Besides the Seuss area, is this place for very small kids - 4yo?

A1A1

DIS Veteran
Hi. The posts I have been reading, and a show I saw on tv about Universal lead me to believe that this place is more for older kids and adults, and that some of the attractions will scare the pants off the littler ones. I have dd 4, and am considering going to the parks at Universal for a day or two in summer.

I don't want to take her on rides that will make her more afraid of the dark than she already is.

Help. Should we wait a year or two longer to do this Universal stuff?

My nephew had been going to US/IOA since he was two (he is now five) and he has always loved it. He loves Suessland and the Woody Woodpecker area and the shows. He is now into the big time rides. He's a tall boy and can get on some serious rides. He's VERY brave.

My four year old is big too, and can't wait to go on the Jurrasic Park ride.. (she's brave!)

She is determined to try everything except Hulk and DD!

There is a lot to do.

No one but you know the sensitivity of your child. Some 4 year olds are ready for anything, some 9 year olds cry & run way when Mickey Mouse wants to shake their hand.
Universal has more shows and soft rides (Barney, Curious George, Woody Woodpecker, Hanna Barberra, Nickelodeon, and ET are aimed at the younger set, other rides are also "non-threatening")
At IOA there are more thrill rides that your child might find overwhelming, but there is still a good amount of attractions for the younger ones, all the stuff in the Seuss area, plus the Flyers in the Jurrassic Park area, and the Popeye area especially if they are okay with getting wet. The Unicorn in IOA or Woody's in Universal are both good introductions to the world of coasters.
I think both parks are fine for any kids over 4, but if you had to pick one or the other with a younger kids I would go with Universal.
:tongue:

M dd was a little older than yours when we first went (5 1/2) but I think you'd find plenty to do at both parks. If your daughter will sit through the show the Wild West Show (Universal) and Sinbad (IOA) are funny! In IOA there is also the Mystic fountain that loves to squirt people, camp Jurrasic (although you would want to accompany her in this area), Discovery trail (where the stegasauras is) and some things in JP Discovery center.

Also, In seuss landing don't forget the little hidden areas like the little "pools" with the Seuss fish in it, to your right as you enter Seuss Landing and "Hortons' egg" in a courtyard directly to the right of the Cat in the Hat gift shop. Don't forget the path by the river, behind Green eggs and Ham. There you'll find "Sneech beach" and the Zax. Also, at "Me ship the Olive" in Toon Lagoon there are many "hands on" activities.

At Universal, my kids could've spent hours in Woody Woodpecker kidzone.

My youngest was 3 1/2 when we visited IOA and he had a great time! He loved Seuss Landing (of course) but he also became addicted to the Flying Unicorn. I think he rode it about 8 times. He also rode Spiderman (he liked parts of it, but not others) and loved Storm Force. He also enjoyed the Sinbad show. My DH and I took turns exploring the many play areas with the youngest or taking the older two on big rides.

USF was also a big hit. He loved the Barney show, the ET and Hanna/Barbera rides, the Curious George play area, and the Woody Woodpecker roller-coaster.

We all had a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter