Best Disney movies under and over-represented in the theme parks.

jasper

Mouseketeer
Here's a few to start off . . . .

Under-represented:
Hunchback of Notre Dame (ever since they closed the show at DHS)
Pocahontas (ditto at AK)
Mulan (never anything except characters)
Lion King (I know this one is a stretch since there is FOLK at AK, a movie at Epcot, and they used to have the attraction at MK, but this movie deserved a "ride")

Over-represented
Lilo and Stitch (didn't deserve an attraction over those listed above, the musicals are more worthy) (IMHO)

Under: Wall-E. There's quite a missed opportunity with this beloved character and the
Message about waste is invaluable!
Enchanted. So many folks pining to get a chance to meet Giselle. And wouldn't
Marissa be fab at the Villains show?
The Rescuers. What a classic!
Beauty and the Beast. Great movie with great characters and music.
I'm sure there are lots more, just can't think right now. Too early in the morning!

Over: Lilo and Stitch. YES. Absolutely agree with this one! I certainly enjoyed the movie,
Not that much. Not worthy of its own ride!
Muppets. While The Muppets are a childhood fav of mine, why is an entire show
Dedicated to them? (So outdated too) Imagine what classic Disney movie
Shows could go there!
Once again, I'm sure there are more, just too early.:goodvibes

I agree, Lilo and Stitch is absolutely over-represented. Not a bad movie or anything, but I was annoyed when every wake-up alarm I set at my hotel ended up being Stitch FOLLOWED BY Mickey.

Under-represented for me wouldn't be a movie per se, but 'Pete', Mickey's arch nemesis in old cartoons. Is there even a Pete costume character in the parks? He has a restroom or something named after him in Toontown and that's about it. Seems a bit unfair, I've seen Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar for crying out loud.

This thread would be a better fit over on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move this there now.

Under:
Under:
...Enchanted. So many folks pining to get a chance to meet Giselle.

Over: Lilo and Stitch. YES. Absolutely agree with this one! I certainly enjoyed the movie,
Not that much. Not worthy of its own ride!
Muppets. While The Muppets are a childhood fav of mine, why is an entire show
Dedicated to them? (So outdated too) Imagine what classic Disney movie
Shows could go there!
Once again, I'm sure there are more, just too early.:goodvibes

Although I like Enchanted, I don't think it would do well in the parks. I don't know how many people are very attached to that movie.

Lilo and Stitch is a great artistic movie (the water colors and animation), it doesn't have the following that some of the Pixar movies have or classics, such as Beauty and the Beast or Lion King. I think Disney is forcing Lilo and Stitch into the parks.

I think the Muppet Show is timeless, even though it isn't really aired anymore. Maybe that is me just being a fan and thinking that everyone knows the Muppet Show.

I think there are so many classic movies that could be used in the parks. With the extension of Fantasyland more attractions could be added, but how many slow moving movie rides can Disney make? That ride theme would become tiresome, especially when the lines are over an hour long.

I think there should be an extra effort to include Princess and the Frog into the parks. From what I understand Tiana merchandise can't be kept in stock. I think anything including that movie could be a huge success. I know Disneyland has the New Orleans Square area which would provide a perfect theme for a ride like this, but I am talking more about WDW. The bayou theme would make an amazing ride with a boat as the ridecar. The music in that movie is fantastic as well and would have any visitor's foot tapping.

Under
Robin Hood
The Fox and the Hound
Bambi
The Jungle Book
Aristocats
101 Dalmations
Pocahantas
Tarzan
Cars
Bolt
WallE
Lady and the Tramp
The Incredibles
Mulan

Over
Princess and Pirate Merchadise
Snow White
Cinderella
Beauty and the Beast
The Little Mermaid

Under Represented/Not Represented:
Meet the Robinsons
Flight of the Navigator

Over Represented:
Stitch
Toy Story

Now before anyone flames me for listing the Holy Grail of Franchises as Over Represented....I didn't say it was mis-represented, just over represented. When you think about it, TS has a LOT of real estate in WDW. I like it all, it's great, but any more would be too much and i think the parks would be better served in representing other fine films, characters and ideas.

TS has:
DHS: TSM Attraction
DHS: TS characters
DHS: TS characters in parades, soldiers etc..
MK: Buzz Light Year attraction
MK: TS characters
MK: Pizza Planet

So compared to other movies, TS has 2 very major attractions, lots of character presence at meet n greets and parades, the Army soldiers with their routine and a QS themed after it.

I haven't run down the list, but this might be the most represented movie in all of WDW/DL?

Under
The Jungle Book
Yes yes yes! That's one of my all-time favorite Disney movies. On my trip in '02, I just about freaked out when I turned a corner in AK and Baloo & King Louie were standing there. It was early and there was no one else around, so I was able to get some great pics. I haven't seen them on any subsequent trips.

Also agree with Hunchback of Notre Dame. Another of my favorite movies, with some great songs. I'm sad the full stage version never made it to the US.

For over-represented, I also agree with Lilo & Stitch. Is that movie really so popular that it deserves an attraction and a character meal? I've never been on the Stitch ride in MK, but haven't heard great things about it. I think a Wall-E attraction would be a no-brainer to have in Tomorrowland; it's a really beautiful movie with a great message & deserves some WDW real estate.

Also, while I love The Little Mermaid, once the new attraction opens in Fantasyland, I hope they close the show at DHS & put something else there.

I think Lilo & Stitch got more representation because of the very popular cartoon on Disney Channel than because of the movies.

I think Sleeping Beauty is under represented. They could really make an awesome ride to go with that movie. All they have is character meet n greets with Phillip, Aurora, and Maleficent (even though they have her, SUPER rare.) I know she has a castle at Disneyland, but at WDW not much. I know they'll have her cottage or whatever when they redo Fantasyland, but its just another meet n greet oppurtunity.

Muppets. While The Muppets are a childhood fav of mine, why is an entire show Dedicated to them? (So outdated too) Imagine what classic Disney movie Shows could go there!

Going to have to respectfully disagree. The Muppets are a timeless classic and that show, while perhaps old, is not outdated. Muppet comedy really is timeless comedy, people will laugh at those jokes for years to come. While maybe not a true "Disney Classic", the Muppets are very much classic in their own right. And I feel they should be more represented in the parks, not less.

I think the Muppet Show is timeless, even though it isn't really aired anymore. Maybe that is me just being a fan and thinking that everyone knows the Muppet Show.

^This I agree with. :)

I think there should be an extra effort to include Princess and the Frog into the parks. From what I understand Tiana merchandise can't be kept in stock. I think anything including that movie could be a huge success. I know Disneyland has the New Orleans Square area which would provide a perfect theme for a ride like this, but I am talking more about WDW. The bayou theme would make an amazing ride with a boat as the ridecar. The music in that movie is fantastic as well and would have any visitor's foot tapping.

I very much agree. I absolutely love that soundtrack and I could easily see a water based ride along with this movie. Plus, I think that this movie could easily become a classic so I don't think it would become outdated very easily.

I also second The Incredibles and Wall-E being underrepresented. I think that these are fairly popular movies and would do well, if not in the form of a ride then a show, or something at least. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen and of the Incredible characters at the park, or am I just missing them?

I very much agree. I absolutely love that soundtrack and I could easily see a water based ride along with this movie. Plus, I think that this movie could easily become a classic so I don't think it would become outdated very easily.

I also second The Incredibles and Wall-E being underrepresented. I think that these are fairly popular movies and would do well, if not in the form of a ride then a show, or something at least. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen and of the Incredible characters at the park, or am I just missing them?

You're missing them. They meet at the Animation Building at DHS during the daytime pretty much everyday. :thumbsup2

Under-merchandised:
~ The Hunchback of Notre Dame!!!!!!! The exclamation points say it all!!!
~ The Princess and the Frog—I was there in December two weeks after the movie opened, and all I could find in the shops were three pins, the Tiana tutu, and the little plush frogs. Now that the Showboat Jubilee is closed, what chance has the new princess of getting as much attention as the old ones? And, more importantly, Facilier’s going to go the way of Frollo and Ratigan instead of Maleficent or Hook, which is not cool >.<
~ The villains in general, especially if these rumors I’m hearing of Villains in Vogue closing are true
~ The Sword in the Stone—sooo much love for the ceremony in front of the carousel, but they could still do more with it. Madame Mim for a face character!
~ The Great Mouse Detective
~ Hercules—it used to be pretty big, and then it kind of fizzled out
~ Enchanted

Over-merchandised
~ Toy Story. For the love of Walt, Toy Story. Is it really necessary to have two rides and a parade for one movie?
~ Pirates and Princesses. I hate how it automatically assumes everybody wants to be like Cinderella and Jack Sparrow. This little girl wanted to be Maleficent when she grew up, and I’ve always been ignored!

I think at times Disney is behind in all of their new projects when it come to the parks. I feel that they should already have something in place when a movie is released or a short time after. But still keep the classics.

Under -

Wall-E - At least have something in MK TL or at Epcot in FS
Cars - eplace the TL Speedway in MK with ones from the movie.
Jungle Book - Something maybe at AK
Tarzan -(This was one of Disney's biggest monie making animated films and there is nothing anywhere) - something at AK
Hunchback/Aladdin- They should change the Beauty and the Beast stage show at DHS with Hunchback, Aladdin. Rotate them from time to time.
The Incredibles - Something at DHS

Over -

I can't say anything is to much over the top. Toy story is a big hit I think for the boys. Stitch was a bit hit as well but maybe not done in a way that they have him in MK TL. When MK construction is done in 2012 there will be more attractions for the little princesses out there but I think they need to look after more attractions for the boys as well. That's why I think they do push the Toy Story thing and the Pirates.

Proof that Stitch is over represented:
IMG_0210.jpg

I also have an ornament packed away that is just of the fab 5 and Stitch.

Under:
Hercules
Incredibles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter