Banana Boats on Castaway Cay?

SweetSpot

DIS Veteran
We were asking our children what they would like to do in each port and our kids said that they want to be in the kids clubs when at Castaway Cay because they had so much fun there last year. This means my DH and I will have free time to do what we want while on the island. Last year, not knowing how to react not having 3 kids around us, we headed to the adult beach to eat and have a drink.

We were considering the banana boat and was wondering if anyone had any opinions. Is it a rough ride? Would those who have done it do it again? Do you need to prebook or are spaces usually available that day?

Has anyone done the glass bottom boat or any of the other excursions on Castaway Cay that they could recommend?

BB IS A WILD RIDE....BOOK AHEAD OF TIME, it fills up fast!!!

I loved the banana boat! Book ahead of time. It is a wild ride, but only one person fell off on our trip. If you wear contacts, take goggles.

My family did the banana boats in May and everyone loved it.
My DD's 8 & 10, DH, sister, and my dad. I stayed on the beach and took video which was great. My mom who is 55 and has a bad back also decided not to go, and she was relieved because they all came back reporting it was a really fast, bumpy ride.

Take it from me, if you wear glasses, remove them before getting on the BB. On our ride all 10 of us wound up in the ocean, that's where my glasses still are, at the bottom of the Deep Blue Sea. We (DD 12 and I) had a "BLAST" and will be doing it next August, except, my glasses will remain with my DW on the beach!!! Our ride was quite bumpy, but that added to the fun and excitement!!! Like others have said, book early. We booked a day or two after the 60 day mark, and we got a 2pm time slot, I was trying to get a spot before lunch, after our parasailing, but was not able too.

How far out in the water do you ride the BB? Do they make you wear life jackets?

The Banana Boats go pretty far out, although you can always see the boat. Yes, you MUST wear life jackets...almost always does someone fall of...and don't depend on enjoying the view...you can bearly see with salt water flying in your face the entire time...I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!

...when we went last trip (me, husb & then 10yr son) we LOVED it. No one fell off, but we had a lady that laughed HYSTERICALLY the entire ride. She made YOU laugh!! She was holding on for dear life & the water was like a hose the whole time in her face & she was too scared to let go & wipe it. It was SO funny!! :bounce: We all loved the ride (including that lady) & would do it again, but we have so many other things planned this trip that we're saving SOME time to relax. (Plus, my oldest son owns jet skis so we do get to ride a lot - for FREE). None of us had goggles, either, but I can see why people bring them!

You'll have a blast! :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Here is a photo of us on our way back to the beach, it was a "few" seconds after this photo was taken, that all 10 on our BB was soon swimming in the ocean. I might have lost my glasses, but I didn't lose my one-time use underwater camera!!! The camera was strapped to my wrist. I took one last photo, from in the water, waiting for the boat to come back and pick us up.

My%20Pictures0002.jpg

My view from the Banana Boat, shortly before our fall in the ocean.

My%20Pictures0001.jpg

Here I am, waiting to be picked up, what a wild ride!!!

Thank you everyone! Talked me into and the kids, who said they wanted to be in the clubs all day, into going on the banana boat. I would have never thought to bring goggles, thank you for the hint. I remember reading when Verandah Man's glasses fell off and will definately make sure we have nothing on us that can fall into the water and be lost.

Verandah Man, you just got dumped into the ocean, lost your only pair of glasses and you still were having a good enough time to take a picture? Great attitude!

Originally posted by SweetSpot
Thank you everyone! Talked me into and the kids, who said they wanted to be in the clubs all day, into going on the banana boat. I would have never thought to bring goggles, thank you for the hint. I remember reading when Verandah Man's glasses fell off and will definately make sure we have nothing on us that can fall into the water and be lost.

Verandah Man, you just got dumped into the ocean, lost your only pair of glasses and you still were having a good enough time to take a picture? Great attitude!

Are you kidding, I had a "BLAST" the glasses needed to be replaced anyhow, this just made me get new glasses sooner, especially after walking into the ladies room at the MCO Airport, LOL!!! WHAT A VACATION!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter