Bang for your Buck

mom25kiddos

Mouseketeer
I searched to see if this has been asked recently but didn't see anything in the past few years (but if it has, please point me to that thread). I have five kids, and generally like to do a couple of big meals out, and then keep the rest lower cost. I am wondering what you think are the best bang for your buck meals and snacks in (or around) the parks? I don't mean, eat granola bars in the room or bring your food, but rather, what are some examples of maybe, bigger meals that can be shared, or kids meals that are a decent size, or snacks that are good value? Or even spots super close by that are worth leaving the park for (beyond McDs and Panera)? Only one (and ironically not one of the teens) is a big eater, so we generally are fine to share meals family style or order smaller meals (except that one kid, he needs his own and probably some of mine ;)). Doesn't necessarily need to be cheap, but rather good value for what you are getting. We are next going in May (so not food and wine time). Thanks!

We find the fried chicken at Plaza Inn to be one of the best bang for your buck meals. When DS was under 16, we would get one meal, split it between the 3 of us, and none of us left hungry. Now that he is older, we get 2 meals and there is plenty left over.

All of us find that for the most part, serving sizes in the States are big compared to what we get at home so often I find myself ordering a CS kids meal and that is more than enough for lunch. My sister and I love going to Pym's and getting the kids breakfast.

We have 2 teen boys and we all love Earl of sandwich in downtown Disney. The sandwiches are consistently good, and very reasonably priced, especially at the Disneyland resort. You can order ahead on their website and go and pick up. We also love their breakfast sandwiches.

As far as snacks to share, we love the cheesy garlic pretzel bread at Maurice’s in Disneyland. It’s easily shareable. Also really like the pretzel at pyms and Sonoma terrace at DCA to share. One of our cheaper sit down meals is to get a big pizza at Naples in downtown Disney. Or, if we can’t agree on what kind of pizza, we head over to Napoli to get a personal sized one. Usually my husband and I share. And we always share milkshakes because they are too rich for us to eat alone!

We do one of the platters at Rancho Del Zocalo and ask for additional tortillas, then use the side of rice and beans to make up additional mini burritos.

We also like to do the soup or mac and cheese in a bread bowl from Aunt Cass cafe, ask for the soup in a cup and get lots of extra butter patties to make buttered bread.

The turkey leg is easily a two-person meal

I also agree with Plaza Inn, you can add a la carte additional items (like an extra piece of chicken or an extra biscuit) for a relatively reasonable cost.

We do one of the platters at Rancho Del Zocalo and ask for additional tortillas, then use the side of rice and beans to make up additional mini burritos.

We also like to do the soup or mac and cheese in a bread bowl from Aunt Cass cafe, ask for the soup in a cup and get lots of extra butter patties to make buttered bread.

The turkey leg is easily a two-person meal

I also agree with Plaza Inn, you can add a la carte additional items (like an extra piece of chicken or an extra biscuit) for a relatively reasonable cost.
Do you know how much they charge for the extra tortillas?

Generalizing here, but in almost every restaurant we go to, if there are nacho platters on the menu, we find those are almost always a good value - they tend to be lower priced and the portions are usually huge.

Specific to Disney, corn dogs are a great option - they are filling and inexpensive, plus you can eat them on the go. We also like the chicken shawarma wraps near Pims Test Kitchen in DCA. Can you tell we like to eat while we wander ;-)

For Downtown Disney, we like Earl of Sandwich. Also, Splitsville (the bowling alley) actually has decent quality pizza for a pretty good price (we found it to be a better value than Naples restaurant). Plus, there isn't usually a wait for a table even during the dinner rush. Be warned though, it can be LOUD in there.

We usually prefer the food offerings in DCA vs Disneyland. In DCA: For sit-down, we like Smokejumpers Grill - my husband and I usually split a burger with fries and it's enough for us. My son isn't the biggest eater, and he usually gets their chicken tenders with fries and always has leftovers. If you want a place where you can cater to a variety of tastes, I would recommend San Fransokyo Square - we've been impressed with the food we've gotten there (portions, quality & price have been good). We also love the brunch at Lamplight Lounge (if you can get a reservation). It's a little pricey and the portions aren't that big, but the quality and flavors are *chef's kiss*, so we find it's a worthwhile splurge. In Disneyland: Rancho del Zocalo is usually good, we also like the breakfast burritos at Galactic Grill (you could probably split them unless you were ravenous).

I searched to see if this has been asked recently but didn't see anything in the past few years (but if it has, please point me to that thread). I have five kids, and generally like to do a couple of big meals out, and then keep the rest lower cost. I am wondering what you think are the best bang for your buck meals and snacks in (or around) the parks? I don't mean, eat granola bars in the room or bring your food, but rather, what are some examples of maybe, bigger meals that can be shared, or kids meals that are a decent size, or snacks that are good value? Or even spots super close by that are worth leaving the park for (beyond McDs and Panera)? Only one (and ironically not one of the teens) is a big eater, so we generally are fine to share meals family style or order smaller meals (except that one kid, he needs his own and probably some of mine ;)). Doesn't necessarily need to be cheap, but rather good value for what you are getting. We are next going in May (so not food and wine time). Thanks!
Rancho has meals you can split...taco salads, nachos, enchilada platters.
Stage door cafe and Golden Horseshoe...chicken strips, mozzarella sticks and fish strips all with fries...
Alien Pizza Planet...pasta dishes
Pretzels...at Coke Corner.
Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney

Lots of great suggestions in here!

I will also say I was really surprised recently by the Bonjour Breakfast at Red Rose Taverne. I wasn't even planning on eating, but I rope dropped Fantasyland (a rarity for me) a couple weeks ago and after hitting up like 4 rides, I was hungry so I popped in there for breakfast. For $9.49, you get scrambled eggs, choice of sausage or bacon, tater tots and a small croissant. It was a LOT of food, IMO.

Like so many others have said, it's really smart to look for shareable meals as well. Or even order kids meals if you just want a little bit of something.

Also the breakfast burrito and bagel egg sandwich at the Galactic Grill in Tomorrowland lots of food that can be split. And you can buuy a side of seasoned breakfast potatoes that can be split for like $6!

Fried chicken at Carnation Cafe has always been big enough for my teen daughter and I to split, and she's not a light eater :) Although we do usually get an appetizer as a family of 4 to split before that. And although I've never actually split it because no one else in my family wants it, the Monte Cristo at Blue Bayou is way more than I can eat. It seems like most of the entrees at BB were fairly large. Most of the snack-type food at the carts (like Maurice's Treats) would be big enough for two kids to split unless you're trying to have it as a meal.

I'm pretty sure I've answered this before...was trying to look for my post. LOL Lot's of great ideas already shared...just adding a few more.

Pizza Planet - Large portion pastas...great to share, add a salad and a pizza..feeds a family nicely
Tiana's Palace -All of the bread bowl soups and gumbos are filling and great to share. The cajun half chicken comes with mac & cheese and coleslaw...large portion to share
Troubadour Tavern - Baked potato with toppings - HUGE portion
Mimi's - Across the street on Harbor. I've always thought they were a good value for a nice meal. I always have leftovers when I go there with my family. They have all day breakfast and a 3 course lunch & dinner menu.

Last edited:
I find Earl of Sandwich to be one of the best food values on property. The sandwiches are splittable too depending on how hungry you are, or you could split them for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter