Best Way to Keep Luggage Closed?

Mark P.

DIS Veteran
Now that locks are a thing of the past, what's the best way to keep the luggage secured, but at the same time, comply with the new regulations?

Are twist-ties the best way to go?
I think I read somewhere that the airlines will be providing some type of seal. If so, have they started doing this?

I bought adjustable luggage straps on-line from a pet supply company in Canada(they also sell collars & leashes, I guess they figure the luggage straps are just a long collar!); they're woven nylon straps that snap shut & go completely around your luggage, but can be un-snapped if security needs to check. They came in many colors & the price includes stitching your name into the strap. We have black & dark green luggage, so I ordered neon yellow straps w/black block lettering. It sure made it easy to spot our luggage coming down onto the carousel @ the airports!

You can use cable ties. We got a 1000 (different sizes) of them at Costco. They are useful for having around the house. Just remember to bring some extras for your return trip home. Also make sure you have a pair of scissors to cut them open.

Where would you put the scissors? It can't be on carry-on. If you put it in the checked baggage, how do you cut off the tie?

EXCELLENT QUESTION!!

I've been using the cable ties for years for luggage - my luggage has several outside compartments, and I didn't want to buy a lock for each of 4-5 different zippers, so I used locks on the main compartments, and cable ties for the others.

To answer your question - what I do is put a pair of small scissors in the smallest of the outside compartments, and then don't secure that compartment. If the scissors get stolen (which I think is unlikely), it shouldn't be difficult to find either a pair of scissors or a knife of some kind where you are headed (at your hotel, for example).

But I"ve never had a problem - I just pull the scissors out of the unsecured compartment, and am able to open everything up.

One thing to keep in mind!!!! Don't pull the cable ties so tight that you can't get your scissors inbetween them to cut them off! I've done this before and it's HARD to get those off! Leave a small loop of the cable tie (I usually leave smaller than my pinkie), and it will be MUCH easier to get off.

Hope this helps!!

Locks a thing of the past? What is this all about? Can you no longer lock your checked luggage? We have always used small padlocks to secure our luggage, but we haven't flown since 9/11. Is this something new for security?

Unfortunately yes-it is the latest attempt by the aviation security folks to make us feel more secure when we fly. As of January 1 all checked luggage must be screened and at many of the airports, the screening machines are "behind the scenes". Your luggage will be put thru the machine and if a suspcious item appears, security will need to open your bag to inspect the contents. If the bag is locked, it will be forced open. Bags that are opened will have a notice inserted saying that your bag was inspected and then it will be resealed with some sort of special tag. Since the bag's owner will not be present, bags cannot be locked. If aviation security does have to force your bag open, they are not responsible for any damage.

This of course leads to the question of who is responsible if something is missing when you get to your destination and open your bag. The security folks claim that they have video cameras, supervisors, etc. to monitor all this. Most of the concerns raised so far have more to do with the airlines' baggage handlers having access to unlocked bags. Since this has just gone into effect, it is too soon for the feedback/fallout from the flying public on this new system.

There have been several articlesabout how to best pack your bag to protect the contents if it is opened and how to secure your suitcase so that it cannot be opened quickly by someone looking to steal, but can be opened by security without damaging the suitcase.

Needless to point out-there are a lot of unhappy passengers about this policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter