Being offered this upgrade for our CBR room

I know you decided, but just wanted to add having a savanna view does not guarantee tons of animals roaming by. We have stayed there a bunch of times and have ranged from great to awful, with most stays in the ok range for animal watching.

With you saying mostly going to Epcot and DHS, I’d say you made the best choice.

Ya there's something too this no doubt. They are wanting to free up rooms at CBR, but not with a free upgrade.

I don't feel POR is worth the upgrade, and the only way I would stay at AKL is a Savannah room.
We used to stay only savannah view, but the last couple of times we opted for pool view partly because the rooms are closer to the lobby and entrance. We spend most of our time in the parks so weren't really getting the value out of sitting on our balcony and the time we spent at the resort was mostly spent around the resort (pool, Victoria Falls, restaurants, walking around). We didn't find the lack of a savannah view to be a detriment. We will probably no longer book savannah view.

As for whether to switch resorts, to me it depends on what's most important to you on your trip. Price, location, where you're spending your time, how your spending your time. Whichever factors come out on top should dictate the resort IMO. I will say that I never found the distance or transportation at AKL to be particularly problematic.

We've never stayed at Port Orleans but if we did, we'd probably opt for French Quarter since that appears a lot more interesting to us. It's been decades since we stayed at CBR but we liked it when we did and now that the Skyliner is there and it's close to Riviera, it still seems like quite a good option for dining and transportation. AKL is one of our favourites and we do take advantage of the amenities at the resort but we don't stay there every time we go. Our upcoming trip we will be staying at BWV because we are only there for two days which made it most convenient to go to HS & Epcot. Our next trip will be at WL because the Christmas decorations will be up and our last Christmas trip was to AKL so we wanted something different. IMO, if you thought CBR was the right choice initially, stick with it. If it was just something you picked because it was available, maybe consider the alternatives.

Something's not right with these numbers. A Royal Guest Room at POR should only be about $440 more than CBR rack rate in mid-October for a 5-night stay. The AKL rate seems about right but that's not an upgrade "deal"...it's just what you would normally pay rack rate if you stayed there instead. These aren't discounts; in fact, you'd be paying significantly MORE to move to POR at the rate quoted than you would if you just booked POR directly. It feels to me like you're being taking advantage of here.

Something's not right with these numbers. A Royal Guest Room at POR should only be about $440 more than CBR rack rate in mid-October for a 5-night stay. The AKL rate seems about right but that's not an upgrade "deal"...it's just what you would normally pay rack rate if you stayed there instead. These aren't discounts; in fact, you'd be paying significantly MORE to move to POR at the rate quoted than you would if you just booked POR directly. It feels to me like you're being taking advantage of here.
It’s called the Decoy Effect. Disney does not want OP to book POR. They want to move OP to AKL. The POR offer is there to make AKL look more appealing.

I didn’t think about it but the numbers I listed include 4 day park hopper tickets as well. Not just the hotel portion. They never broke it out.

I remember a few years back they were doing this but I forget for which resort.

CBR is a popular resort and most likely filling up quickly. It's the mod with a skyliner, near Riviera and they are getting a refurb. Disney has some info and most likely people who can't get CBR just aren't booking a stay. At the same time AKL isn't that full. So they figure lets offer some "deals" for AKL, make the guest feel like they got a good deal and it frees up rooms at CBR for more people to book. Win/Win for Disney. Now both hotels are full.

I didn’t think about it but the numbers I listed include 4 day park hopper tickets as well. Not just the hotel portion. They never broke it out.
Right but that still doesn't make sense. You're paying $3900 for your package now at CBR with the same tickets right? The increase of $837 to POR for the same package is way too high (it should be about 1/2 that). The increase to AKL makes sense, but again, that's just the regular rack rate increase. It's not a deal.

It’s called the Decoy Effect. Disney does not want OP to book POR. They want to move OP to AKL. The POR offer is there to make AKL look more appealing.
But who is giving OP these numbers? Did this come directly from Disney? That seems super shady. All OP would have to do is price it out online. It just doesn't make sense to me.

But who is giving OP these numbers? Did this come directly from Disney? That seems super shady. All OP would have to do is price it out online. It just doesn't make sense to me.
But how many people are actually going through the trouble to compare prices when Disney reaches out with an apparent deal? It seems they are more likely to come here and ask if we think it’s worth it.

Some people will do their own research, but I bet more often than not these upsell offers work out in Disney’s favor. Otherwise they would not be doing it.

But how many people are actually going through the trouble to compare prices when Disney reaches out with an apparent deal? It seems they are more likely to come here and ask if we think it’s worth it.

Some people will do their own research, but I bet more often than not these upsell offers work out in Disney’s favor. Otherwise they would not be doing it.
I don't know. I've been doing this for over a decade and this just seems odd. @Freshman, did these deals come directly from Disney? And were the packages identical? If you think you might switch to one of these "offers", I would recommend pricing it out on Disney's website first. There are some discounts available for October currently that might yield better deals.

I was offered an upgrade through email and when I logged in I was able to accept one of the offers. Basically I was paying $200 a night for CSR and I upgraded to AKL for $300 a night. I’m glad we did it!

I had an email from Disney, plus an upgrade option showed up in "My Plans". I don't recall the exact details of the offers but they appeared to be cheaper than if I had booked that option at the start. I'm quite happy with what I booked and had zero interest in paying for somewhere else.

Last edited:
I don't know. I've been doing this for over a decade and this just seems odd. @Freshman, did these deals come directly from Disney? And were the packages identical? If you think you might switch to one of these "offers", I would recommend pricing it out on Disney's website first. There are some discounts available for October currently that might yield better deals.
Got an email forwarded from my Dreams Unlimited agent. It said something to the effect that you have a client that is eligible for the following upgrade etc. We are sticking with our original booking. The agent even assumed we would but needs to pass on all possible deals. The other caveat was if we did upgrade we could not change anything about our trip. Couldn’t add a day or change from park hoppers etc.

Got an email forwarded from my Dreams Unlimited agent. It said something to the effect that you have a client that is eligible for the following upgrade etc. We are sticking with our original booking. The agent even assumed we would but needs to pass on all possible deals. The other caveat was if we did upgrade we could not change anything about our trip. Couldn’t add a day or change from park hoppers etc.
Ah...gotcha. The AKL price seems fine, but I'm still incredulous that the move to POR was going to cost you $837 MORE than what you were paying at CBR. Yes the Royal Guest Rooms at POR are more expensive than Standard Rooms at CBR, but even at rack rate it should only be about 1/2 that increase. To make this an actual deal, the offer to move to POR Royal Guest should have been a couple hundred dollars less than what you're paying at CBR. And the fact that AKL (Deluxe) was going to be significantly less than POR (Moderate) makes no sense. Seriously, that's crazy. Disney messed up with those numbers big time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter