Best resort to start/end your trip?

Chili327

DIS Veteran
I recently asked in the AKV thread if people would rather start or end their trip at AKV, but now i'm wondering what other resorts people have a preference of specifically to start or end, not just your home resort (i guess this is just for people who like split stays. lol)
If you have a fav way to start or end your trip what is it and why?

Last edited:
For us the resort doesn’t matter as much as the room type. Also switch to the same size or larger accommodation. Your vacation doesn’t look the same if you’re squeezed into a studio after starting the trip in a 1 bedroom.
Yea, each trip may be different but if I start in one type of room I’ll end in the same type. Studio, or 2bdrm depending on who is coming with on the trip.

I don't see us ever doing split stays. But if we did, I'd probably end my trip at whichever resort had the more relaxing vibe. Mainly because we tend to move a bit quicker the first couple days and then we just sort of slow down and and take on a more 'stop and smell the roses' approach. So I feel like ending with the more relaxing/less hectic resort would be my goal.

We are split staying this summer, starting at AKL, as I think that’s when the kids will be most excited and need lots of stimulation at the resort… then heading over to SSR where we can all chill and hopefully find some time for meals out.

Started at AKL Jambo and switched to Poly. Loved it! Relaxed at the pool arrival day. Bussed to AK and HS while at Jambo. Moved to Poly and ENJOYED monorail to Epcot and MK. Walked to TTC to go to Epcot. Ride gog 4 times 🤩 enjoyed the pool at poly on my last full day.
I’m planning to start at AKL again in the future after the refurb. Maybe 2026 do a Jambo/ BLT split in 2 bdrm with my whole crew.

We started at AKL Jambo last year for the resort part and then BLT and RIV for NY. Because of the time of year we visited I liked it in that order. In other circumstances I would like to do the busy part first and then end at AKL.

I don't see us ever doing split stays. But if we did, I'd probably end my trip at whichever resort had the more relaxing vibe. Mainly because we tend to move a bit quicker the first couple days and then we just sort of slow down and and take on a more 'stop and smell the roses' approach. So I feel like ending with the more relaxing/less hectic resort would be my goal.
Definitely... the idea on my trip was I just wanted to decompress when I first got there (AKV), but I can see the bonus of just start off running, then relaxing after a few days when you start slowing down anyway. My trip might have been a little different because I stayed off site that first night so it got me into vacation mode before I even got inside the bubble.

Started at AKL Jambo and switched to Poly. Loved it! Relaxed at the pool arrival day. Bussed to AK and HS while at Jambo. Moved to Poly and ENJOYED monorail to Epcot and MK. Walked to TTC to go to Epcot. Ride gog 4 times 🤩 enjoyed the pool at poly on my last full day.
I’m planning to start at AKL again in the future after the refurb. Maybe 2026 do a Jambo/ BLT split in 2 bdrm with my whole crew.
We started at AKL Jambo last year for the resort part and then BLT and RIV for NY. Because of the time of year we visited I liked it in that order. In other circumstances I would like to do the busy part first and then end at AKL.
I loved starting at AKV, then moving to others as I wanted to explore more of the "world" but I'm thinking I might also like ending my trip at AKV after I get all the excitement of out my system.

I feel like any Crescent Lake, or monorail resort just isn't as relaxing. Funny how it always comes back to AKV.. Maybe AKV is the most relaxing resort? So we all want to start there or end there. :)

I might prefer to end at OKW. That is a very low stress resort when we are not as gung-ho about the parks. There is nothing like that nice relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs to grab a bite to eat and see what else you can cram in your suitcase while shopping.

I found BRV to be pretty low key and relaxing and I really think not having the monorail there plays a big part in that. I'd also really like to try out SSR because it looks super low key as well. And if my son didn't hate browsing shops so much, it would be cool to be near Disney Springs.

I recently asked in the AKV thread if people would rather start or end their trip at AKV, but now i'm wondering what other resorts people have a preference of specifically to start or end, not just your home resort (i guess this is just for people who like split stays. lol)
If you have a fav way to start or end your trip what is it and why?
We like to end our trip at an MK resort. Our flights usually leave early afternoon. If we are at an MK resort, we can do one last visit to MK in the morning before we leave. We have AP's, so this works for us.

We love to start at BW. Epcot is our favorite park and our first park day is always spent there.
Plus, BW was the first DVC resort that we ever stayed at and feels like home. :love:
I love it as well… funny how that works, my first (and only) WDW trip I stayed at AKV, BWV & BRV, mainly because of research I did, but now it feels like those are my faves as well, even though I visited others and liked them I think there is something about first times that creates a special memory.

We love to start at BW. Epcot is our favorite park and our first park day is always spent there.
Plus, BW was the first DVC resort that we ever stayed at and feels like home. :love:

Epcot has the advantage of being an evening park - so if you can get to the resort early, BW is a great place to start with because you can stroll into Epcot for the afternoon/evening.

We honestly don't stay for long enough to make split stays worthwhile.

Epcot has the advantage of being an evening park - so if you can get to the resort early, BW is a great place to start with because you can stroll into Epcot for the afternoon/evening.

We honestly don't stay for long enough to make split stays worthwhile.
I wish I had that advantage. I don’t see being able to arrive much earlier than 9pm (from west coast) unless I do a red eye, but then I feel like I’d be a zombie all day anyway. ;)

I generally don’t like split stays, but if I must, then the choice of resorts depends on the purpose of the trip. For my last split stay in Nov, started at VGF because of MNSSHP. It was nice to walk back to resort. Then moved BCV for the W&D race weekend and the after-race party on Sunday night. Nice to just walk back to the resort.

I generally don’t like split stays, but if I must, then the choice of resorts depends on the purpose of the trip. For my last split stay in Nov, started at VGF because of MNSSHP. It was nice to walk back to resort. Then moved BCV for the W&D race weekend and the after-race party on Sunday night. Nice to just walk back to the resort.
Yes, I do feel like I want to be closer to a resort when they have extended evening hours (or if I was attending AH party), which seems like it’s hard to plan that 11 months out, all I can do is go off of last years days/dates, but almost safe to say a stay at AKV (beginning or end) is safe to plan on the weekend.
Everything else is a crapshoot between Crescent Lake and 7 Seas Lagoon.

I love it as well… funny how that works, my first (and only) WDW trip I stayed at AKV, BWV & BRV, mainly because of research I did, but now it feels like those are my faves as well, even though I visited others and liked them I think there is something about first times that creates a special memory.

My first on-site stay was All Star Sports when I was 14. :laughing:

My first stay as an adult was Port Orleans Riverside when I was 26 though and it definitely holds a special place for me! So peaceful and nice.

My first on-site stay was All Star Sports when I was 14. :laughing:

My first stay as an adult was Port Orleans Riverside when I was 26 though and it definitely holds a special place for me! So peaceful and nice.
Do you visit PO-R when you go to WDW?

We've had a few split stays that ended at AKL, and those were great. We saved our AK park days until the end of the trip.
I just did a trip that was a SSR/CCV split, and ending at Wilderness lodge was wonderful. I wish we'd had longer at WL. We saved all our MK time for the WL part of the stay.
So, most of the park planning, which days we'll be where, depends on how we structure the split.
Our home is BWV, and we're usually there This last trip reminded me just how inconvenient it is going to/from Epcot/HS. especially during an EPCOT festival, when not staying at an Epcot resort. We love, love the convenience of walking. So, BWV is often part of a split.
I agree that if changing room sizes, do the smaller one first if possible. We've done a couple of Poly splits, with the Poly studio first, then the 1 or 2 bedroom
Happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter