Back to WDW for first time in 15 years. Solo trip (Late January-early Feb)

Shawn d

Mouseketeer
Well, it has been a LONG time since I was at WDW but COVID, China (I was there as an ESL Teacher in Shanghai) and completing my bachelor's degree in Vancouver (graduated in 2014) put my Disney dreams on hold.

While I was in China, I did check 2 BIG checks off my Disney bucket list. I visited Shanghai 2 days after the Grand opening (Wanted to go opening day but work intervened). I wound up getting quarterly and then semiannual passes. I got to ride TRON and believe me guys. It is definitely one of the best rides I have EVER ridden on. Just be patient. For Chinese New Year one year, I travelled to Hong Kong and visited Hong Kong Disney. Cool experience but definitely smaller than Shanghai and Orlando. While I was there, I was able to get Anna and Elsa to do a video message for my niece who I surprised when I came home.

Fast forward to the recent present. I was planning to go to Disney World at the start of the 50th anniversary, but COVID happened. Happy to say I am for the most part healthy and have taken precautions. I am getting another booster in a couple weeks so I should be good to go.

I initially found a sweetheart deal with flight flying out of Toronto and hotel "across the street" from Disney Springs. Only to find out that "across the street" involves a major highway, a mile long walk and an unannounced resort fee. No thanks. I booked my flights, hotel in Toronto for night before (see reason below) So, I decided to stay on property (AS Movies). Got Photo pass and Park Hopper. My D-60 +10 window opened up and I was not able to book when my window opened up as I had to work. I did book a couple days ago and yesterday. That being said, I think I did well. I also booked park tickets to match the reservations. Here is my (provisional) itinerary:

T-3 Jan 28: Fly to Toronto: there is a method to my madness. I live out in the Canadian prairies and flights to Toronto are wacky at the best of times either getting delayed or cancelled 50% of the time. Add to that our infamous winters and I want to take precautions. I get to spend some time with my cousin and her family and don't need to worry about hotels.

T-1 Jan 30: Going to stay at hotel by Pearson as my flight to Orlando is 6AM the next day

Jan 31: Flight leaves Toronto at 6am and get into Orlando after 9. Gives me time to explore DS before/after I check in and selected Epcot for my first day. Made reservation at Raglan Road. Trying to decide whether to get my souvenirs out of way or wait and see

Feb 1: Hollywood Studios. Definitely excited about Star Wars and got reservation at Brown Derby

Feb 2: Magic Kingdom. Skipper Canteen and got ticket to late show of Cirque du Soliel

Feb 3: Animal Kingdom. Avatar is one of my favourite movies, so I am jacked to go here. Yak & Yeti reserved

Feb 4: Magic Kingdom. Be Our Guest reserved

Feb 5: Hollywood Studios (provisionally) Chef Art Smith in DS reserved but open to suggestions to where to eat/which park to visit

Feb 6: Epcot and Space 220. Excited for World showcase and Guardians

Feb 7: Fly back at 4. No reservations but prob thinking PO Riverside for breakfast. Selected MK but see as how I have to check out at 11 is prob a no go

Feel free to offer suggestions/tips

Last edited:
Sounds like this'll be a fun winter getaway for you! Hope you enjoy it. As a solo trip, it looks like you have in mind what you want to do and you don't have to worry about keeping anyone else happy. The ability to just 'wing it' should feel really good.

I did see you scored an Art Smith Homecomin' reservation and I'm happy for you. My wife and I had our first taste of that last month and the brunch was excellent (I'm sure it's good all day long), as was the bourbon peach sweet tea. Biscuits & jam were 👍 Yak & Yeti is another fave!

You've made good plans, but the nice thing is between the Hopper and your solo flexibility, the less you plan, the better. You'll be able to explore what you like and hop back for a 2nd ride or meal or visit on whatever those things end up being.

Hi all. Well, just under 45 days to my trip and I have had some hiccups. With my Canadian bank, one of the tellers told me that I wouldn't be able to use my debit or credit card while I was down in the states. After calling one of the other branches and Mastercard, I was able to confirm that I can indeed use them as I told them my trip plans/dates. Planning to get some US cash a couple weeks before my trip as a buffer.

Booked my transportation between MCO and hotel with Mears. Dealt with them when they were ME so I am familiar with them

Got my COVID booster today and finalizing my insurance this week before Christmas.

Airfare was probably the biggest concern besides the bank. Got a text saying my flight to Toronto Pearson was changed. Fearing the worst, I called Air Canada and was told it was the plane that was changing, nothing to worry about.

Also, I am thinking about buying some souvenirs online and picking them up at the hotel when I arrive. Good idea or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter