Back to the Island-Double Dip Delight!Western COMPLETE~Cruising with a baby w/PICS!

Yay for an update!!! I loved it!!!!!

We missed the galley tour this time so thank you for the advice! :)

Can't wait to see more pictures! :)

Thanks! Yep the Galley tour was cool. Definitely try to catch it if you can.

we missed the galley tour also.. I believe we were beer tasting LOL.

You had great seats for the "graduation" too.

OH and SUSHI how did i miss that.. darn it oh well NEXT TIME i guess LOL.

Looks like yall had a great sea day.

Yep..LOL I think Ron was actually just standing along the wall. I wasn't there cause I had to get a shower & get ready. I've seen it before though!
I just found the kids in that pic too!

Yeah - another update. Sarah looks like she was having fun in the water!!

Oh yeah she sure did! The perplexed look on her face when the fountains turned off and the water disappeared was priceless!

Keep the updates coming! You're closing in on a year...;)
I hope I get done before that. I'm gonna try!

Awesome trip report. I can't wait for the next update.

Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad you are enjoying it! :goodvibes

Thanks for the update Jen!:thumbsup2 I'm sorry to see that you guys changed your cruise dates for next year while I was AWOL this past week.:sad2: I feel like I have gotten to know you. Maybe some day we'll meet up on board.:confused3

Thanks for the update Jen!:thumbsup2 I'm sorry to see that you guys changed your cruise dates for next year while I was AWOL this past week.:sad2: I feel like I have gotten to know you. Maybe some day we'll meet up on board.:confused3

Yeah..I will miss cruising with you! We didn't really want to change...until we REALLY started thinking about how great a Halloween cruise could be....and the more we thought about it the more it sounded like SO much fun! When the kids caught wind of what we were talking about, it was over. We always thought they wouldn't want to be away from home on Halloween, boy were we wrong! :rotfl2:

I agree...I hope we get to sail together someday!:goodvibes

Thank you for another great update, Jen! Just like pperfectmom just said, I was away for a while and when I came back, realized that I won't be seeing you in person after all as we're not on the same cruise together anymore. Now I won't get to read another one of your trip reports about the very cruise I was on, what a pity!

Anyway, I hope you and your loved ones will all have great fun on your halloween cruise (we considered that one as well prior to booking the earlier one, but the earlier one ended up working out better for us concerning the dates), and I will look forward to reading yet another trip report from you afterwards!

Thank you for another great update, Jen! Just like pperfectmom just said, I was away for a while and when I came back, realized that I won't be seeing you in person after all as we're not on the same cruise together anymore. Now I won't get to read another one of your trip reports about the very cruise I was on, what a pity!

Anyway, I hope you and your loved ones will all have great fun on your halloween cruise (we considered that one as well prior to booking the earlier one, but the earlier one ended up working out better for us concerning the dates), and I will look forward to reading yet another trip report from you afterwards!

Aww thanks! I am sad to leave behind some great people I already consider friends! :hug: But I know you guys will have a wonderful time! Ron said you guys got our old SV room , that is great! :)

:goodvibes

Aww thanks! I am sad to leave behind some great people I already consider friends! :hug: But I know you guys will have a wonderful time! Ron said you guys got our old SV room , that is great! :) :goodvibes

Yes we really did, I just wasn't totally sure that I remembered correctly and it had indeed been your room (the info had already been erased from the roll call), but apparently I was right!
We are so looking forward to the room and we will have a drink on the balcony in your honour :).
Oh, and of course when we get off the ship after the week is over, we will try not to envy you guys too much for the fact that you still have it all in front of you! ;)

Thanks for another great update! I am sorry you did not win Bingo, I am surprised the jackpot went to someone with a paper card, all you hear around the boards is that the winners all have the electric. I hope next time you are able to win something. Your kids are too cute! The graduation looks like fun. I am sorry the cruise is coming to a close, but keep the updates coming! :thumbsup2:

Great trip report just finished catching up. Getting really excited for our Western in just over 5 weeks. Looking forward to the next installment.

I just found your TR and thoroughly enjoyed but to my dismay, you haven't finished! :eek:

I love all your port adventures. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

Yes we really did, I just wasn't totally sure that I remembered correctly and it had indeed been your room (the info had already been erased from the roll call), but apparently I was right!
We are so looking forward to the room and we will have a drink on the balcony in your honour :).
Oh, and of course when we get off the ship after the week is over, we will try not to envy you guys too much for the fact that you still have it all in front of you! ;)

We are honored to have you drink to us! :blush: :hug:

Thanks for another great update! I am sorry you did not win Bingo, I am surprised the jackpot went to someone with a paper card, all you hear around the boards is that the winners all have the electric. I hope next time you are able to win something. Your kids are too cute! The graduation looks like fun. I am sorry the cruise is coming to a close, but keep the updates coming! :thumbsup2:

Yeah we were really suprised too. One of the other winners of the lower prized games had a paper card too IIRC. I was glad to see that and wished we had gone that route instead! :goodvibes

Great trip report just finished catching up. Getting really excited for our Western in just over 5 weeks. Looking forward to the next installment.
Thanks for reading! Enjoy your cruise coming up!! :cool2: (I hope to get it done before you go!)

I just found your TR and thoroughly enjoyed but to my dismay, you haven't finished! :eek:

I love all your port adventures. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

Thanks...I'm sorry I haven't finished yet! Taking 10 months is a little bit excessive I know but each installment takes a few hours and a lot of the time I intend to get started on a new segment and then something else comes up....

I hope to get it totally done in the next couple of weeks!:thumbsup2

Congrats on your upcoming wedding AND HONEYMOON CRUISE! :bride:

("A picture’s worth a thousand words, just ask a camera man!")

After the kids club/lab graduation we were more than a bit rushed to get ready for semi-formal night, and our favorite of the onboard shows, Disney Dreams. I have already expressed my disdain for the 5:00 graduation time slot. I don’t even know how the 5:45 seating made it to dinner on time. Luckily for us we had an extra half hour to get ready before the 6:15 show, and we needed every second of it. And I cannot say enough about having the extra room and full extra bathroom. As much as I extolled the necessity of the split bath, can I emphasize how much better it is to have a full 2nd bathroom? We could not have existed on this cruise without it (OK we could have, but we would have been late for everything).

As it was this evening we were running way later than I liked. We split up as we headed down to catch the show- Ron went up to grab drinks as is our practice and I took the kids into the theater to grab seats. We were much too late to snag our preferred seats right behind the wide aisle, in fact we were pretty lucky to get seats at all, taking aisle seats on the far left pretty close to the back. The show began right as we were seated, and as I got Sarah out of her seat I noticed she needed a diaper change! In hindsight maybe I should have left her diaper until after the show and waved her butt around a lot...but you know, hindsight is always 20/20.
I ran off to the bathroom and took care of that mess, missing the whole opening to the show (let me just say that fruity drinks + high heels + confined space + rocking boat + wiggly baby + poop= quite a...um…experience). When I returned I noticed that the two seats in front of us (a couple of the only seats in the theater that had still been available) were now taken by a small couple with a large camera. Now let me just say I am an avid picture taker myself (not to be confused with photographer!) and I can turn a blind eye to a smattering of annoyances, including the occasional flash photo or the glare of a camera or cell phone LCD. But the onslaught of what we experienced was far from the occasional shot. Dude with the massive camera lens bigger then my arm started clicking away as if he were paparazzi on the red carpet with Britney Spears. It was that obnoxious. And you know it wouldn’t have been nearly as awful if EVERY SINGLE PHOTO was not with the flash! I mean geez we were waaaaaaay in the back of the theater, there is no way that flash was making any impact on the pictures (which is possibly why he kept looking at the display trying to figure out WHY IN THE WORLD they were fuzzy and out of focus.) Eventually he just kept snapping constantly in apparent hopes that some of the pictures would come out.

Try as much as I did, I had a hard time enjoying the show. In the brief fleeting seconds I did not have spots in front of my eyes from the onslaught of flashes I couldn’t help but be distracted by the huge honkin’ 6 inch LCD on the back of his Nikon. Don’t people know they can turn those things off and use the viewfinder?!?! Ay. As much as I tried to contain myself I did begin to grumble a bit both under and over my breath. Now as I mentioned I have been known to take the occasional flash photo (occasional being the key word here...I am a sucker for the cats, the foot, and the dog in POTC and the cheetah and chick with all the arms in IASW), but I would never dream of the obnoxious constant flashing that we and everyone in the immediate area were enduring. Eventually I sneered rather loudly under my breath to Ron something to the effect of “Someone with a camera that good should know flashes aren’t effective more than 15 feet away”. He did tone it back quite a bit afterwards. And crazy camera dude, if you are reading this, my apologies to calling you out on the internet but it was way over the top.

(We still loved the show and I think it just gets better each time we see it!)

The plan after the show was to get lifestyle portraits in our semi-formal getup. We took full advantage of being at the back of the theater and scrambled among the first out of the doors and hightailed it to the atrium for the picture lines. It was like a reunion of old friends as we were in front of Drea and gang and also saw Val, Denise, Kimberly, Amy, and Melodie among others in various spots throughout the atrium. Drea and her family and Val and hers (in their Steelers jerseys LOL!) were most generous, having to endure a bit of a wait for their photo opportunity as we tried almost in vain to get Sarah to smile. I was yelling, hooting, squawking, shaking keys, jumping up and down, and doing all manner of other things making myself look like a fool smack dab in the middle of the atrium, but hey…look at what a great picture we got! (my avatar) And many thanks to my patient friends, after obnoxious camera man in the show; I so did not want to be “that person” inconveniencing others!

We hung in the area taking more pictures and killing time.

cruise132-1.jpg

cruise142-1.jpg

cruise145-1.jpg

As we made our way aft towards Parrot Cay for dinner, passing the Promenade Lounge, Savannah could not resist the small band playing a rather garish version of “Umbrella” by Rhianna (Ella-ella-eh-eh-eh was all I could think of the rest of the night) and daddy and daughter headed to the dance floor:

cruise137-1.jpg

cruise139-1.jpg

cruise135-1.jpg

I chatted with Amy a bit as we observed the fun. Normally the guitar/singer duo was playing here to an empty lounge, but tonight there were quite a few families (mostly kids) dancing and enjoying the music. And hey, it beat standing in the dinner line.

Speaking of dinner, boy we were hungry! Tonight’s menu was Captain’s Gala…more casually known amongst us Disers as LOBSTER NIGHT! We were quickly seated and as always greeted by Candice who got the kids busy with their menus….

cruise154.jpg

(Important stuff here!)

cruise153-2.jpg

For appetizers Ron chose the garlic and herb sautéed shrimp though admittedly he doesn’t recall it. I had the fruit cocktail which was drizzled in a creamy honey sauce. For salads we both chose the Garden Fresh salad with tomato chips and balsamic dressing. The salads were good. Entrée selections were no brainers for everyone at the table but me. The kids had the usual; Minnie’s Mini Burger and Ron would be having all-he-can-eat lobster tail. I am not a big lobster aficionado, nor was I enthralled by the other choices: salmon, veal, venison and chicken with fettuccini in an Alfredo sauce which I am not a fan of white sauces. I believe I chose the lighter fare sirloin for my entrée.

Oh sure…so now she smiles….

cruise156-2.jpg

cruise157-1.jpg

The kids meals were fine, though the vegetables went untouched as always (geez I didn’t have the heart to make them eat the veggies on vacation!). The lobster tails were small but good enough, Ron had I think two of them. My steak was OK. Normally I am a steak snob…as I hate fat with a passion, so usually I will only have filet or tenderloin cut. This evening I had to settle for sirloin. I’m pretty sure it tasted okay though. It may have been a bit rare for my taste (I like medium well) but I do know it wasn’t as bad as the prime rib I had earlier in the week. I do remember the baked potato was very good, which then again speaks volumes.

cruise155-1.jpg

cruise160-1.jpg

Once again, dessert was where it was at this meal. Warm Chocolate Lava Cake was what we decided on hands down. I also had a hankering for cherries jubilee, but the plan was to hit the midnight dessert buffet so I managed to resist the urge to order two dessert selections. And oooh, let me just tell you the lava cake is the second best dessert on DCL…. (Second to the Palo chocolate soufflé) Accompanied with vanilla ice cream and oozing with creamy hot fudge it was to die for. (I don’t have a picture of it; sorry...it was gone too quick!)

As disappointing as the entrée may have been for me, I still managed to leave the dining room bursting full. Not just satisfied but stuffed. It was already a little after 10:00 and with the dessert buffet a little over an hour away; I was really concerned I would not have the appetite for it.

As we emerged into the atrium, we could not resist the relatively short line for Minnie all decked out in her best: (note Brendan already had his tie off! :rotfl2:)

cruise164-1.jpg

We then made our usual stop at the Deck 9 drink station before heading back to the rooms to change and relax a bit. On the way we stopped at the club to pick up some artwork or something Savannah did and we never did find it. Back in the rooms, we had some beautiful creatures awaiting our return: on Savannah’s pillow, an angel:

cruise171-2.jpg

cruise172-1.jpg

And on ours a gorgeous peacock (or a turkey as we joked it could also possibly be).

cruise169-1.jpg

Pretty nice, and we didn't even pay for REAS (though we suspect someone on Calvin's route did, explaining the extra rose petals).

As I got Sarah changed, and also as I got myself changed and in bed where I fed Sarah her bottle, it was rather quickly apparent I was too exhausted and still too full to even consider heading down to check out the midnight dessert buffet. When I expressed my desire to not remove myself from bed, Ron decided he would take the kids to see the Midnight showing (opening night) of Beverly Hills Chihuahua. I said I would get Sarah to bed and get the packing started (although all I ended up having the energy to do was pack up the FE gifts, of which I took a snapshot of all of them on the couch for posterity.

cruise174-1.jpg

I fell asleep watching Nancy Grace (a little re-connection with the real world), and was only slightly disturbed when Ron dragged back in a little while later (after all of them had fallen asleep during the movie).

We had a big day ahead, our second...and sadly last at Castaway Cay and our first character breakfast at sea.

Coming Up: Back to the Island

Well we can rule me out as obnoxious camera guy.. Im just snoring passed out gal LOL

As I told you before yall didnt take any time at all.. you were quick in your picture taking and I didnt even notice ya jumping around, I was too busy yelling at the boys that they were GOING TO TAKE PICS darn it LOL

AWW man, I need to get a jump on it and finish my 1st.. your close! AHH LOL ahh man but dont be over no one else from our cruise is doing a trippy.. everyones finished... Well except Arin.. maybe we can bug her to finish hers LOL

Well we can rule me out as obnoxious camera guy.. Im just snoring passed out gal LOL

As I told you before yall didnt take any time at all.. you were quick in your picture taking and I didnt even notice ya jumping around, I was too busy yelling at the boys that they were GOING TO TAKE PICS darn it LOL

AWW man, I need to get a jump on it and finish my 1st.. your close! AHH LOL ahh man but dont be over no one else from our cruise is doing a trippy.. everyones finished... Well except Arin.. maybe we can bug her to finish hers LOL

LMAO...yeah Arin has a ways to go...:rolleyes1:rotfl:

Hey at least you have a BIG WDW trip to write about, I ain't got nuttin!
Of course I could have written about or trip earlier this year but I didn't want to start that one til I was done with this one and well...by the time I'd get around to that we'll have gone again, so....;)

Loved the update!!!!! :) :thumbsup2

Thanks! :goodvibes

Great update - so strange to see the pictures of little Sarah and knowing she's now walking around causing all kinds of trouble!!

Great update - so strange to see the pictures of little Sarah and knowing she's now walking around causing all kinds of trouble!!

I know..she looks so different now...and let me just tell you it is so much worse than that, this girl will be able to climb the rock wall on RCCL. she climbs up onto the couch, our bed (which is almost taller than her, onto the end tables in the living room, oh and totally on top of the kitchen counter. :eek: She is so much trouble! ;) Takes after daddy! :rolleyes1

The week was sure flying by, and here we were already at Friday. We have come to realize that for whatever reason the week we cruise is always the shortest week of the year. Don’t ask me how that happens! Plans for this, our last full day onboard included our Character Breakfast, fun in the sun on Castaway Cay, and a lot of packing.

Sarah had the whole morning booked in Flounders Reef so that we could take in some bike riding and maybe….just maybe…. finally make it out to Serenity Bay for the first time! It was not originally supposed to be our character breakfast morning, that came about due to the rotation changes. In fact we didn’t know at all that it had changed from Thursday to Friday until Tuesday when my cruise mate Val mentioned it to me at Margaritaville. So we decided Sarah probably wouldn’t mind missing it too much and decided to just take her to Flounders as planned. That would also enable us to move quickly through breakfast so we could get out onto the island.

Having spent many a character meal in the parks waiting….and waiting….for that one last elusive straggler (always the character you really wanted to see) I was wondering about the length of the meal and how much time we would spend waiting around for the characters to get to us. As it turned out, the dining room was fairly sparsely populated (due I’m sure to the fact that we were in CC and not at sea) and things moved along at a decent pace. As soon as we were seated at our table (awesome location at the end of the center aisle) and we served our drinks, the party started.

We did NOT have to wait long for our first visit:

In fact our furry friends visited the table in rapid succession.

cruisre002.jpg

cruisre003.jpg

cruisre008.jpg

cruisre005.jpg

cruisre006.jpg

Pluto was being mischievous:

cruisre007.jpg

The only one that took a little bit longer to arrive was the big cheese himself.

cruisre009.jpg

Our service was spectacular as always and we had eaten (the food was typical breakfast fare) and met all the characters in a span of about a half-hour to 40 minutes, which was great since we were anxious to get out on the island.

On our way out we caught Minnie holding hands with Chip (or is that Dale? I can’t tell by the tail.) We let her know we would keep that to ourselves and not tell Mickey.

cruisre011.jpg

cruisre012-1.jpg

Hey… Where are you headed Chip? Aren’t the critters housed down on deck A?

cruisre013.jpg

We hightailed it off the ship so we could get down to our beach business. It was somewhat overcast but still fairly early.
The required Castaway Cay photo ops:

cruisre014.jpg

cruisre015.jpg

cruisre018.jpg

cruisre022.jpg

cruisre024.jpg

cruisre027.jpg

Yet another cruise went by without catching Capt. Jack. There was actually already a bit of a line going when we passed his spot but we didn’t want to wait around. After setting up a home base on the family beach across from Cookie’s, we walked to the bike rental area. It was the first time we had wandered down the path in that direction. We had never seen the hair braiding stations or the Bahamian craft stores so that was interesting to check out.

The bike rental area is just past those and after checking in at the window we were instructed to take our choice of bikes. They pretty much run on the honor system, we could drop off and return for more bikes all day and we did not have to check them in or out again. I thought that was really convenient.

There was a great selection of bikes in various sizes, as you can see in the photos below. Plenty to choose from!

cruisre028.jpg

cruisre029.jpg

<<Continued>>

<<<Continued from Previous Post>>

We headed out, following the path, all the ways dodging groups of walkers and trams. The path (actually the old runway I guess) was plenty wide and was a quick ride out to the Serenity Beach area (about 5-8 minutes tops).

cruisre036.jpg

cruisre037.jpg

cruisre039.jpg

cruisre042.jpg

cruisre043.jpg

We took a quick stop so Ron could use the restroom and then he wanted to take a brief look around the adult beach area.

Ahh…Paradise:

cruisre049.jpg

cruisre051.jpg

Serenity bay is a lot busier then it appears in those pictures. See:

cruisre052.jpg

cruisre048.jpg

From there we ventured along the bike path to the scenic overlook. This took us past the backs of the massage cabanas, which I thought was interesting as the bike path was located only several feet from the open air cabanas. I would think conversation from path goers and bike riders might not be so relaxing for those in the cabanas but maybe the light foliage deflects the noise better than it appeared. In any event I tried to get the kids past that area as expeditiously as possible.

At the end of the thickly wooded path there was a quiet, beautiful island overlook:

cruisre059.jpg

cruisre069.jpg

cruisre072.jpg

cruisre073.jpg

Although the trip up and back the path only took about ten minutes each way, time went by fast and we had an appointment with some crotchety crustaceans back at the DJ booth at 12:00.

It was time for the one…the only world famous Castaway Cay Crab races!

We rode back toward the beaches and dropped off our bikes. We made it back to the courtyard with plenty of time to get signed up for the first heat. Here is how the leader board shaped up (can you guess which crab is ours?)

cruisre075.jpg

I swear the name was Savannah’s idea, not ours!

cruisre077.jpg

As it would turn out, Jimmy was more in the mood for an afternoon siesta than a raucous race. He barely emerged from his shell, even after gratuitous poking from Entertainment Director/Emcee Luke.
The kids got their consolation prize (smiley face plastic slinky) and we were off for a snack! Chocolate chip cookie dough cones for all! And before lunch too!

cruisre083.jpg

cruisre084.jpg

Speaking of lunch, since the kids decided they wanted to stay in the area for the second crab race we decided to just go ahead and grab some chow. We had a nice umbrella covered picnic table near the fruit bar right in the center of the courtyard-perfect for people watching. We headed up to Cookie’s.
Since this was our second day of our double dip, Cookie’s was serving the alternate menu. I believe there were lobster burgers or sandwiches of some sort (leftovers from the dinner the night before?). There was also some kind of flank steak or skirt steak in sauce. And some grilled chicken. None of that appealed to me much, so here is what I opted for:

cruisre085.jpg

Ron was a little more adventurous in his selections:

cruisre086.jpg

After lunch the kids headed to sign up for round 2 of the races.

cruisre087.jpg

Their choice for a name this time was not as creative but was more in demand: Mickey. We enjoyed being joined by Drea and her family although I am sorry we took your crab name! Before long the techno music was pumping, and the red bucket lifted, and again….nothing.

cruisre089.jpg

We had a different crab this time, but he was a dud too. In any event we enjoyed Drea’s boys’ crab making its way into the finals. (Go Team Mac!)

Afterwards it was already time to pick up Sarah. While Ron headed back to the boat to get her, the kids went out to play on the water playground. While they enjoyed themselves I relaxed with a Conch Cooler and chatted some with Tiffany the FE crafting Queen! It took quite a while for Ron and Sarah to get back and when they did, Brendan was still in the water. So Ron and Savannah went for another bike ride up to the observation tower.
Here are the sights from afar:

cruisre091.jpg

cruisre093.jpg

cruisre095.jpg

Meanwhile back on the family beach some ominous clouds rolled in, I really did not want Sarah’s car seat getting soaked so I packed up and we headed back to the boat. Our radios did not work so well and there were some communication issues but eventually Ron and Savannah did make it back to the boat before the rain (in the end it only sprinkled a little bit). While waiting to board and chatting over the two-ways Ron took a picture of me up in the porthole (good thing you can’t see me!) Our room is the third porthole from the right (above the equipment and tanks obscuring the SPH rooms on deck 5). The room we were supposed to have is the first porthole on the right. )

cruisre099.jpg

It was now well into afternoon and a lot of hard work packing lay ahead. Along with it, our last night onboard the beautiful Magic.

Up Next: Breathe in, Breathe Out, Move On

OH man you had Charachter breakfast on a port day.. that sucked. But looks like you still got a lot packed in, before you had to pack it all in LOL

Ya I wasnt a fan of the food choices or lack their off on CC this day either. Really was craving the mahi mahi samich I had the 1st day LOL. And we even ate at the Adult beach and the food was so so.

Konk Kooler.. never ended up having one.. oh well.. NEXT TIME lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter