Beach stop for 50 between Oceanside and SD?

danacath

DIS Veteran
For the seventh year in a row, DH and I will once again be bringing a group of 50 teens from NE to CA later this month. Every year we have a different itinerary with a new set of challenges. Most of this year's plans are set, but we're still looking for a good place to stop for a quick supper (fast food for 50! lol) and a beach photo op on our way from Fresno to San Diego. We always have a group of kids that have never seen the ocean before, so this is a big deal for them. :yay: Our time will be limited to approx. one hour and we'll need parking for a charter bus.

Originally we were looking in the Carlsbad area, but couldn't find a good parking area for the bus without spending a ton on a permit. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know about obtaining a bus parking permit, but have you looked at the Premium Outlets in Carlsbad (on Paseo del Norte, I think). There is plenty of parking, food includes Ruby's (50's themed diner -- usually a big hit with kids and teens), Panda Express, Starbucks, Rubio's (I think, or is it Wahoo's? Mexican fish tacos), etc. Obviously there will be shopping and also clean restrooms.

Thanks for the suggestion for eating places. Would you happen to know how far away the beach would be from the Premium Outlets? I'm wondering whether it would work for us to eat there, have the bus driver drop us off at the beach for 30 min. or so while he parks back at the Premium Outlets, and then have him pick us up when we're done at the beach.

Someone suggested Moonlight State Beach near Encinitas to my DH, but I'm not quite ready to give up on Carlsbad. :)

I would think that in a bus you'd be 5-15 minutes from the beach at most -- the beach is really close. Try contacting the Carlsbad Visitors Bureau for info on parking at the beach, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter