Baseball caps in restaurants?

What about the custom of taking hats off for the national anthem? Is that still considered a sign of respect, or is is out-dated?

What about the custom of taking hats off for the national anthem? Is that still considered a sign of respect, or is is out-dated?
I'm reminded of a story my brother told of a trip to a nation that, while on friendly terms with the US, was leaning totalitarian. He and his colleagues decided to take in a soccer game (football for the rest of the world). As usual, they played their national anthem at the start, but the announcer said to "Please rise and place your hands over your heart for the national anthem", or words to that effect.

They of course stood up, but figured that they're not citizens and didn't need to put their hands over the hearts - until the security people started zeroing in on them, and they quickly complied.

So, while I agree it's a sign of respect (national anthems getting special privileges), it's also something deserving of deeper thought and examination.

Yes, I remove my hat and cross my heart out of respect for all who given their lives or limbs for the country I love, and I expect anyone else who lives here and enjoys our freedoms to do the same.

In contrast, I don't care if someone removes their hat out of respect for the cow that gave it's life for dinner.

I'm reminded of a story my brother told of a trip to a nation that, while on friendly terms with the US, was leaning totalitarian. He and his colleagues decided to take in a soccer game (football for the rest of the world). As usual, they played their national anthem at the start, but the announcer said to "Please rise and place your hands over your heart for the national anthem", or words to that effect.

They of course stood up, but figured that they're not citizens and didn't need to put their hands over the hearts - until the security people started zeroing in on them, and they quickly complied.

So, while I agree it's a sign of respect (national anthems getting special privileges), it's also something deserving of deeper thought and examination.

Are you saying security should enforce taking off hats at Flame Tree?

1) It better NOT go out of style.
2) I still "get tears" when I hear the National Anthem.
3) I lost too many buddies, "In Country", to not respect the flag and the anthem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter