• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Solution for Seasickness?

Off to Neverland 7

DIS Veteran
Dramamine vs. Bonine vs. Patch (where do you get these from?) vs. any other options?

DBF and I easily get motion sickness while sitting in the backseat of a car or sometimes on a plane.. we're a little concerned about getting seasick. What's the best, least drowsy, most enjoyable solution to seasickness?

Thank you in advance!

Dramamine vs. Bonine vs. Patch (where do you get these from?) vs. any other options?

DBF and I easily get motion sickness while sitting in the backseat of a car or sometimes on a plane.. we're a little concerned about getting seasick. What's the best, least drowsy, most enjoyable solution to seasickness?

Thank you in advance!

I believe it's always best to start with the minimum.

Other options (not drug based) are ginger, green apples, sea bands.

There are many people who get car sick, who have no problems onboard ships. You really won't know for sure whether you'll have the problem until you try it.

My husband always had problems with all sorts of motion sickness, so when we started cruising, he got the patch. It worked well for him for our first couple of cruises. Then he started having issues with side effects being really bad. He still take the patch along with him when we cruise, but typically only uses the sea bands on really rocky days.

When we took the kids along the first time, I brought the whole arsenal: ginger tablets, Bonine, Dramamine, sea bands and nobody needed any of it.

I get terribly motion sick on airplanes, spinning amusement park rides and in the car sometimes just going to the next town if my DH is driving particularly aggressive. I was really worried about cruising. But I agree with PP that said that doesn't really indicate if you will get sick on board a cruise ship. The motion is just different on a big ship than it is in a car or airplane.

For me, I started taking bonine a couple of days before the cruise (needed it to fly anyway) and continued to take it all week. (I usually still feel a little green when I fly and take it, but I don't throw up so it's worth it to me).

I also wore sea bands on the really rough days. We had two evenings where it was hard to walk straight down the hall due to the motion of the boat so I wanted to be safe. The only time I ever actually felt motion sick was when I tried to use the elliptical in the gym when the boat was moving. That was just too much differing motion for my body to take. Otherwise I was fine.

And my son who is prone to car sickness never complained of feeling sick once on board. However, my other son who never complains of motion sickness did complain a little bit on the rough days.

OK, before this trip, I always used dramamine.

I will say those this time, I used this oil product that you put behind the ear...and shockingly, it worked for me and my kids.

I didn't use dramamine once. So worth considering as an option.

OK, before this trip, I always used dramamine. I will say those this time, I used this oil product that you put behind the ear...and shockingly, it worked for me and my kids. I didn't use dramamine once. So worth considering as an option.
What's the oil? I'm a big EO user and would be worth a try.

Thank you in advance!

My honest and best advice is seek advice from a medical professional, and not from a cruise board where posters may not be medically trained, but still give out medical advice.

Everyone is different, for example some say Ginger but it's an irretant to others.

What's the oil? I'm a big EO user and would be worth a try.

MotionEaze. I forgot, I brought some of that along also. I tried it the first day out on our first cruise. Unfortunately (well, really, fortunately) I don't need such aids, so can't tell you if it really works or not, but others have said it does.

2qn01g2.jpg

I bought it at WalMart.

Dining room server on MIL's Holland America cruise saw that she wasn't feeling 100% and brought her a sliced green apple with a small bowl of salt. Counseled her to dip the apple into the salt and eat it.

I can't imagine it was a taste sensation but it stopped her impending motion sickness like *that*. She felt fine the rest of the cruise.

I often wonder how much the non-medical solutions work simply because people want them to work. :scratchin

MotionEaze. I forgot, I brought some of that along also. I tried it the first day out on our first cruise. Unfortunately (well, really, fortunately) I don't need such aids, so can't tell you if it really works or not, but others have said it does.

2qn01g2.jpg

I bought it at WalMart.

I got some at CVS. The only downside is that it smells a bit. It's nothing horrible, but it does have an odor (kind of like a health food store). The smell dissipates after a little while. But when I was feeling a little "icky" on our last cruise, this stuff did the trick. No side effects either...and no drugs.

If you want to read reviews, just look up the product on Amazon. There are lots of reviews there.

Here is my " no more seasick" recipe. I used to be the queen of seasickness and have been symptom free for the past 5 years.

All can usually be purchased from CVS, Wallgreens, or online at Walmart.

Ginger capsules- take 2 twice a day morning and night starting 3 days before your cruise.

Night before cruise- take non drowsy Bonnine

First cruise day and every day of cruise- 2 ginger capsules in the morning, chew ginger gum, once or twice during the day ( I purchase the Sea Band brand). Use Motion ease- I love the stuff and love the smell too. I put it on behind my ears and on my wrist. It is my perfume for the week and thankfully my husband like the smell as well.

If feeling even a tiny bit queasy with these three homeopathic products. Ginger capsules, ginger gum, and the motion ease, then add the Bonnine into the mix as well.

If I take the Bonnine the night before and embarkation day, I can usually get away with just the other 3 the rest of the week.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Thank you in advance!

none of the above..
Sea Bands - they work for us.
until i found sea bands, there was no good solution for us.
the various medical solutions you mention made us ill or drowsy - so we couldn't take them.

The sea bands are a miracle. DD and i also use them on land (i just had to wear them for the past few days when i had a major attack of dizziness/nausea).

DD and her husband first used them on their alaska cruise 2 years ago.
on the first day of the cruise they were seriously ill.
DD remembered that i'd mentioned that she try sea bands - so she went to the ship store. The sales person said, don't worry, these will take effect within 10 minutes. And that's what happened. Magic.
So then her husband tried them. Again, magic.

So the next time i went on a cruise (i took my mom and sister on that one), i bought 3 sets to take with me just in case.
I figured i wouldn't need them as the caribbean usually is so calm it's not an issue. Well, who knew we'd run into hurricane Sandy.
All three of us were ill. I tried them first and they worked like a charm.
Next my mom did, again they worked.
Finally my sister tried them - again success.

So that's what i recommend. Sea bands. I don't know how they work, but they do. At least for my family.

2qn01g2.jpg

I bought it at WalMart.

Ooh I like the non-medicine route. I'll give this oil a try. Thank you!!

none of the above..
Sea Bands - they work for us.
until i found sea bands, there was no good solution for us.
the various medical solutions you mention made us ill or drowsy - so we couldn't take them.

The sea bands are a miracle. DD and i also use them on land (i just had to wear them for the past few days when i had a major attack of dizziness/nausea).

DD and her husband first used them on their alaska cruise 2 years ago.
on the first day of the cruise they were seriously ill.
DD remembered that i'd mentioned that she try sea bands - so she went to the ship store. The sales person said, don't worry, these will take effect within 10 minutes. And that's what happened. Magic.
So then her husband tried them. Again, magic.

So the next time i went on a cruise (i took my mom and sister on that one), i bought 3 sets to take with me just in case.
I figured i wouldn't need them as the caribbean usually is so calm it's not an issue. Well, who knew we'd run into hurricane Sandy.
All three of us were ill. I tried them first and they worked like a charm.
Next my mom did, again they worked.
Finally my sister tried them - again success.

So that's what i recommend. Sea bands. I don't know how they work, but they do. At least for my family.

I like this option too. I think I'll give these a try as well. Thank you for sharing :)

I expressed my concerns with my Doctor and she prescribed meds to me. It was the best cruise ever. Never felt sick. Will be doing the same for April.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter