Best tour for animal lovers?

ConnecticutNonna

DIS Veteran
Hi,
Looking for an animal tour.
Could be AKL or AK.
We do have a 4 y/o in tow.
We will make child care arrangements if necessary.
TIA, NonnaT

According to the Disney webisite, the four year old is old enough to join you on the AK Caring for Giants tour. We really enjoyed it. Informative, great CMs .... you get away from park crowds, but it is not so long that you are giving up tons of touring time.

According to the Disney webisite, the four year old is old enough to join you on the AK Caring for Giants tour. We really enjoyed it. Informative, great CMs .... you get away from park crowds, but it is not so long that you are giving up tons of touring time.
How much "interaction" did you have with the elephants? I know there is no touching etc., but are they fairly close? Or do you need binoculars to see them? This will probably be what tour we do...Thanks

How much "interaction" did you have with the elephants? I know there is no touching etc., but are they fairly close? Or do you need binoculars to see them? This will probably be what tour we do...Thanks
The best way I can describe it is that it is like I was on a front porch and the closest elephants were in the yard across the street. You have time to observe from a couple of areas overlooking the elephants. We watched several eating and Rafiki, the oldest spraying water. We also watched as the baby, stella, wandered into the area and walked under Rafiki's trunk. The CM that introduced us to the elephants was great...he told us that he was going to talk and was happy to answer questions....but that he understood we were there to watch the elephants and he wasn't expecting us to look at him as he talked.

Hi! We've done Caring for Giants, Wild Africa Trek, and Backstage Tales. For an animal lover, I'd suggest the Backstage Tales. There is so much information on the care, feeding, and the animals themselves. We loved it!

Hi! We've done Caring for Giants, Wild Africa Trek, and Backstage Tales. For an animal lover, I'd suggest the Backstage Tales. There is so much information on the care, feeding, and the animals themselves. We loved it!

Wow, thanks for suggesting backstage tales, I think my DH would love that. I wouldn't have found it if you hadn't suggested it, as it doesn't show up on the website for some reason. I even tried searching the website, but couldn't find it until I googled it.

I was wondering about the wild africa trek vs savor the savanna. Any opinions on those?

Bringing this back from 2018.

Would you still recommend these options?

There is availability for Savor the Savanna and Wild Africa Trek during my dates.

I keep checking for Caring for Giants, without luck so far.

I'm so glad you reopened this because my kids love that Disney+ show about Animal Kingdom. We all watch and actually pay attention. They would LOVE the Caring for Giants. Gonna check it out.

I'm so glad you reopened this because my kids love that Disney+ show about Animal Kingdom. We all watch and actually pay attention. They would LOVE the Caring for Giants. Gonna check it out.
We love that show too!

I hope you’re able to book Caring for Giants. We just booked a last minute trip to WDW, so I’m checking frequently to see if there are any cancellations for it.

Have they ever gone to Rafiki's Planet Watch to see the veterinary procedures and actually gotten to see a vet that they'd seen on that show "live and in person"? I have-and I acted like a little kid who'd just seen a big TV star. I can't remember the vet's name, but the day I saw him on TV, he was operating on a Turtle, and he was also operating on a turtle (but a different kind of operation) the day I got to see him.

Have they ever gone to Rafiki's Planet Watch to see the veterinary procedures and actually gotten to see a vet that they'd seen on that show "live and in person"? I have-and I acted like a little kid who'd just seen a big TV star. I can't remember the vet's name, but the day I saw him on TV, he was operating on a Turtle, and he was also operating on a turtle (but a different kind of operation) the day I got to see him.
We have gone over there but nothing was happening in the procedure room. It would be amazing if it worked out!

We have gone over there but nothing was happening in the procedure room. It would be amazing if it worked out!
Nothing would be happening if you go in the afternoon. Usually the only time anything is going on is 10:00-11:30 or so in the morning. Of the many times I've gone there, I've only seen one that went past noon, and that was the one with the doctor from the Disney + show who was working on the Turtle. Apparently things were a little complicated.

I am not sure if it is still offered or not, but if the Sense of Africa tour still exists, I would recommend that one. You get to go backstage and pet an Okapi, feed ostriches and giraffes, and make treats and then hide them for the Red River Hogs (it was amazing how fast they could find them).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter