Best beaches in Orange County???

**Tinker*Bell*7**

Pixie Princess
I'm taking my mom to California in Oct. & on the top of her list of things to do is to see the Pacific Ocean. I've only ever been to Laguna Beach out there & was wondering what is the best beach in Orange County to go to? Or if there's a better beach in the L.A. area worth working out transportation issues for please let me know. We will be using public transportation. THANKS IN ADVANCE! :goodvibes

We went to Huntington Beach for about 4 hours on our trip 2 weeks ago. It was awesome. Beach is so clean and big. Ocean was beautiful. While there, we ate at Ruby's Diner on the end of the pier.:thumbsup2

We went to Huntington, Newport and Laguna last month and Laguna was our favorite, the kids had a great time playing in the ocean. Huntington allows dogs and while the kids found some nice sea shells in was on the dirty side.

Laguna is my favorite spot, but I also love Seal Beach and it's quaint main street.:)

Does Laguna have surf-size waves? We had been leaning towards Huntington, but a national surfing competition will be at Huntington when we are there. Does the fact that our party is 2 adults plus 2 18YO boys make either Huntington or Laguna more attractive?

Laguna is great and is good with the little shops on PCH. Corona Del Mar is pretty nice too. Newport is good with Balboa and the boardwalk. Dana Point is beautiful with the waves crashing on the rocks. And all the little beach areas between Laguna Beach and Dana Point is great.

Thanks for your help everyone.

We've decided to do a 2 hour whale watching cruise out of newport beach & then ride the bus down to laguna beach. :goodvibes

Hello!

How long does it take to drive from Disneyland to either Laguna , Huntington etc? And how is the parking situation?

We are still debating if we should take a hotel in San Diego to do the zoo + beach, or just go for one day to San Diego and do a beach not too far from Disneyland on another day?!

Most of the beaches are very nice, Bolsa Chica State Beach is a favorite of ours. Although they charge to park,,,,about 10.00...that keeps a lot of the riff raff out, and you can have an open fire in the pits...also...there are lots of clean restrooms, and places to eat.....have fun enjoy so calif.

I love Sunset Beach and Seal Beach, reason being there's hardly anyone there most of the time. Unlike Huntington, Newport, Venice, and some of the other tourist spots.

You are coming to So. Cal at the best time of year! None of the beaches will be crowded and you will most probably have perfect mid-70s weather.

I have lived in coastal OC for 12 years now and in So. Cal my whole life. Without a doubt the best beaches are in Laguna and Newport. Big Corona in Newport has ample parking ($10), snack bar, fire rings and other facilities as well as a gorgeous beach. It is in the Corona del Mar part of Newport, which is a cute quintessential California small town. Little Corona is the locals place to go, with a protected cove, tide pools and natural sea arch. Many photographers use it for family portraits. Only deterrent is street parking and a big hike dowhill to get there.

In Laguna, our favorites are Crescent and 1000 steps. These are locals places and will not be on a map, you'll have to ask in town. Main Beach is always great for alot of action and it is walking distance to shops and restaurants of downtown Laguna Beach. Once in a blue moon you can catch Kobe Bryant playing a pick up game of basketball on the courts by the sand (he lives in nearby Newport Coast).

Lastly, Crystal Cove State Park is beautiful and has a nice California casual oceanfront restaurant called the Beachcomber. Great place to sip coctails and watch the sun set.

Hi I just re-read your post. It didn't mention where you are staying but regardless, I HIGHLY suggest renting a car.

Trying to use public transportation in So. Cal is futile. We are just not set up for it. Distances are great. You will spend alot of your precious vacation time trying to navigate the system. And you will find that buses have to travel though some pretty nasty neighborhoods just to get to the good tourist locations.

To put it delicately, oftentimes the routes are more geared to the working immigrant population here and thus the destinations are set up to their needs, not tourists. Read: you will have a HARD TIME getting where you need to go.

Try Priceline - my sister recently got a compact for about $20/day.

Hello!

How long does it take to drive from Disneyland to either Laguna , Huntington etc? And how is the parking situation?

We are still debating if we should take a hotel in San Diego to do the zoo + beach, or just go for one day to San Diego and do a beach not too far from Disneyland on another day?!

It takes about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. :)

The best OC beaches are in Newport, Corona del Mar, and Laguna Beach. Any one of the beaches listed by posters above in these areas are great.

That really depends on the type of setting you want to go to. Do you want something more upscale? Or somewhere with a surfer Cali vibe? Because the "best" for each will be different.

I love Huntington for the more authentic Cali vibe. Be sure to eat at Rubios Mexican food at the end of the pier. I think that's so cool!

As another member mentioned, Laguna and Newport are nice places to go for hanging at the beach during the day and then enjoying a nice dinner in the evening. The Crystal Cove beach in Laguna is all natural and quite beautiful.

We will be in California in July and also want to go to the beach a few times. My question is what to bring with you? Obviously towels and a blanket but does someone need to stay with your stuff the whole time? Do you take turns with someone sitting on the blanket with the cooler while the others are splashing in the ocean? Living in Kansas does not provide too many "beach" opportunities so any advice you could give me on what to do when we go would be greatly appreciated

Although you should always be observant of your stuff....and depending on what beach you go to....most of them are pretty safe....I have never had anything taken...most people that come to the beach bring their own towles..and coolers....keep in mind...if your cooler has alcohol in it...be very careful. The beach teams are out inforce....and they write lots of citations...have a good time while here

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter