B2B changes

When I read the post about positive testing for B2B after maiden voyage, the way I read it was that approximately 100 people were denied boarding. Not 100 positive tests. Negative people sharing a room with positive people would have been denied boarding also. I believe that post indicated that 20 staterooms were involved.
Those numbers don't add up. If only 20 staterooms were involved for 100 people turned away, then that would be 5 people per stateroom. Everyone's been saying that the maiden voyage had very, very few children, which implies that most staterooms didn't have anywhere near five people in them.

And, since they're using antigen tests for B2B cruises, there's a high chance that anyone sharing a stateroom with someone who tested positive will also have Covid-19, or will develop it over the next couple of days, even if their antigen test came back negative.

The more I read thread like this, the more more I am about longer cruises.. 3-4 nights, ok.. you get off before you really start feeling like crap, IF you get bad symptoms.. what about 7 plus nights.. that could turn into a misearable sailing if you have a fever etc...

we hate the idea of having to pack before the second cruise but with the higher than expected positive tests coming with B2B travelers, it definitely makes sense.

I would not like to have cast member packing our stuff. It is hard enough for us to pack it and not forget anything.................I dont want the risk of others doing it for me.

If they are still doing this in September, I will prob bring some big reusable bags (like the ones Disney sells) and can put things in there. Easy to drop miscellaneous things in and easy to unload. Rather than packing everything up nicely as if I was really leaving. Still convenient for the cast members to grab but not a horrible inconvenience for me.

Repacking for a 3/4 b2b, easy. Repacking for a 7/7 b2b….ugh. I also use zip lock bags for throwing things in.

It's probably a good idea to just live out of your suitcase on the first leg of a B2B now. With the raised bed, this should be easy. Just leave the suitcases opened and slide them under and grab from them as needed.

We did the b2b MC and first public cruise. We changed rooms so we had to pack. We just left the bags in the room and they took our luggage to our second room. We kept a duffle bag for the following day.

We got off, got tested, went back into the terminal and then back on the boat at 11:30 or so. Our room was not ready until 2pm. They have the hallways blocked off until 2pm.

There were quite a few families, both adults only and those with kids who got denied boarding due to testing positive.

Cheers

It's probably a good idea to just live out of your suitcase on the first leg of a B2B now. With the raised bed, this should be easy. Just leave the suitcases opened and slide them under and grab from them as needed.
That is what my family will do more than likely. It isn't ideal but will just have to live with it.

This is what RCCL did in December.
Why not test people the night before then, instead of testing them at port? It would solve all the issues about testing positive and the staff having to pack, or now having to pack for no reason.
This totally makes sense. Have Anyone doing back to back shows up at medical between certain hours the day before disembarking and it’s done. If you’re positive you quarentine in your room till you disembark, they set a time for you and any others to leave and it’s all done. There is time in the evening after testing to set up with guest services to either rebook or get your money back. Not quite as stressful as having to make instant decisions.

Last edited:
This totally makes sense. Anyone doing back to back shows up at medical between certain hours the day before disembarking and it’s done. If you’re positive you quarentine in your room till you disembark, they set a time for you and any others to leave and it’s all done. There is time in the evening after testing to set up with guest services to either rebook or get your money back. Not quite as stressful as having to make instant decisions.
I agree. We start our B2B cruise on Friday. This testing in the middle has definitely got me worried. I would much rather know the night before so when we pack up...its because we are getting off the ship for good.

I agree. We start our B2B cruise on Friday. This testing in the middle has definitely got me worried. I would much rather know the night before so when we pack up...its because we are getting off the ship for good.

But what if you test negative the night before and then 12 hours later you test positive? That happens pretty frequently, especially with these variants. A few hours can be the difference between a negative and positive test.

But what if you test negative the night before and then 12 hours later you test positive? That happens pretty frequently, especially with these variants. A few hours can be the difference between a negative and positive test.
Well, but then what if you test negative on the turnaround morning and then you'd test positive on the first night of the second cruise, 12 hours later?

I don't think there's a perfect solution here. Testing the night before would at least remove some of the anxiety for guests and allow them to start planning for what to do when they get off the ship. I'd think that Disney would prefer this, too, instead of dealing with these extra cases on embarkation morning when they're already super busy.

Honestly the current protocols aren't keeping covid off the cruise ships anyways. Right now it just seems to be a big safety theater and causing so much stress before and during cruise. This is coming from someone who has been ultra safe and supportive of various covid requirements over the past 2 yrs and I still plan on masking a lot on the ships.

I also checked the other major lines and most of them have stopped doing B2B testing since March! Even for longer cruises (like 5 night/8 night b2b) and even if you get off that ship and onto another one. Disney is one of the lone hold-outs.

Well, but then what if you test negative on the turnaround morning and then you'd test positive on the first night of the second cruise, 12 hours later?

I don't think there's a perfect solution here. Testing the night before would at least remove some of the anxiety for guests and allow them to start planning for what to do when they get off the ship. I'd think that Disney would prefer this, too, instead of dealing with these extra cases on embarkation morning when they're already super busy.

That probably happens too, but Disney wants people tested when they want them tested. And it's not about what is more convenient for the guests.

What if you would test positive the 2 nd day of the cruise - but they aren’t testing then, so you’d be walking all over the ship spreading covid. Other than testing every hour or two you’ll never “know “ for sure. At this point in time everyone knows the risks and what minimal precautions you can take. You either cruise or you don’t. You either go on with your life or stay hidden away because something might occur.

What if you would test positive the 2 nd day of the cruise - but they aren’t testing then, so you’d be walking all over the ship spreading covid. Other than testing every hour or two you’ll never “know “ for sure. At this point in time everyone knows the risks and what minimal precautions you can take. You either cruise or you don’t. You either go on with your life or stay hidden away because something might occur.
My point was that testing the night before the end of the first leg of a back-to-back cruise is no better or worse than testing in between the two cruises.

We did a B2B on the Dream in mid-July. We stayed in the same room and did not have to pack up. However, I brought my own tests with us from home and tested us the night before to alleviate some of the stress of the next morning. I also figured if we were positive, we could pack up our own stuff! Luckily, we were negative but out of at least 9 other families we saw, only 2 others made it back on board with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter