BAD experience with UT 50% Budget Deal

NOT EVEN CLOSE The mousesavers code ended and existing reservations repriced. The UT contract code is still active. The OP presented the necessary documentation and was given a car. Ill call it a billing error. If you disagree I'LL go with fraud. The franchise lost the ethical war when they released the car subject to the rental terms. Any fine print is likely to be interpreted in favor if the renter.

I think you have it reversed. Budget would be on my don't rent from list if they decided to double the agreed rate after the car was returned.

Edited to add looking for trouble if he mentioned movie tickets. Car rental was booked through a TA period. No reason to discuss. I suspect the rate was intended to be sold with hotel and or air without the customer knowing the breakdown.
Thank you for your reply. I agree with everything you say. I am just hoping things work out. Hoping nobody else has this problem. Thinking maybe Orlando would be best place to use this code? I really believe it is up to UT to help me through this and so far I have gotten no real help. And the code is still active. I actually sent a screen shot of it to Budget to show them what I used - hoping they could discuss with UT if it was done in error at their location. I also sent a screen shot to my credit card company to show them proof of payment and what I was doing. I have been very honest and open with all involved. Hoping it gets resolved soon!

NOT EVEN CLOSE The mousesavers code ended and existing reservations repriced. The UT contract code is still active. The OP presented the necessary documentation and was given a car. Ill call it a billing error. If you disagree I'LL go with fraud. The franchise lost the ethical war when they released the car subject to the rental terms. Any fine print is likely to be interpreted in favor if the renter.

I think you have it reversed. Budget would be on my don't rent from list if they decided to double the agreed rate after the car was returned.

Edited to add looking for trouble if he mentioned movie tickets. Car rental was booked through a TA period. No reason to discuss. I suspect the rate was intended to be sold with hotel and or air without the customer knowing the breakdown.
You're correct, I misunderstood the story. My understanding was that the change was made before the car was driven off the lot.
I would be looking very carefully at the rental contract you signed when you left the counter and probably having a lawyer look it over.
The mousesavers code was cancelled when Hertz found out mousesavers wasn't abiding by the terms of the contract.

The mousesavers code was cancelled when Hertz found out mousesavers wasn't abiding by the terms of the contract.
My understanding, not sure if it's a real fact or an internet fact,.Hertz used bankruptcy as an opportunity to cancel the contract without needing a reason.

My understanding, not sure if it's a real fact or an internet fact,.Hertz used bankruptcy as an opportunity to cancel the contract without needing a reason.
What I read at the time was that it was supposed to be a business use code for MS, not a leisure code and definitely not for dissemination to the public. The first reports I saw of it being denied were folks being asked for MS business cards or letterhead, when they told Hertz they weren't employees or on MS business it was denied.

What I read at the time was that it was supposed to be a business use code for MS, not a leisure code and definitely not for dissemination to the public. The first reports I saw of it being denied were folks being asked for MS business cards or letterhead, when they told Hertz they weren't employees or on MS business it was denied.
Mousesavers said Hertz knew the rate was intended to be used for leisure travel by mousesaver readers. Does mousesavers have enough emplotees to qualify for a great corporate rate.
Hertz was in bankruptcy and had the right to cancel the code.
Hertz is being sued. Hertz claimed returned cars weren't, reported them as stolen and customers were arrested.

I believe mousesavers side of the story.

Mousesavers said Hertz knew the rate was intended to be used for leisure travel by mousesaver readers. Does mousesavers have enough emplotees to qualify for a great corporate rate.
Hertz was in bankruptcy and had the right to cancel the code.
Hertz is being sued. Hertz claimed returned cars weren't, reported them as stolen and customers were arrested.

I believe mousesavers side of the story.
Probably part of why Hertz gave them a deal that good, they were getting advertising while only having to allow the very low rates to a few people. If Mousesavers admits they knew they weren't supposed to give that code out Hertz would sue them out of existence. If Hertz could have cancelled the code, what would be gained by lying about the reason why? Hertz is being sued because their IT sucks, Avis is being sued for charging people $100/gallon for gas and I'm sure National is being sued for something else.

If Hertz could have cancelled the code, what would be gained by lying about the reason why?
The rates we gave mousesavers are too low. As per bankruptcy terms we've canceled the contract. Existing reservations will be repriced at current rates.

OR

Mousesavers was abusing the contract.....

Which sounds better?

My opinion. The people at Hertz who authorized the rate knew how it was being used. At some point Herz bean counters didn't like the usage and tagged the code as being an employee only rate.

Mousesavers has a history of only posting verified discounts

JMO The UT rate is intended to be sold as part of an air or hotel package. The cost should be aggregated without itemized pricing.

You'll occasionally see good package deals. One element, sometimes air, sometimes room and occasionally rental car will include a low consolidator or negotiated rate. Avoids price matching

The rates we gave mousesavers are too low. As per bankruptcy terms we've canceled the contract. Existing reservations will be repriced at current rates.

OR

Mousesavers was abusing the contract.....

Which sounds better?

My opinion. The people at Hertz who authorized the rate knew how it was being used. At some point Herz bean counters didn't like the usage and tagged the code as being an employee only rate.

Mousesavers has a history of only posting verified discounts

JMO The UT rate is intended to be sold as part of an air or hotel package. The cost should be aggregated without itemized pricing.

You'll occasionally see good package deals. One element, sometimes air, sometimes room and occasionally rental car will include a low consolidator or negotiated rate. Avoids price matching
Same argument the other way:
We knowingly or negligently violated our contract causing millions in lost revenue for Hertz.
Or
Hertz cancelled the contract because they're in bankruptcy and there's nothing we can do.
Which sounds better?

I'm going to believe the company that would literally not lose anything but face if they were lying. Mousesavers would be out of business with the probably loss of everything by the owners. Seems like a pretty big incentive to lie.

I don't doubt that there were people that knew Mousesavers was giving out the code and looking the other way. Then the discount became too much and it was caught and ended. Same thing happened with other codes, many corporate codes started asking for proof when picking up, same with AAA.

Curious were you billed the exact amount shown on your confirmation? It could be really a billing error. The prepaid might not have been properly credited

Curious were you billed the exact amount shown on your confirmation? It could be really a billing error. The prepaid might not have been properly credited
No I was not. I was charged 787.00 from UT and 702.00 from Budget. The lady I have spoken to at Budget had never heard of this promo (probably because we are in Omaha?) and she agreed that I was being charged the other "half" of the rental. I sent her a screenshot of the deal that is still going on at UT that I had used so that they know what I did and to show that it is still available as a promo showing for their budget location. I will say she was very kind to me and is trying to help.

Yup, and buying a movie ticket to get it is certainly a loophole which is apparently now closed. Using loopholes like that are always YYMV and I always prepare myself for a loophole not to work. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Yup, and buying a movie ticket to get it is certainly a loophole which is apparently now closed. Using loopholes like that are always YYMV and I always prepare myself for a loophole not to work. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I agree with that - but thinking UT should have caught it and charged me. Not Budget. Budget is in the dark with this promo at my location. UT could have said something to me about it - they have said nothing. Their customer service has been horrid.

We only use AAA (we are a member) or Disney AP discounts (we are AP owners) as they are usually decent discounts. This year in May, AAA backed us up when the rental company tried to add $300 for another driver (our son) even though AAA rentals through Dollar and Thrifty offer four additional drivers (at least our regional AAA does) at no charge.

I called AAA before we turned in the car when I found the mystery charge on our credit card and received an email from AAA with a case number. I had the charge reversed before we got home.

I did run the numbers on UT *deal* for this November and felt like it was too risky and I didn't want to pay ahead considering prices do go down (and are as of late).

Sorry you had to deal with this. I hope it is resolved through your credit card company.

I agree with that - but thinking UT should have caught it and charged me. Not Budget. Budget is in the dark with this promo at my location. UT could have said something to me about it - they have said nothing. Their customer service has been horrid.
The loophole was still open when you booked your car so UT wasn't preventing people from booking with it at the time. BUT it was never intended to be used with a $15 movie ticket. It's Budget in Nebraska that caught the error and UT closed the loophole . I'm sorry that you're paying more but I would not expect UT to cover the other half of your car rental because you used the promo in a way that UT didn't intend you to use it.

I do feel bad for you. I am the queen of loopholes! I have used many Disney loopholes in the past which are so controversial that even mentioning them is no longer allowed on the DIS. Sadly, they have all been closed by Disney but I'm always on the lookout for others ;).

The loophole was still open when you booked your car so UT wasn't preventing people from booking with it at the time. BUT it was never intended to be used with a $15 movie ticket. It's Budget in Nebraska that caught the error and UT closed the loophole . I'm sorry that you're paying more but I would not expect UT to cover the other half of your car rental because you used the promo in a way that UT didn't intend you to use it.
I doubt Nebraska knew what was bundled with the car rental or what was required. Rental was prepaid. That's the only thing the OP should be talking about. Discussions about movie tickets and loopholes only confuse the issue.Popcorn or soda used to work.

I do feel bad for you. I am the queen of loopholes! I have used many Disney loopholes in the past which are so controversial that even mentioning them is no longer allowed on the DIS. Sadly, they have all been closed by Disney but I'm always on the lookout for others ;).
How do you know that very person who rented the cars with the buy a ticket promo knew exactly what type of ticket had to be bought, prior to the announcement that movie tickets didn't qualify? Maybe OP thought their purchase was within the rules, seeing how it went through and all. I don't know that it's particularly fair to accuse them of taking advantage of a loophole unless they expressly state they knew at the time that's what they were doing.

If UT didn't want the promo used in the way that OP used it maybe they shouldn't have allowed the purchase to go through? No?

As stated by others, seeing how at the time of the rental, this was within the parameters of the promo, it is not relevant to the discussion. They purchased a rental, and it's not being honored. Someone needs to explain why. If it's not meant to be used at that location, shouldn't it state that when you make the reservation?

How do you know that very person who rented the cars with the buy a ticket promo knew exactly what type of ticket had to be bought, prior to the announcement that movie tickets didn't qualify? Maybe OP thought their purchase was within the rules, seeing how it went through and all. I don't know that it's particularly fair to accuse them of taking advantage of a loophole unless they expressly state they knew at the time that's what they were doing.

If UT didn't want the promo used in the way that OP used it maybe they shouldn't have allowed the purchase to go through? No?

As stated by others, seeing how at the time of the rental, this was within the parameters of the promo, it is not relevant to the discussion. They purchased a rental, and it's not being honored. Someone needs to explain why. If it's not meant to be used at that location, shouldn't it state that when you make the reservation?
When a deal is too good to be true, then it probably is. Paying $15 for a movie ticket to save $700 is a deal too good to be true. UT messed up and didn't close the loophole until later, but it was STILL a loophole. IMO, UT/Budget does not need to honor a reservation made in error via a loophole. I consider this to be like when an airline makes a pricing mistake and people pile on and buy cheap tickets. The airline says "oops" and cancels their flights.

We don't know that.
When a deal is too good to be true, then it probably is. Paying $15 for a movie ticket to save $700 is a deal too good to be true. UT messed up and didn't close the loophole until later, but it was STILL a loophole. IMO, UT/Budget does not need to honor a reservation made in error via a loophole. I consider this to be like when an airline makes a pricing mistake and people pile on and buy cheap tickets. The airline says "oops" and cancels their flights.
NOT EVEN CLOSE. The airline might cancel your flight. Can you link to a single example where an airline charged a pax extra AFTER he flew?

I have no idea if a movie ticket qualified under the contract. You have no idea
Suppose I buy a ticket to gaterland or the Crayola Experience? One ticket for MNSSHP? Does that qualify under the terms of the contract?

We have no idea what kind of ticket purchase is required by the contract.

UT said a movie ticket was sufficient. Not up to us to second guess.

I suspect the intent by Budget was for the deal to be offered as part of a vacation package including hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter