Backstage Magic - October 1 - 6, 2023 - Trip Report (kinda sorta...maybe not really)

MaleMadMadameMim

Earning My Ears
Hey guys. This is Galen. My husband and I were on the Backstage Magic ABD on October 1 - 6, 2023. This was a DIS Unlimited/Unplugged/? sponsored ABD. We've been home a while now, and I've had time to think about the experience overall and form some thoughts. I did complete the survey from ABD, but they really need to include a question regarding "suggestions you may have". They did have a question regarding "things you didn't like". I didn't respond to that one because it's not about things I "didn't LIKE", but more about things that disappointed me -- but most of them were no fault of ABD or our Adventures Guides; it was just the way things worked out. So, anyhoo -- here we go. The form of this posting is going to be pretty free-form, so be warned.

Adventure Guides: We were blessed, truly blessed, to have Ralph and Summer-Rose as our guides. They were fantastic from the first moment to the last. They kept us informed, kept us hydrated, kept us moving forward, and were gracious to a fault. I'm lucky to have been in their orbit.

Hotels: Fantastic. Loved the Loew's Hollywood, really loved the Grand Californian (but who wouldn't, right?) Luggage handling was great - meaning we didn't have to handle it. Our bags appeared in our rooms at the Grand Cal. Loved. It.

Transportation: All top notch. Transfers involving airport and hotels all went off without a hitch. Transfer to the Grand Cal was pleasant and efficient.

Our Group: I'm not going to name any names because I don't have permission to name names, but I loved everyone on our trip! Wait, let me name one name because I know he won't object (mainly because he can't read). Centaur. CENTAUR. We all loved Centaur, the big loveable black lab guide dog. He was the goodest boy. BTW, if anyone that was in our group reads this and wants to respond and use your name, feel free -- actually, I encourage it. I just didn't want to presume.

Okay, now for some opinions that may be a little spicy.

First Day (El Capitan, Graumans, Henson Studios, Tam O'Shanter, Walt's Trains)
It seems our timing was off for a few of our experiences. First timing issue was going to the El Capitan. The Loki Series premiere was taking place that night at the theatre, so the green carpet (IFYKYK) and other accoutrement were being assembled by crews in front of the theatre and in the street. We had a very personable guide (forget her name), and we assembled inside the theatre. But...the lights were off. No lights on in the theatre, so we couldn't see this fantastic movie palace! We were told that it was because of scheduling issues of the staff, and I'm sure it had some union issues, too. So there we were -- in a historical restored movie theatre ... and we couldn't see it in all its restored glory. Frustrating. We got to go backstage, see the Sherman Brothers dressing room. Also saw the organ. Again, no one was there to demonstrate the organ or to raise it up to stage level. That would have been nice. I think -- I hope -- the Loki premiere was the reason for the feature-abbreviated visit to the El Cap.

Next across the street to Grauman's. Interesting film inside the theatre. Actually got to see the restored theatre, so there's that. Spent some time in the forecourt looking at the "fabulous feet".

Then on to Jim Henson Studios. Interesting place. I'm not a rabid Muppets fan so it didn't tweak my heartstrings, but I'm glad I saw it. I was actually more interested in the fact that it's the former Chaplin Studios and A&M Records (I grew up hearing "Tijuana Taxi" being played on my parents stereo, god bless Herb Alpert).

Lunch at the Tam O'Shanter. Very kitschy restaurant that Walt Loved. Great atmosphere.

Visit to Walt's Barn in Griffith Park, staffed by a bevy of volunteers. Love this. Got to talk to Frank Norman, Disney Legend. Fascinating guy, great stories, and a direct tie to Mr. Disney. Rare nowadays.

First day isn't my favorite either, but lunch at the Tam and some of the special guests make it a lot better. Did you do anything with the free time that night?

First day isn't my favorite either, but lunch at the Tam and some of the special guests make it a lot better. Did you do anything with the free time that night?
Yeah! We had burgers at the Hollywood Roosevelt (fantastic!) and then went to Madame Tussaud's on the Boulevard. We went in about 45 minutes before it closed, and we were the ONLY people in there. It was fun -- our creative photos are one of a kind. And, to be honest, it was also a bit creepy -- you walked into a room and all these "dead celebrities" are staring at you. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter