• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bahamas excursion or stay onboard the ship?

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
We have a family of 4 (me, wife, girls 11/13) and will be cruising on the Dream this October (previously cruised on the Magic once and the Wonder 3 times out of Galveston). Since our first stop out of Miami is Nassau, I am debating if we just stay on the ship or get off to do an excursion being the second day will be Castaway Cay.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

You will get different opinions on this. Many people say to stay on board. For myself, it is really important to visit other places, other countries, other experiences and have my kids experience them as well. I would get off the ship. There are some options like going for the day to Atlantis or Margaritaville. We went to the Junkanoo museum, Fort Charlotte (my daughter's name is Charlotte so we had to) and the Queen's staircase. This was a Disney excursion and it was wonderful. Yes, there are some pushy vendors at the port but talk to your kids about that before hand.

Nassau is easy to do on your own. The Pirate museum is across the street from the dock and my wife and I really enjoyed it. You could do that and grab a couple of beers and be back on the boat in like 2-3 hours. That's what we were going to do before we switched from the Wish to a western caribbean on the Fantasy.

If you have never visited Nassau, I would recommend at least getting off the ship to look around a bit. The Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle, and Fort Charlotte are all an easy walk from the ship. Ardastra Gardens is a nice little zoo, and you can do that on your own or with a Disney excursion. Your girls might also enjoy the Chocolate tour at Graycliff. You get to see their chocolate factory and then make some of your own. Days passes are available at Margaritaville and you can walk from the ship. There are also day passes for the Atlantis waterpark.

If you haven't been, I recommend getting off. Like @PezRuth said, I think it's great to experience other cultures and countries. You don't have to do an excursion. Nassau is easy enough to get around in and see many of the sights yourself - government house, the Queen's Staircase, etc.

Depends on what you all like to do.

I'm assuming that the lure of just exploring a new place or seeing some "minor" historical/cultural things is not high on your list or you wouldn't even have asked this question. If you have been sailing out of Galveston, my guess is that the port of Nassau itself is not any "better" than ports you've been to in Mexico or the Western Caribbean (personally, I've sailed from Galveston a couple of times, and felt all those port stops were nicer than Nassau). So, if things like seeing a pirate museum or old fort aren't appealing to you, and you would have other activities you'd like on board, there's not much reason to get off for the port itself. I don't ever hear people talk about Nassau being a city that is just incredible to see or anything. But, personally our family enjoyed a short carriage "tour" around the port area when our youngest was too young to do anything, and I once enjoyed the walk to the old fort.

I can't speak firsthand to the beaches of Nassau, but I haven't heard especially positive things about them, and I think most everyone would agree that Castaway Cay is "better". So, unless you would just really like another beach day (again, not sure you would have asked the question if so), I doubt that's a strong reason to get off.

So, that leaves the "big" excursions, with Atlantis Aquaventure being the one that stands out to me. The waterpark there is fun and pretty different from others I've been to (but, wear water shoes - the pavement was dangerously hot...). Our family might not do it a second time, but we were all really glad we did that on one stop in Nassau. But, maybe that's not too appealing to your family, and it's not cheap (though, we did the Comfort Inn thing and it was much cheaper than Disney's excursion).

There are a few other excursions you can do there and it's worth reviewing them, but most of the other excursions seem to me to be similar to those that might have been available on your prior cruises (more private-ish beaches, dolphins, snorkeling, fishing, etc.). So, again you would probably know if those were especially appealing to you or different from what you've already done.

I've been to Nassau 3 times, gotten off the ship each time, and am glad I did so. But, if I were to go again, I very well might stay on the ship.

First off, skip Atlantis. If you want to do Atlantis stay there on a separate trip. Theres too much to see in a days excursion and the hotel guests know to avoid the waterpark when the cruisers arrive due to the crowds and waits.

Touring Nassau itself is hit or miss depending on what you're trying to see. Only you'd know the answer to this.

What we love and recommend is a half day to Blue Lagoon(bookable via Disney as an excursions or separately). It's a very laid back boat ride to a "tropical paradise" with other up charges. But we enjoy just swimming and snorkling. And then you get back in time for some "ship time" as well. There is also a full day excursion there if you want to do some of the up-charge activities there.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will talk this over with my wife and she can read through the comments as well. I appreciate the input!

I went to Atlantis Aquaventure (booked directly via Atlantis & took a taxi to and from, which is easy- just bring cash), and loved it. Your girls are just the right age for it.

We did the Pearl Island excursion last Oct and it was wonderful! We got picked up at the dock, driven to the private island, they provided lunch, the bar had yummy drinks (for an extra cost) and the little beach there was lovely.

We will also be sailing out of Miami this Oct (20-24) but with my daughter, SIL and my granddaughter. They really want to see Pearl Island (as it was talked up by us from our last HOTHS cruise), so two of us are signed up for the excursion to Pearl Island with Lunch again.

The food was really good, service was amazing. There are really cool fish there and those who snorkel, loved it. We did not snorkel, but had a wonderful time anyway. We stayed at the beach and the kids swam and enjoyed the free items (kayak, paddle board, in water trampoline, etc) that they offered.

The staff that boats you back and forth from the ship to the island give you a little “harbor tour” and pointed out all of the celebrities homes on the boat ride back to the ship.

Attachments

• 0F9A1CC5-8AF3-4FCA-947C-DADF0988D99F.jpeg
    0F9A1CC5-8AF3-4FCA-947C-DADF0988D99F.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If there is something you specifically want to do, or if you have never been, I would say get off and explore. If you've been and don't really have anything you want to do in mind, I wouldn't do an excursion for the sake of doing one. Stay on board and enjoy the ship you are paying to be on.

We didn't know to bring tip $$ for excursions. We did feel badly and gave what we had on us, which was $5. The Bahamians are talkers/hawkers so not being use to this behavior, as we are not, it can be distracting and, for us, ignoring them felt rude. I would certainly be wary with kids in tow. Once gain we're very 'small town' so it doesn't take much to move us out of our comfort zone.

I would like to do the 2.5 hour catamaran and jeep tour however the better half just as soon stay on the ship as we're only doing a 3 day so I may never get to do the Queens staircases or the Forts. LOL

We have been off the ship once many years ago to go to Atlantis with the kids when they were little. It was fun, but I would not pay $1000 for the 4 of us to go again. The reason I am leaning towards staying on the ship or at most going somewhere close by is because we have never been on the Dream and this is only a 4 night cruise so time is limited and the first full day on the ship is in port at Nassau.

I think the general consensus is that Nassau isn't a "must-do". Only get off the boat if you see something that looks interesting. If not, 4 days is hardly enough time to get bored on the ship. Hit the Aquaduck or the Rainforest Room or take a cup of coffee and a Kindle to a lounger on deck 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter