rschase

Earning My Ears
My parents (67 and 62) and myself (29) will be traveling for 3 nights in early December, and are trying to decide which resort would be the best fit for us. We only plan to go to Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Disney Springs.
I was looking at AOA (Cars Suites) or Riviera (1 Bedroom) for 2 showers and skyliner access. I've also found good deals at Saratoga Springs (1 Bedroom) and Port Orleans French Quarter as I've heard both of those have a more calm 'vibe' from what I've heard.
Trying to decide if the extra cost for the extra shower would be worth it, or if there's a resort that would fit best with the particular demographics of our travel party.

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Music, and Caribbean Beach before and not been fans, however Wilderness Lodge was a favorite, just to give some context on my parents' taste.
My parents haven't been since 2014, so this is mostly an opportunity to relax, enjoy festival of the holidays, and for them to check out the new things that they haven't gotten to experience (ex. Galaxy's Edge, Ratatouille, Toy Story Land). Just having a super hard time making the best choice, as I've never stayed at any of these. :)

Based on your tastes you would probably not like Art of Animation. It's a value resort with a ton of "in your face" Disney theming (not a bad thing btw, just pointing it out) and A LOT of families, specifically little kids. If you want Skyliner access I would go with Riviera. It has a lot of good dining options, is close to Epcot and HS and you are eligible for extra deluxe hours at Epcot when you wouldn't be at AoA.

Based on your tastes you would probably not like Art of Animation. It's a value resort with a ton of "in your face" Disney theming (not a bad thing btw, just pointing it out) and A LOT of families, specifically little kids. If you want Skyliner access I would go with Riviera. It has a lot of good dining options, is close to Epcot and HS and you are eligible for extra deluxe hours at Epcot when you wouldn't be at AoA.
Thanks for the info! Any thoughts on Saratoga Springs or POFQ compared to Riviera? My only concern with RR is that it's quite a bit more expensive than the other options.

Thanks for the info! Any thoughts on Saratoga Springs or POFQ compared to Riviera? My only concern with RR is that it's quite a bit more expensive than the other options.
So I never stayed at Saratoga but my parents have and they liked how quiet it was. It is more spread out than Riviera and has a few bus stops (I believe they have 4?) but if you have a car then that won't be much of an issue. You can also walk to Disney Springs. From the front of the resort to DS is about a 15 minute walk. I've done that walk and there are plenty of signs showing you where to go so you won't get lost. You also get the extended evening hours at Epcot since it is a deluxe.

I never stayed at POFQ but I did stay at Riverside which is the sister resort to FQ. They're basically the same resort amenities wise, you're allowed to use the pool at Riverside when staying at FQ and vice versa. They are motel style rooms where you enter from the outside but the rooms are nice and modern looking. FQ only has 1 bus stop which is really nice but you do not get the extended evening hours. There's also a boat that goes to DS and is about a 5 minute drive to Epcot if you have a car.

If Riv. is within your price range, check out BC and BWV, both are DVC so have one bedroom suites and both are within walking distance to both HS and BW. I think those might be better choices the Riv simply because you aren't relying on the skyliner, which can and does go down with wind or bad weather and can and does get long lines.

An alternative is Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve. They have little mini suites or you might even be able to get two rooms for the price of a room or 1 bedroom at RIV. They are not in your face Disney theming since they are not owned by Disney but are still within walking distance of both parks and do get the same perks as Disney deluxe resorts.

My parents (67 and 62) and myself (29) will be traveling for 3 nights in early December, and are trying to decide which resort would be the best fit for us. We only plan to go to Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Disney Springs.
I was looking at AOA (Cars Suites) or Riviera (1 Bedroom) for 2 showers and skyliner access. I've also found good deals at Saratoga Springs (1 Bedroom) and Port Orleans French Quarter as I've heard both of those have a more calm 'vibe' from what I've heard.
Trying to decide if the extra cost for the extra shower would be worth it, or if there's a resort that would fit best with the particular demographics of our travel party.

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Music, and Caribbean Beach before and not been fans, however Wilderness Lodge was a favorite, just to give some context on my parents' taste.
My parents haven't been since 2014, so this is mostly an opportunity to relax, enjoy festival of the holidays, and for them to check out the new things that they haven't gotten to experience (ex. Galaxy's Edge, Ratatouille, Toy Story Land). Just having a super hard time making the best choice, as I've never stayed at any of these. :)
Given your parameters and plans, I'd say Riviera would likely be worth the extra cost. The only way to beat the Skyliner access to both DHS and Epcot would be to stay at Yacht or Beach Club, Boardwalk (Inn or Villas), Swan, Swan Reserve, or Dolphin (which have the convenient Friendship boats and walkways to both parks), and Riviera is a very elegant and relaxing resort, having been inspired by resorts on the French Riviera that Walt and Lillian Disney would have stayed in and seen on their travels during the 1930s. It also has Topolino's, which is one of the highest rated restaurants at WDW currently, as well as an excellent counter service restaurant.

Edited to add - obviously, I agree with @loves to dive!

I would definitely recommend Yacht Club to 3 adults that want access to DHS and Epcot and a calmer vibe. You can easily walk to both parks or take a casual boat ride. This access makes it easy for resort early morning entry, hopping, and heading home after the fireworks. Yacht Club also has a nice train display and tree that go up after Thanksgiving. You can even run over to it's sister resort, the Beach Club, and enjoy the life-size gingerbread carousel on display in the lobby. IDK if a pool would interest you in December, but I would say Stormalong Bay is the best pool on property. If Stormalong Bay gets too loud, Yacht Club has a nice quiet pool away from the action. Yachtsman Steakhouse would be located in your lobby and it's a great signature option. You would be close to the Boardwalk and could walk or boat over to take advantage of some of the nighttime activities there.

Yacht Club also has that darker/warmer feel it seems your parents enjoyed at WL. Yacht Club rack rate should come in under a 1-bedroom at most resorts, but you would only have 1 bathroom. I personally wouldn't plan walking or boat proximity to Disney Springs over theme parks because you can always take a ride share there. I'd prefer getting dropped off by Uber/Lyft at Disney Springs compared to the parks.

I would also agree that Yacht Club is the way to go here if you enjoy Wilderness Lodge. WL is my absolute favorite resort in all of the Disney catalog because of the warm feel good vibe it has. Yacht Club has that same kind of vibe but brings a more refined quality to the mix that your parents might really like. I know it can be on the more expensive side but these kind of memories with your parents will last you a lifetime.

For a short Epcot/HS trip I would definitely stay near International Gateway resorts. BCV/BWV or Swan/Dolphin. It's an easy walk or boat ride to anywhere you want to go. RIV is also a great choice with the skylines...but think some of the options will be cheaper if that is a deciding factor

We prefer BWI or YC for easy access to Epcot, WS, and DHS. If I want to spend less, I choose POFQ: you will bus to the parks but there is a boat to DS.

If u don't mind walking, then definitely a Disney EP resort...my personal favorite is garden view or quiet pool view at BWI, but if YC or BC has a better deal, which I doubt (hence another reason for my preference for BWI), then book one of those. All 3 are walking distance to both EP and HS. You could look at Swan or Dolphin or the Reserve, but they are Marriott branded hotels and not Disney, but again walkable to EP and HS ....although Reserve may be a bit of a hike.

Been a very long time since I posted this, but I wanted to reach out to everyone and say thanks so much for all of your help! In an odd twist of events, we ended up going with the Gran Destino Tower! My mom saw a video of it and fell in love, so we're going to see how that goes, get those deluxe vibes a bit more in our budget. Thanks again everyone!

Been a very long time since I posted this, but I wanted to reach out to everyone and say thanks so much for all of your help! In an odd twist of events, we ended up going with the Gran Destino Tower! My mom saw a video of it and fell in love, so we're going to see how that goes, get those deluxe vibes a bit more in our budget. Thanks again everyone!
Hope you enjoy your trip!! If you ever want to do the MK side you can try a one bedroom at Bay Lake. Two full bathrooms. (same at AK Kidani. ). It works well for us when we bring our adult son and DIL. And a Poly studios have two shower areas.

An alternative is Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve. They have little mini suites or you might even be able to get two rooms for the price of a room or 1 bedroom at RIV. They are not in your face Disney theming since they are not owned by Disney but are still within walking distance of both parks and do get the same perks as Disney deluxe resorts.
This would be my suggestion as well.

You made an EXCELLENT choice!!

We stayed at GDT for one night to try it out and we loved it. The rooms are beautiful, as is the entire building. It's definitely got a deluxe vibe, minus the balcony.

And if you've got a water view and are on a high-ish floor, you can see the MK fireworks from your room.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter