• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best restaurants for daughter's 6th birthday dinner?

brettb

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for suggestions....

We're doing CRT for breakfast.

She likes pizza without sauce, macaroni and cheese to some extent, and some fried chicken fingers, though the ones at Le Cellier didn't really float her boat.

She liked Jiko and Portabello Yacht Club, the latter possibly being her favoriite.

Mommy and Daddy aren't particularly interested in a character dinner....

We're just trying to get a feel for someplace with good food that offers birthday treatment that's appropriate for a 6 year old girl.

(We observed nice dinner b-day treatment at CRT, but the Castle twice in one day seems a bit much and the food pales compared to Jiko, PYC and the like.)

Well, We're doing Chef Mickey's when my DS turns 6 next month--although I know you don't want a character meal. Sorry, that's my best shot.

I believe that the Yachtsmans Steakhouse does a dessert which is great for kids..a chocolate Mickey Puzzle. Havent eaten there myself, yet, so maybe someone can give you more info. It sounds like you are after eating somewhere a little quieter than the usual kids favourites (Whispering Canyon Cafe, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace etc) so maybe this would be a good choice, especially if she enjoyed the Yacht Club Galley.

Hope you have fun, wherever you choose.

Allie

If she is a Pooh fan, then Crystal Palace is the place. Our DD is 7 and loves Eeyore.

50's PrimeTime has a yummy Smore's dessert and she may love the interaction there too.

Originally posted by allie5
I believe that the Yachtsmans Steakhouse does a dessert which is great for kids..a chocolate Mickey Puzzle.

Yes, it is a 6-piece, white chocolate puzzle. It comes with a paint brush and a few blots of food coloring "paint"
You put the puzzle together, then paint the Mickey, then enjoy the pieces.
It is one of the most popular desserts at YSH.

My dd had her 6th birthday dinner at Crystal Palace. It is one thing that she still talks about. We loved it. I figure that one more character meal isn't going to be that big of a deal and soon enough she isn't going to be interested in them. In fact, at 11, she says..'Sure, we can do a character meal if you want but I don't really care.'

And after our visit in August, my dh's first time there, it is now a must do for dinner. The food was really quite good, from an adult point of view.

My dd celebrated her 7th birthday at Cinderella's Gala Feast at GF. The food was terrific and she had a wonderful time. I had pre-ordered the cinderella slipper desserts for my girls and the dog bones for my ds.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....

But I got her to answer the question herself without tipping her off about the trip....

Some background.... We told her that we were having her (kids') birthday party the weekend before her actual birthday. Last night, she said to me, "Daddy, I know why we can't have the party on my birthday."

I replied, "Really, and why is that?" Thankfully, I didn't assume that my wife had filled her in or she had caught on somehow.

She told me that it was because the pottery place (it's a paint-your-own-and-have-them-fire-it place) wasn't available the weekend of her birthday. Whew! Clever Mommy!

So I asked her -- if she could go any where in the world -- for dinner on the night of her real bithday, where would she want to go. She told me, "Big Fish." Which is a nearby restaurant that she really likes but has fallen out of favor with Mommy & Daddy. So I told her that Big Fish gives Mommy & Daddy a tummy ache. She said, "Oh, you mean the burps." So I asked her what her second choice would be. She started to say something, stopped, and looked a little bashful. So I prodded her a bit and she said, "but it's in Disneyworld and that's too far away." So I asked her to tell me anyway.

"Jiko. It's my favorite. They have the BEST pizza. They even cut it into SQUARES!"

So I said, "Well, since Jiko is in Disneyworld, and Big Fish gives Mommy & Daddy the burps, tell me your 3rd choice." So she said, "Grandma's house." And if we can't go there, she wants to go to "Macaroni Grills."

So I have my answer! Now I just have to cancel my backup reservation for dinner at CRT and make one for Jiko.

Thanks for everybody's help--it definitely would have come in handy if I'd ultimately had to guess at what she'd like!

Brett

Clever mom and dad! Hope she has a great time and obviously she has impeccable taste for someone so young. I only hope my children turn out as well as yours.
Much pixie dust,
Claire

Thanks, fizz13!

If only she was a better eater.... a sauceless pizza just about anywhere will satisfy her food-wise. She usually does a good job with grilled cheese sandwiches, too. But fried chicken fingers and mac and cheese are a bit hit or miss. And that's about the limit of what she'll eat. At Liberty Tree Tavern, she'll probably eat a little mac and cheese and a lot of bread. I kind of wanted to Chefs de France, but my wife said we couldn't just feed her bread--which was what I had suggested. ;)

She seems to appreciate atmosphere quite a bit; flowers on the table or a nice decor in general seem to weigh a lot in her preferences. Not that she doesn't have a blast at Chuck E. Cheese when she goes with one of her friends.....

Brett

Hi Brett! Your DD sounds very similar to mine, right down to the sauceless pizza! Now that DD is 11, mac and cheese is a more reliable option, as are fingers. I think she had to get over the "chunk o' bone in the McNuggets" thing... DD still doesn't eat "flesh" meats, jsut the prechewed varieties- burgers, dogs, sausage, meatballs, sometimes nuggets. No fish, chicken, steak, pork, etc. However, she has recently learned to adore rice with sauces (always been a rice and naked pasta fan- "just olive oil or butter, sauce on the side, please"), which has mom and dad dancing in the streets! She now enjoys Indian, Asian, and Middle Eastern cuisines...we just order her a pile-o-rice and she spoons on the sauces from our meals! YAY!!! Tangerine Cafe/Marrakesh, here we come!!! Actually, I was going to suggest Boma- DD's favorite restaurant. When we were there for her birthday trip, I didn't expect anything special as I hadn't made any 'arrangements'. T 6yo next to us, however, had just celebrated her b'day by being a "little chef" and 'helping' in the kitchen. However, when CM serving us caught wind of my DD's b'day (turning 9, then), she brought out a large, festively-decorated cupcake with a candle and many, many gummy bears decorating the plate. Very nice, vey unexpected, which of course made it very "magic"! Good luck with feeding DD, it will get easier, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, whenever it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter