Bed Bugs at Polynesian

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear about this. It seems to be more common at the Polynesian than the other resorts, from what I have seen. Strange.

I don't care if it's not Disney's fault, I'd be expecting at the least some monetary compensation/refund as a goodwill gesture for this. I can't imagine how awful that must have been for you. At least it was the end of your trip, I guess.
You know, I don't think so. I think it is just the hotel that people post online about more. Because of the same thing I mentioned above, the preconceived notion that beg bugs are an issue with lower quality resorts and people are shocked that something as expensive as Poly could get them. For some reason many people aren't surprised when a Value resort gets them but they are with a Deluxe.

Bedbugs can happen anywhere and if OP flew home they probably infested a few places in route not to mention Captain Cooks before they left when they ate that comped breakfast. But, I question whether this is indeed a confirmed bed bug report.
This is OP's first post.
In everything I've read about bed bugs I've never heard of them 'crawling all over the bed' I believe they hide from light, thus the problems w/ avoiding them.
Also I don't think a 'woman who worked as a congeries' saying she'd send an exterminator is a 'confirmed report.' Not sure what OP means w/ the noun 'congeries' which means a heap or aggregate. Does OP mean a housekeeper/janitor/garbage collector?
Disney has a very specific protocol for dealing with bed bugs and comping someone breakfast so they can go in untreated clothes to the counter service restaurant and thereby infect other spaces/patrons is not in the protocol.[/Q
Bedbugs can happen anywhere and if OP flew home they probably infested a few places in route not to mention Captain Cooks before they left when they ate that comped breakfast. But, I question whether this is indeed a confirmed bed bug report.
This is OP's first post.
In everything I've read about bed bugs I've never heard of them 'crawling all over the bed' I believe they hide from light, thus the problems w/ avoiding them.
Also I don't think a 'woman who worked as a congeries' saying she'd send an exterminator is a 'confirmed report.' Not sure what OP means w/ the noun 'congeries' which means a heap or aggregate. Does OP mean a housekeeper/janitor/garbage collector?
Disney has a very specific protocol for dealing with bed bugs and comping someone breakfast so they can go in untreated clothes to the counter service restaurant and thereby infect other spaces/patrons is not in the protocol.

I'm sorry. I meant concierge, I corrected the post. I scooped up a bug in a tissue and showed her the bug. I googled the image of a bed bug and it looked the same. She confirmed that it looked like a bed bug. That's good enough for me.

Thank you for trying to invalidate the OP's confirmed experience. Not.
I have an analytical mind and OP's description does not fit the behavior of primarily nocturnal Cimex lactularius, nor does OP's description of Disney's response fit what I've read of their response to other confirmed bed bug cases.
Doesn't mean OP didn't have a bug problem - I just don't think it was Cimex lactularius based on what OP described.

Ugh freaks me out. We rarely stay at hotels unless we have to (business trips and our yearly Disney trip). Staying at bwv, BLT and poly in December (10 day trip, now regretting my decision to resort hop!).

Never got bedbugs yet from the dvc rooms but there's always a first. Good luck!

I used to bring my gun so I could blow those suckers away. But now that Disney is gun-free that's not an option.

We went to the Jersey Shore and brought home a colony of bed bugs. The treatment is brutal, one treatment won't do the job. You gotta treat over and over and over.

I have an analytical mind and OP's description does not fit the behavior of primarily nocturnal Cimex lactularius, nor does OP's description of Disney's response fit what I've read of their response to other confirmed bed bug cases.
Doesn't mean OP didn't have a bug problem - I just don't think it was Cimex lactularius based on what OP described.

Yeah, right. More like your subconscious, emotional mind, not wanting to acknowledge that this really happened.

Thanks for the warning but why on earth is it that people want to equate bed bugs with quality of the resort? I can't tell you how many times I hear "bed bug even at Deluxe resorts" or even "beg bugs at 5 star hotel".
No resort is immune and getting them has nothing to do with quality or cost of the hotel

I have read many, many more reports coming from value and moderate resorts than deluxe ones. This is an observation I have made- not some kind of assumption.

Do bed bugs care about how much the hotel cost? No. But bedbugs do thrive in multi-family housing, which is more common among lower-income groups (not exclusive to lower-income groups, of course, but more common to them in most of the USA). It is much harder to clear a bed-bug infestation from multi-family housing than single-family housing, and if a person is low-income to begin with, they may simply not have the funds to do it properly, even if they live in a single-family home.

That seems like a logical explanation for why there is a much greater volume of bed-bug reports out there (on trip advisor, bed bug registry, yelp, etc.) in relation to the values and moderates (as well as in lower-cost lodging in general outside of Disney), than there are in relation to the deluxes or 5-star hotels.

Last edited:

yoda_nopic_on_thread.jpg

All you need is for someone's luggage to come in contact with another piece of luggage that has bedbugs on it! With so many people now traveling, from all over the world, it's a huge issue. My dd had an issue with them at her camp years ago. All clothes had to be taken and washed in hot water, and then dried on the hottest setting. Stuffed animals as well. All the wooden beds were taken out and burned..that night. Metal beds arrived the next day. The exterminator did what needed to be done in the rooms. When she came home, her clothing was left in the garage, and rewashed and dried. Her luggage was put into huge trash bags, tied up and left in the car trunk, out in the summer heat!!!

You can get bedbug bites at movie theaters, in store dressing rooms, in deluxe, high end resorts as well as dive motels. I now leave my bags unpacked until I check out the bedding in our rooms. I try to check behind the bed, and in all drawers. You will, most likely, not see a bedbug. They hate the light!!!!! But you can see the little specks they leave behind!!! If you see those specks, leave the room, and get a new room assigned!! I know that my dd's roommate, at camp, had to go home because she had such a severe reaction to the bites. She never saw a bedbug, not one. My dd, who slept beneath her, on the bottom bunk, had a few bites on her arms, but nothing nearly as severe as the girl above her!!!!

Believe me, it's possible to have bedbugs anywhere!!!!

This is OP's first post.
Disney has a very specific protocol for dealing with bed bugs and comping someone breakfast so they can go in untreated clothes to the counter service restaurant and thereby infect other spaces/patrons is not in the protocol.
Are you calling OP a lier...I think OP was just trying to help others. I personally appreciate that and I'm sure others do to. I doubt you are a bed bug expert. The fact that you accused OP of spreading bugs to captain cooks is ridiculous. Once again someone being flat out rude and condesending on this website AGAIN!

Thanks for the heads up OP. We're checking into the Poly in August and your experiences are a good reminder to be vigilant. :magnify:

Enough. This thread is closed, with a reminder that personal attacks are not permitted on the DISboards. If you have a problem with something that someone posted, use the Report option to alert a moderator, or just put the other poster on ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter