Baggage security

Hev71

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone! Can anyone give some comments/suggestions re: secured baggage? I can't decide whether I should lock my luggage or just leave it open so if they want to check it, they won't ruin my lock! What do you guys do?
Thanks!

Some people use cable ties (plastic ties available at hardware store). That way you can tell if it's been opened.

In the past we haven't locked our luggage, but we did use luggage locks on our golf clubs. They told us that if they had to open it for further inspection that they would cut the locks off. Since the cheap luggage locks don't really cost much, we didn't worry about it and looked at it the same as using a cable tie.

I believe that if they do open your bag for inspection - particularly if they cut a lock or tie - they are supposed to leave a note in your luggage informing you that it has been hand inspected.

My recommendation would be to go with the cable ties, as they are not expensive, you don't have to fiddle with keys, and you can tell immediately if someone has opened your suitcase.

On our recent trip to WDW (3 weeks ago), we didn't lock our baggages. We used cable ties (got them at the dollar store). One of our baggages was opened on our return trip and they did put a note in the baggage. They also secured the baggage with one of their ties.

DG

Definitely use some kind of lock not really for security but to keep your bag from opening during transit. I work security at the airport and I have seen some pretty scary things! Cable ties work great!

:wave2:

On my last trip to WDW (May), when I checked in at Orlando airport to return home, they took my suitcase to ex-ray it. The ex-ray room was just across the hall from the Air Canada check-in desk. I stood there and watched it go through the machine, and sure enough (as always seems to be the case with me :o ), they wanted to open it. They came out and got the keys from me.

Kim :)

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think cable ties are going to be the way to go. Cheap but still some kind of security!
Hev 71

Agree with everyone that cable ties are the best.

Yesterday I returned from a trip to Rome. At the airport in Fiumicino, they were selling a service that wrapped your suitcase in something like heavy-duty Saran Wrap for 6Euros (about $9-$10). This was before you checked in. It struck us as odd because if they wanted to check your bag on the "other side" of the check-in gate, they would have to cut it off!! What a waste. And a lot of people were "wrapping" their bags. If I were a baggage checker, that would be a neon sign to me for a random check.

Agree with everyone that cable ties are the best.

Yesterday I returned from a trip to Rome. At the airport in Fiumicino, they were selling a service that wrapped your suitcase in something like heavy-duty Saran Wrap for 6Euros (about $9-$10). This was before you checked in. It struck us as odd because if they wanted to check your bag on the "other side" of the check-in gate, they would have to cut it off!! What a waste. And a lot of people were "wrapping" their bags. If I were a baggage checker, that would be a neon sign to me for a random check.

O.K. This might be a stupid question but when you use the cable ties and you get to your destination, how do you cut them off? Do you get it done at check-in? at the front desk? Or can you take nailclippers in your carry on?
Hev

On our flight back from MCO on Friday they told use quite clearly at check in not to lock our cases.
We removed our locks with no problems.
One of our fellow passengers did not remove his locks and had them cut off with no note.

Make sure your nail-clipper is the kind without an attached file. I never thought about this before but had mine confiscated once on a trip to Orlando last year. They are hard to find without one so I bought a cheap one at the dollar store and just pulled off the file piece.

Most bags have outside compartments that people never use. Another option for you is to put a pair of scissors in an outside compartment and just keep that part unlocked. That's what I will be doing in 8 days!! :wave2:

WHEN I RETURNED FROM ORLANDO BACK IN APRIL, I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE MY BAGGAGE LOCKED, ALL LOCKS HAD TO BE REMOVED. MY BAGS MADE IT BACK SAFELY WITH NOTHING MISSING SO I SUGGUEST THAT YOU LEAVE IT OPEN CAUSE YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO REMOVE THE TIES/LOCKS WHEN YOU ARRIVE ANYWAYS.

I work at the Calgary Airport and I HIGHLY suggest that you DO lock your luggage, preferrably with cable ties. I have seen some VERY scary things when it comes to people's checked luggage and you need to secure your luggage so that nothing falls out!

TSA asks you not to use locks, which WILL be broken off if they need to open your bag, but they also say that if you have cable ties, they will cut them and then when finished, they will replace them so that your luggage is secure.

Never leave your luggage completely unlocked.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the security replies. I arrived back from WDW on Oct 14th and I did use the cable ties on my main zipper. They did not check our luggage at all so I worried for nothing! But I will use the ties again in the future! By the way, we had a great time but it was soooo humid!
Thanks again!
Hev

We went to WDW in May and DLR beginning of this month-both times used cable ties and put small pair of kids scissors in the front suitcase pocket. We seem to have at least one bag checked everytime we travel-these two times were no exception. One of us always has our carryon checked too.
Word of advise-lock or no lock-do not leave anything you value in your checked luggage-always carry it with you.

I forget to bring the cable ties last week, but at the check in counter the attendent gave us twist ties- you know the kind for garbage bags. We slipped them through all zippers/ pockets etc, NO Problems. Everything secure, nothing openned, nothing missing. And no scissors needed for opening them later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter