunch at Ale and Compass today and the server made the offer).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter