• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

[b]first time at universal - can't decide how many days, please help!![/b]

tamaraten

Mouseketeer
My family (DH, four kids ages 12, 10, 8, and 5) came to Disney World for the first time, from overseas last December for a wonderful trip (5 days).

This December, we have four full days to play with and we were thinking of going to Universal. I am going crazy trying to decide how to do it - how many days should we be there? Originally, I thought we'd be at Universal for 2 days and Disney for 2 days (my kids loved Epcot so I figured we'd go there one day and maybe MK one day). But when I look at the ticket prices to break up the two parks, it's extremely pricey. It's much less expensive to stay at Universal for 4 days.

So then I thought of staying at Universal for 4 days, but the more I've read, the more I see that the consensus seems to be that 2 days at Universal is enough.

Is that right? What should I do with the other 2 days if we go that route? We've never been to Seaworld - is that a must-see? Or the Kennedy Space Centre?

Or should I splurge and do 2 days at Disney???

I'm thoroughly confused. I don't want to rush Universal in 2 days if we need more, but I don't want to overdo Universal either if we can do it comfortably in 2 days.

Also, will my 5 year-old (almost 6) have enough to do at Universal? (he's short and he gets scared on scary rides!)

Last question!- If we're there for December 5-9th, do you think the crowds will be crazy or is that considered low-season? I'm considering an off-site suite which is so much more economical and spacious for the 6 of us, but on the other hand, I've read so much about the "head of the line" treatment you get if you stay on-site. On the other hand, if we're only at Universal 2 days, is it worth it to spend that money for four days at the hotel, just to get that perk? (although it does seem like quite a useful perk).

I've asked tons of questions, but my head is spinning from all the reading and I could use some guidance from people with experience.

Any and all advice would be so appreciated!!!

We stay offsite nowadays and go for a minimum of three days. We like to take our time and ride favorites over again though. Many of those who go for two days just see the highlights and then they are done so it really depends on how you prefer to tour.

Will you want pool time during your trip? Will you want to go to a waterpark or one of the other many attractions in the area? You mentioned Seaworld and it's certainly nice. If you have the interest, the space center is nice too. There are many things to consider.

Your five year will have things to do but not as much as the older kids. Check the Universal website for heights and also to see if he would be fearful of a lot. Would he find a shark scary? What about a metro ride as an earthquake hits? How does he do with simulator or 3-d rides?

We stay offsite nowadays and go for a minimum of three days. We like to take our time and ride favorites over again though. Many of those who go for two days just see the highlights and then they are done so it really depends on how you prefer to tour.

Do you ever feel though that three days is too much? And that you would've wanted to use that 3rd day for something else? Or can you really fill it up all at Universal?

That's a good idea, I'm just wondering if it's too much time there. The good thing with 3 days is that it sounds more relaxing and that you're not under stress to fit everything in.

We're also going to do off-site, just because of the cost and the comfort. We won't do pools or waterparks though.

Have you been to the space centre? Is it for little kids too? It's actually not really my thing but my DH and kids love that stuff! I'd rather go to an amusement park!

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Just click on the QUOTE button and then it will give you a reply box with that person's post quoted. Place your response after that whole quote.

Our first time to Universal, we did 7 days and didn't get bored until the last day. We were staying offsite and it was summer. If you've never been to Sea World, I would get tickets for there if you can.

If your son will do simulators, there are a lot of rides he could ride that aren't scary in the traditional sense. In Universal, the only real thrill rides are Rip Ride Rockit and Revenge of the Mummy. In IOA, Hulk, Dragon Challenge, Dudley's Do Right Falls and Jurassic River Adventure are more thrill rides. I may have overlooked some, but I am sure someone will correct me.

I am a ride chicken, and find a lot to do at Universal. It is a whole different type of park than Disney, but don't go expecting Disney and you will be all right.

Just click on the QUOTE button and then it will give you a reply box with that person's post quoted. Place your response after that whole quote.

Our first time to Universal, we did 7 days and didn't get bored until the last day. We were staying offsite and it was summer. If you've never been to Sea World, I would get tickets for there if you can.

If your son will do simulators, there are a lot of rides he could ride that aren't scary in the traditional sense. In Universal, the only real thrill rides are Rip Ride Rockit and Revenge of the Mummy. In IOA, Hulk, Dragon Challenge, Dudley's Do Right Falls and Jurassic River Adventure are more thrill rides. I may have overlooked some, but I am sure someone will correct me.

I am a ride chicken, and find a lot to do at Universal. It is a whole different type of park than Disney, but don't go expecting Disney and you will be all right.

Thanks for advice re quotes. But if I don't want to quote the whole quote, can I cut off the part that is irrelevant? And can I type in between the quote (for example, if there are a few different parts I want to respond to?)

Have you been to the Kennedy Space Centre? Is it fun?

Re Universal then, would you say 2 days is enough? Or would that be trying to hard to pack things in?

thanks so much for your time!

We are headed to Universal for 3 days in Dec., Disney for 7 days prior. We decided 3 days because we don't want to have to rush through everything, this will probably allow us enough time do to everything and maybe some things twice. Why not do 1 day at SeaWorld and 3 days at Universal?

We are headed to Universal for 3 days in Dec., Disney for 7 days prior. We decided 3 days because we don't want to have to rush through everything, this will probably allow us enough time do to everything and maybe some things twice. Why not do 1 day at SeaWorld and 3 days at Universal?

I was thinking of that, but since we have only 4 days in total (which is so little!), I wasn't sure if spending 3 of them at Universal is a good idea. Should I maybe try for doing Universal in 2 days and then another day each for 2 other places?

I also considered the Space Centre - have you been there?

Are you staying onsite or off? (That's my other huge dilemma, but there's such a vast difference in price for a family of 6 between off-site and on-site).

thanks.

Staying onsite one night will give you the FOTL perks for 2 days... check in and check out day. You could stay one night onsite and 3 offsite.

We have a trip planned for March. We are staying onsite 4 nights, but only 3 park days. Our plan is to enjoy our resort and luau on our arrival day, spend one day at each park and then go back and do our favorites on the 3rd park day.

If you are trying to do/see all that both parks offer in 2 days, I think you will feel rushed. I would do one day at each park (US & IoA) then use your 3rd day to ride favs and see anything you missed. Then go to Seaworld on your 4th day. Will you have a rental car?

We have the same problem. We go in June and can't decide on time allowances either. Someone told us that we needed at least 1 day per each of the Univeral parks minimum. Which comes to 2 days, but a 3 or 4 day pass doesn't cost that much more. So we are opting to set 2 days aside but buy a 3 or 4 day pass and if we get a chance to go back then we can...we have a couple of up in the air days so hopefully. ;)

We just did 2 half days at Kennedy (and some Cocoa beach time). I think the kids enjoyed Kennedy enough, probably because they rarely get to see each other so were just having fun with that. For me, it was interesting enough and fun to see once, but overall I didn't find it extremely exciting. So if you do go, I'd go at the start of the trip and save the fun stuff for later!

Kennedy is time consuming if you do the bus stops. So we did that one day. Then went back a second day to see an Imax movie and ride the one ride (which is very lame IMO and took way too long to board). It would probably depend on how much your kids like science and rockets and whether they've had any exposure to that. Both DD and I have, so it wasn't that new and exciting to us.

I'm sure DD would say her favorite thing about Kennedy was the 1/2 day we spent at Cocoa beach playing in the waves!

Sea World does have some rides, but mostly it is shows so keep that in mind. If you do Sea World I highly recommend the dolphin feeding -- it's the highlight for sure.

AS for US, I think 2 days is doable, but 3 is probably better. We did 2 days with lots of repeats of rides, but didn't find the time to squeeze in many of the shows, so we didn't get to see and do everything in those 2 days and we were there for early opening and until closing both days.

Staying onsite one night will give you the FOTL perks for 2 days... check in and check out day. You could stay one night onsite and 3 offsite.

We have a trip planned for March. We are staying onsite 4 nights, but only 3 park days. Our plan is to enjoy our resort and luau on our arrival day, spend one day at each park and then go back and do our favorites on the 3rd park day.

If you are trying to do/see all that both parks offer in 2 days, I think you will feel rushed. I would do one day at each park (US & IoA) then use your 3rd day to ride favs and see anything you missed. Then go to Seaworld on your 4th day. Will you have a rental car?

Very good advice. The thing is, we will be arriving really late (around midnight) on a Saturday night. So checking in on-site won't help us for that day. It would be a waste of the perk. I don't know how to coordinate that idea though. Also, I think then that going to the on-site place would be a disappointment for everyone because we'll still have that 3rd day without perks! That would be a bit hard to manage I would think.

We will have a rental car.

We just did 2 half days at Kennedy (and some Cocoa beach time). I think the kids enjoyed Kennedy enough, probably because they rarely get to see each other so were just having fun with that. For me, it was interesting enough and fun to see once, but overall I didn't find it extremely exciting. So if you do go, I'd go at the start of the trip and save the fun stuff for later!

Kennedy is time consuming if you do the bus stops. So we did that one day. Then went back a second day to see an Imax movie and ride the one ride (which is very lame IMO and took way too long to board). It would probably depend on how much your kids like science and rockets and whether they've had any exposure to that. Both DD and I have, so it wasn't that new and exciting to us.

I'm sure DD would say her favorite thing about Kennedy was the 1/2 day we spent at Cocoa beach playing in the waves!

Sea World does have some rides, but mostly it is shows so keep that in mind. If you do Sea World I highly recommend the dolphin feeding -- it's the highlight for sure.

AS for US, I think 2 days is doable, but 3 is probably better. We did 2 days with lots of repeats of rides, but didn't find the time to squeeze in many of the shows, so we didn't get to see and do everything in those 2 days and we were there for early opening and until closing both days.

Would you do Sea World over Kennedy?

Also, in December, is it a good idea to do Sea World - aren't there many rides where you get soaked? Then if it's cold out, it's not fun. I imagined that Sea World is better in the hot weather. Is that not right? I really don't know, having never been there.

Very good advice. The thing is, we will be arriving really late (around midnight) on a Saturday night. So checking in on-site won't help us for that day. It would be a waste of the perk. I don't know how to coordinate that idea though. .

We are driving to Orlando and will get there late as well, so we are staying offsite the first night and then staying one night at one of the Universal resorts. I called and talked with someone at Universal and we can check in as early as we want and they will hold our luggage for us. They also will give you a temporary room key that will get you into the early entry part of the park on that check in day. So you have 2 opportunities to take advantage of the early entry...check in day and check out day. We stay offsite for the rest of our vacation (when we aren't at WDW) and use the rest of our 3 or 4 day passes to go back and hit the high points.

We are driving to Orlando and will get there late as well, so we are staying offsite the first night and then staying one night at one of the Universal resorts. I called and talked with someone at Universal and we can check in as early as we want and they will hold our luggage for us. They also will give you a temporary room key that will get you into the early entry part of the park on that check in day. So you have 2 opportunities to take advantage of the early entry...check in day and check out day. We stay offsite for the rest of our vacation (when we aren't at WDW) and use the rest of our 3 or 4 day passes to go back and hit the high points.

That's a great strategy. With us, though, since we have only 4 days total, then on Day 3 (after we've done 2 days of the 3 day pass to Universal) we'll be at another place, and then have to return to Universal from off-site and without any perks. I guess what you're saying is that that wouldn't be so bad after we've had two good "perky" days there, right?

But that would mean a lot of moving for just 4 days! First for the first arriving-at-midnight night, then move to on-site for one night, then another place for 3. Might be a bit exhausting to do that, especially after long day at park.

where are you staying off-site for your first night when you arrive late? Any good suggestions in case I go that route?

Also, to take advantage of the early entrance on your first day, won't you have to check into the hotel extraordinarily early?

where are you staying off-site for your first night when you arrive late? Any good suggestions in case I go that route?

Also, to take advantage of the early entrance on your first day, won't you have to check into the hotel extraordinarily early?

We stayed at the La Quinta - International Drive North. And then took a taxi over to RPR. I'd recommend checking in at RPR around 7:15 am in order to get to IOA for 8am early entry. We got to RPR around 7:30 and our room was ready, which was nice. But we were a bit tardy in getting to the IOA gate.

My strategy for you:

off-site Saturday nite Hotel A.

Sunday- Sea World

offsite Sunday nite Hotel A.

Monday- check in early, then on to US (opens at 9A)

Monday nite- Universal Hotel

Tuesday- IOA (if you want to see Harry then get there earlier than 9)

Tuesday nite- Universal Hotel

Wednesday- IOA/US

Wednesday nite- Universal Hotel/or hotel of your choice

Thursday- check out, or if at Universal Hotel, then pack up the car, back to IOA for a few rides, breakfast, then leave. ;)

It's not mandatory to be at US exactly at 9AM. So, it's easier to be late getting there and still be ok. At IOA, because of Harry Potter (I think since you'd be a guest you can enter the park earlier?) I would enjoy already being nearby to get into that park early.

Thanks for advice re quotes. But if I don't want to quote the whole quote, can I cut off the part that is irrelevant? And can I type in between the quote (for example, if there are a few different parts I want to respond to?)

Have you been to the Kennedy Space Centre? Is it fun?

Re Universal then, would you say 2 days is enough? Or would that be trying to hard to pack things in?

thanks so much for your time!

I don't think some people appreciate it if you cut off their posts. I would just highlight the part of their post you want to respond to and then click the big B above the box to bold that part.

If you have FOTL, I think 2 days is plenty. We did 2 days this past summer with FOTL, and did pretty much everything(not RRR or Hulk, but everything else) Only thing is, with 6 people, you will need 2 rooms, which will be at least $400/night.

Summer before last we stayed at the Hyatt Place Universal right across the street. We had a big room with 2 queen beds and a full size sleeper, plus a large living area, free wireless, fridge and a free continental breakfast. We stayed there 6 nights and loved it! We did not have FOTL, of course, but I still think we could have ridden everything and our favorites more than once in 2-3 days. I would plan on a day at Sea World, which is close by. I don't know if I could do one day in Disney and stop, LOL

Marsha

Remember that Universal includes more for children than just rides. Universal Studios has a whole area devoted to children (Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone), which includes Fieval's Playland play area (http://www.universalorlando.com/Theme_Parks/Universal_Studios_Orlando/Attractions/fievels.aspx#), Curious George, a water attraction (http://www.universalorlando.com/The...tractions/curious_george.aspx?intsrch=curious george), and ET Adventure, which is a ride (http://www.universalorlando.com/The..._Orlando/Attractions/et_movie_adventure.aspx#). In addition to Seuss Landing, Islands of Adventure has Camp Jurassic play area (http://www.universalorlando.com/Amu...tractions/Childrens_Rides/camp_jurassic.aspx#) and a child-friendly Jurassic Park Discovery Center (http://www.universalorlando.com/Amu..._park_discovery_center.aspx?intsrch=discovery center).

It seems to me you could easily spend 3 days at Universal Studios, especially if you like to take your time.

True...with only 4 days you may meet yourself coming and going. Is there not a happy medium place that you could stay that would just make a short drive to all your destinations?

I have not found the place that we are going to stay offsite yet. There are several that I am looking into and I found them on hotels.com. We are looking at budget ones and some of the reviews have been fantastic. The prices have been even better...most around $50 a night! Woo hoo!! I will keep you posted if I find anything that we can't pass up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter