[B]DVC Purchase Advice Wanted[/B]

katied

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
I've read through the boards and thought this through quite a bit, and have decided I want to buy into DVC. With that said, I also think the ideal answer for me would be buying into BWV at the 100 pt level. I know that means I can't buy through Disney. However, after reading about Disney's RFR, do I have any hope of buying what I want?

I think for the next 5 yrs or so, we would be fine with 100 pts, and then I'd want to add on. Would it be better to buy 150 - 200 now, lock in the price, and rent out the extra points? Then I could have less concern on the RFR. What have others done?

Also, my next question is timing. I've already rented points for my October stay, so that's set. Therefore, I would not need to use it until 2007. Should I wait to see what happens in the fall with a potential new resort to buy, or am I better buying in advance (and do you expect prices to go up in the fall)?

Any/all advice is appreciated.

We expect prices to go up in a month. If DVC prices go up, so will the resale prices.

That being said, I would never recommend that anyone buy something they can't afford unless they rent out points. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, so if you NEED to do it you can get in a very tight situation.

Example: If you had points now and HAD to rent them before May 1st it would be very difficult to impossible. Not because you wouldn't have people wanting to rent, but because there are virtually no vacancies throughout Spring break and Easter season. Same thing would happen from October through December because Food & Wine Fest, Jersey Week, followed by Thanksgiving, early December (MOST popular time at DVC), and the Christmas holidays would be all booked. Doesn't matter if you have points - matters if there are any rooms to put the points in. You can't rent points, you rent reservations and it's pretty hard if there are none to be had.

Where did you come up with the fact that 100 points would be enough? Is it based on the DVC point charts for the season and room type you would need? If so, good job with that part. Now, small contracts seem to get snagged up pretty quick on the resale market. I would contact our sponsor ASAP with that. Also as a person who recommends buying DVC only on cash I could never give you the advice to buy more than you can afford and then rent. Get the 100 you decided on. You can always add on later and who knows what DVC Resort will be coming out down the road? It might be the best choice yet for you. Others I'm sure can help with how much to offer per point to pass ROFR. I'll look into it and see what the going rate is now. Good luck with this.

DAVE

I based 100 on the point charts. I normally go in December (although this year I'm giving September a try). I thought that for now, we can live with a studio, so I don't need as many points. Hopefully, at some point, we could add more and have a one bedroom, which would be nicer, but I can afford the 100 points and still have an annual vacation in a studio.

Based on your advice, I've called and left my details on the list with the sponser. I was told that I have a much better chance of getting through ROFR with 100 pt vs 25 or 50 pt contract, and also should expect to pay $85-90 per point.

Thanks!

Katied,

Welcome to the DIS :)

You are making a good decision. Buy what you can afford and add on later as your finances and desires change. Getting in to the program is the biggest decision. Fine tuning later is easier with the experience you will have as a member. Also, once you are in you can add-on through Disney if you want.

I recommend Pat at the Timeshare Store. She has handled purchases and sales for me. She is very good and takes good care of you through out the process. She and the other fine folks at the Timeshare Store know the Disney product and the market. You can rely on their advice.

Best wishes!

katied said:
I based 100 on the point charts. I normally go in December (although this year I'm giving September a try). I thought that for now, we can live with a studio, so I don't need as many points. Hopefully, at some point, we could add more and have a one bedroom, which would be nicer, but I can afford the 100 points and still have an annual vacation in a studio.

Based on your advice, I've called and left my details on the list with the sponser. I was told that I have a much better chance of getting through ROFR with 100 pt vs 25 or 50 pt contract, and also should expect to pay $85-90 per point.

Thanks!

$85-$90 for what resort again, BCV? I'd bid on the high end of that if you really want a contract. DVC has been exercising there ROFR quite a bit lately. At $85 they would snag that one up. Good luck.

DAVE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter