"Bad" use of points?

poj7

Mouseketeer
Just like a second opinion.

We're staying at Vero Beach for 5 nights (Feb 15-20) next February with my in-laws. We'd like to vacation for a full week so I reserved a one-bedroom for Feb 13 and a 2 bedroom for Feb 14th at BCV since some family is arriving on the 14th. I was thinking it might be nice to "break up the trip" with 2 days at WDW and then do the 2 hr drive to Vero. Our children will be 6 and 3 1/2.

Here's the question: Do you feel that 128pts for the Fri and Sat (Feb. 13 and 14th) is a bad use of points? Would you try to pay cash +/- rent out the 128pts or just use the points and don't worry about it. Do I have a sound plan here?

Thanks for input.

I couldn't be bothered with renting the points out. In the last year we spent two long weekends, one in the Poly concierge and one n the AKL concierge. Talk about a wast of points.....I could have rented them out, probably rented way less than half to pay for the rooms.

Couldn't be bothered.

We bought them to use them.

Paul,

We've never used cash since our points. We have over 600 points and use all of them every year. Why go through all that hassle, enjoy! L

Want to hear of a bad use of points?I am using 96 points for one night at the poly on April 26th before heading over to VWL for the rest of our trip.To each his own.Enjoy yourself!

If thats what You want to do then its not a "waste" of points. There is no one way to use your points. If you're happy then thats all that matters.

Joe in CT

Hey, there your points use them how you want. I'm like Rich, I used 128 points for the GF concierge!!! Now, I wish I didn't stay there because the service was just so horrible, but luckily I wasn't out any $$$, then I really would have been peeved! Enjoy your stay. We just added on more points so we wouldn't have to worry about the weekend points. We have a week now, and that's what we want. We don't have to worry about moving amymore, unless we want to.

Rich,
Did you enjoy AKL concierge? I've been debating whether or not to stay there for a couple of nights during our next trip.

Using 198 for 3 nights at OKW Christmas week for 5 people - can't wait - then over to BCV for the rest of the trip in a 2BRif waitlisted nights don't come through. Just wanted that luxury feeling and it's worth every point but couldn't swing the weekend nights without giving up a trip in October so elected to stay somewhere else the first three nights- haven't decided where yet. Sometimes you just have to give up one thing for another when you are limited to 220 points a year. Each of us must decide what works best in our situation. Good luck with your decision and have a great time.

We used 72 points for NYE for the millennium new year's eve and it was worth every "penny". We bought the points to use and to save cash. :)

AKL was far better than the Poly. It was absolutely fantastic. There was so much food, good stuff and a great variety, it was great. The Sunrise Safari(AKL Concierge guests only) was a great perc. All the staff were eager to help, I guess we got lucky, our room was only a few steps form the concierge lounge.

When do a concierge stay again, it will be at the AKL.

Originally posted by jcodespoti
If thats what You want to do then its not a "waste" of points. There is no one way to use your points. If you're happy then thats all that matters.

Joe in CT
Agreed. If your happy, then it's not a waste.

PS- I also used 140 pts (I think that's how many it was), for 2 weekend and 1 weekday at Poly Concierge.

Have fun........... :cool:

the only thing I consider a "Bad" use of points is - Letting them expire unused and unloved.

We bought the points with the idea that they are pre-paid vacations. WE are using the points to stay at the GC Concierge at DL and not worrying about the point value. You have already spent 1000's of $ on the points why save them and use cash now. If you decide later you want to do another trip than use the cash then. Why bank them if you can really use them and enjoy them? Isn't that why you bought them:) :p

I would say the only bad use is to not use them and watch them expire. Other than that, I say if you paid for them then use them as you see fit!

Paul,

I would pay weekend points only if it is because I don't want to move. For example, we are staying at BWV between Xmas and a little after New Year, I booked BWV 2 br for 2 units including the weekends because I do not want my other family members (total 13 people) to move during the vacation.

However, I would not use the weekend points just for 2 nights. I would rent out my points and try a Deluxe resort at the concierge level. It would be fun (less grocery shopping) and to give other family members a nice perk with the breakfast offerings and snacks.

I can understand why some people would not go through the trouble to rent (my DH would never bother doing it himself, he probably would sell his points before he ever rents). But I like renting out my points and get to meet some other people I would not have met otherwise. There are some really nice and fun people out there!!!

However, if you post the rental and you later feel it is too much of a hassel, you can always just take it down and make your ressie at DVC resorts. Given that it is a weekend, you probably would not have much trouble getting them within the 7 month window anywhere.

Happy planning!!!:D

Like Rich and many others , we too "bought them to use them", and we measure success of our vacation, not by how many points we use, but by how much fun we have.

That said, there are ways to be inefficient with your points. Here are a couple of mistakes we've made:

1) Not booking far enough in advance, and having to compromise on our choice room, and resort.
2) Recently we had to cancel our DCL trip. We were "stuck" with a pile of Disney Collection points, we had to use up. Not very efficent, but at least we now have a good reason to try out YC, and GF this summer and fall.
3) Our points are divided equally between BWV and VWL. We're still learning how to the 11 month booking window across two resorts, to maximize our vacation.

Originally posted by Richyams
AKL was far better than the Poly. It was absolutely fantastic. There was so much food, good stuff and a great variety, it was great. The Sunrise Safari(AKL Concierge guests only) was a great perc. All the staff were eager to help, I guess we got lucky, our room was only a few steps form the concierge lounge.

When do a concierge stay again, it will be at the AKL.

Two questions....what does the "Sunrise Safari" include and do? And, I've never stayed on a 'concierge' level of any resort. What perks do you get by doing so?

Hi Arnee,
The AKL Sunrise Safari is only available to concierge guests. It costs approx. $50/adult and $25/child (3-10). Under three is free. It's an extended version of the Kilimanjaro Safari ride at AK...it lasts for about 45 minutes to an hour, and afterwards you eat a special buffet breakfast at Tusker House. You do have to have a park ticket to take advantage of the Sunrise Safari, as AK will be open by the time the safari ends. As far as concierge level goes, we stayed at the Polynesian concierge in December and really enjoyed it. The six nights we stayed there were "down" times for us because we just got off the Disney Cruise. Concierge can sometimes get you a priority seating at hard to book events, like Cinderella's breakfast, and they can usually get you a priority seating for other places at short notice. Go to these links: http://www.wdwig.com/faq_hot.htm and http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/article.asp?request=list&cat=resort
You can read reviews about concierge levels at the different resorts.

We had to cancel a trip last year and ended up with points in a holding account.
We used them at POR (20 pts/nt) and had a great trip!
The only waste is not using them at all...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter