Basic Hawaii Questions

rstackjd

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of trying to get to Aulani this fall. It would be our first time in Hawaii.

We always hear the Hawaii is "so expensive" and we really don't know what to expect. NOT counting hotel and air, how expensive is it really for a week on Oahu? We don't intend to island hop, so I'm interested in the toruisty stuff, especially low or no cost activities (beach days, "on your own" sight-seeing, historical landmarks etc.

What about food? We are not "foodies" but would enjoy a couple good meals, and would probably just get bakery and bagels etc for breakfast in our room.

Just trying to figure a reasonable budget for two adults.

Thanks

With re: to food, we are a family of four, and we always have a villa with a full kitchen, where we eat 2-3 meals per day. I budget an average of $100/day for food on top of that. If you do a luau, depending on where and what features, budget around $200-300 for a party of 2. There are many low-cost/no-cost things to do around the island like hiking, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, walking around the North Shore, visiting various beaches. Little cost involved in any of those things. If you like spa treatments, you can check the prices on the spa menu on the website. If you are planning to tour around the island, you will need a rental car, as Ko'Olina is some distance from many of the places you'll want to visit. Rental cars are sparse and expensive currently, so I would highly recommend reserving what you want/need ASAP. Folks are reporting several hundred dollars for rental cars for a week-long stay. Oh, also, if you are staying on a cash reservation, you will have to pay for parking, which is....around $37 per day, I think?

Personally I budget about double what I do at WDW for food. That normally covers Breakfast/ lunch in the room (full kitchen) with dinner out on hotel days and lunch / dinner out when we're away. Add in a luau and it works for us ... A lot of it depends on where you go / what you eat. Keep in mind that gas tends to be 50% more expensive than in the midwest. Enjoy!

With re: to food, we are a family of four, and we always have a villa with a full kitchen, where we eat 2-3 meals per day. I budget an average of $100/day for food on top of that. If you do a luau, depending on where and what features, budget around $200-300 for a party of 2. There are many low-cost/no-cost things to do around the island like hiking, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, walking around the North Shore, visiting various beaches. Little cost involved in any of those things. If you like spa treatments, you can check the prices on the spa menu on the website. If you are planning to tour around the island, you will need a rental car, as Ko'Olina is some distance from many of the places you'll want to visit. Rental cars are sparse and expensive currently, so I would highly recommend reserving what you want/need ASAP. Folks are reporting several hundred dollars for rental cars for a week-long stay. Oh, also, if you are staying on a cash reservation, you will have to pay for parking, which is....around $37 per day, I think?

Thanks - that;s helpful. especially the rental car info. We would be on points so is there no parking charge then?

Personally I budget about double what I do at WDW for food. That normally covers Breakfast/ lunch in the room (full kitchen) with dinner out on hotel days and lunch / dinner out when we're away. Add in a luau and it works for us ... A lot of it depends on where you go / what you eat. Keep in mind that gas tends to be 50% more expensive than in the midwest. Enjoy!

Thank you

Thanks - that;s helpful. especially the rental car info. We would be on points so is there no parking charge then?
Parking is free for DVC. Check early for rental. I am picking up a rental for 4 days tomorrow that seats 7 for 75 per day. Had I waited just 3 days to reserve the car it would be 250-300 per day. Booking today would be 600 per day. Also the one pleasant surprise for prices was at Costco - there is no price increase for most products vs Costco at home. And gas there is 3.25 per gallon which is what I paid at home too.

Parking is free for DVC. Check early for rental. I am picking up a rental for 4 days tomorrow that seats 7 for 75 per day. Had I waited just 3 days to reserve the car it would be 250-300 per day. Booking today would be 600 per day. Also the one pleasant surprise for prices was at Costco - there is no price increase for most products vs Costco at home. And gas there is 3.25 per gallon which is what I paid at home too.
I second Costco is the way to go for shopping as it is close to the mainland in prices. Do budget for double for what you might pay at WDW for food if eating out. Rental cars are reported to be going up. I just snagged a minivan for my January trip at $383 total for a week.

Food is the expensive part because they grow very little in Hawaii and so almost everything has to be shipped in from long distances. Plan for food to be double what the same things would cost elsewhere

There are a lot of free/inexpensive activities on Oahu! Some of my favorites are:

- driving around the island and stopping at scenic lookouts
- turtle spotting
- Hiking Makapuu
- Waimea Falls Valley Park
- Exploring North Shore
- Walking through Waikiki/around Diamond Head Road (not hiking Diamond Head)
- State parks/botanical gardens like Hoomaluhia

You can look up food prices on Bitesquad, Doordash, etc. For the most part, the online prices are the same (or close to) as what you would pay in person.

For an entree, soft drink, tip, and tax I'd budget $20/person for a casual/diner type table service, $30-$35/person for chains like CPK, and about $60-$100/person for fine dining. If you drink alcohol, I'd add $8/$12/$20 to that budget.

A plate lunch and soft drink will run you anywhere from $10-$16.

We spent the following on tours for two people in Jan '20:
Pearl Harbor: $109
Kuoloa Ranch tour (movie sets and cultural tour): $75
Luau (premium seating): $300
Polynesian Cultural Center (I would not recommend): $115

As others have said, the reason why Hawaii can get to be so expensive is the food and the flights.

Have a great time planning! I just told my husband today that our trip to Aulani was the best vacation I've ever had and I've been to awesome places. If you have other questions, feel free to ask here. I learned so much here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter