Backpack baby carrier?

Svenson

Mouseketeer
First a big thankyou to everyone on the DISboard! I have been reading your wealth of information and advice for a month, and it has been a tremendous help in planning our trip to WDW. We will be visiting all four major parks in May. I have only one question that I have not been able to find an answer to. If you carry your child in a baby backpack carrier (we are still deciding between a Kelty Town or a Kelty Convertible), what do you do with the backpack when you go on rides or attractions? Do you have to leave the backpack outside on the ground with all the strollers? Is there a separate area to leave backpacks? Can you take your backpack on the ride/attraction if you collapse it (and of course remove the child?) :) :) How about in restaurants, such as the Crystal Palace character meals? Do you leave your backpack outside with all the strollers or put it under your table? I would appreciate any advice or info from anyone who has used (or witnessed others using) a backpack baby carrier. Thank you!!:D

we have the Kelty country, same as town, we used it at MGM and Disney Villiage, also some at AK and also MK but that was hard. Any place where you are getting the child in and out a lot (MK) was harder and the rental stroller was better. It is nice for the crowds because the child can still see, it is easier to maeuver than a stroller in heavy crowds, but I wacked Buzz Lightyear in the meet and great trying to keep track of the 4 year old, Woody and Buzz laughed but I was mortified. My DH prefers the backpack because he hates to push stuff, we should have used it at Epcot, but we knew we would rent a double stroller because the 4 yr old would need to ride also. I feel it is a must of the airport and even worked pretty well on the busses too, much better than holding a squirmy 18 month old.

Most of the stroller parking for big rides is monitored and we parked the backpack with the strollers, I always placed it to the inside to keep it out of the way and also to protect it from casual walk bys, but no one touched it.

All in all we use it all the time and really do like it, both our kids have always liked to ride in the backpack, if only they wouldn't pull my hair.

Jane
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We used the Kelty Convertible last month on our trip to WDW. We also brought our stroller with us but only took one or the other with us into the park. Since the Convertible can be a stroller also, it worked out great. You can use the backpack in places the stroller is not allowed (wish we'd thought to try it in One Man's Dream but we didn't know it was allowed which it is) and it can help when crowds are heavy to wear the pack rather than push a stroller. We did leave it outside attractions and restaurants several times but once again since it can be a stroller it was easy for CM's to move if necessary.

I would definitely get the rain/sun cover for whichever backpack you take - the sun can be pretty bright and sunburn is a definite possiblity.

I posted a pretty long thread about our experiences with the Convertible when I returned. Here is the link in case it may be of help to you.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178901&highlight=kelty+convertible

Have a great trip!

We used a baby sling at Disney. It's just fabric, so it can fold up very small. It's comfortable even for fairly large toddlers. (I've carried 2 different 2yos on two different trips all over WDW in one.) Here's a link: http://www.parentingconcepts.com .

Edit: Call them and ask if they have any clearance slings. I got my last one for <$20 that way. They don't advertise them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter