Best Way to Try to Get a Nearby Room Due to Wheelchair

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
We are headed down for our trip next week and staying at Kidani. DS14 just broke his ankle and will be in a wheelchair. Any suggestions on the best way to request a room closer to the entry in order to help facilitate things? We can make anything work, but I thought a request would be worthwhile. I'm simply not sure what the best route is to do so.

Thanks!

This might be stupid question, but what are you trying to be closer to? If you're using the buses most of the time, then closer to the lobby is best, obviously. If you drive and have your own car, you'd want to be close to one of the 4 elevator banks at Kidani that could take you to your car parked underneath at Kidani (or be close to where you park when returning to the resort and heading to your room). If you wish to do Sanaa for dinner, you'll want to be close to the lobby. In your situation, I would definitely contact Member Services (either a phone call, an online chat, or email) and make sure they know your situation and it's specifically requested with your room reservation. Your request isn't about a particular view or particular floor - it's about helping a person who needs a little extra assistance temporarily. The sooner the better. Good luck and hope you have fun.

This might be stupid question, but what are you trying to be closer to? If you're using the buses most of the time, then closer to the lobby is best, obviously. If you drive and have your own car, you'd want to be close to one of the 4 elevator banks at Kidani that could take you to your car parked underneath at Kidani (or be close to where you park when returning to the resort and heading to your room). If you wish to do Sanaa for dinner, you'll want to be close to the lobby. In your situation, I would definitely contact Member Services (either a phone call, an online chat, or email) and make sure they know your situation and it's specifically requested with your room reservation. Your request isn't about a particular view or particular floor - it's about helping a person who needs a little extra assistance temporarily. The sooner the better. Good luck and hope you have fun.
Thanks, this is actually quite helpful. I don't know if we will plan to use buses or car more (that depends on whether or not we will be successful in getting a temp handicap placard in time), but I think we are leaning towards trying to be closer to the lobby. I can always go get the car and swing around to the front for the rest of the family. We just want to make it as easy on him as possible.

The only way to make a request like this now is through chat. But if you have a car, you probably want to make the opposite request.

As an able bodied family member of a wheelchair-bound person, allow me to pitch an idea. Whill Ci. I have rented them locally myself, and I'm just a human with a credit card. Fits in any (rental) SUV with a couple able-bodied people, and boy will it be a world of difference versus someone pushing him.

If nothing else, the local mobility shop that stocks Whill will have an OVERWHELMING amount of choices. Even in the last few years, innovation in this space has been extreme.

Thanks, this is actually quite helpful. I don't know if we will plan to use buses or car more (that depends on whether or not we will be successful in getting a temp handicap placard in time), but I think we are leaning towards trying to be closer to the lobby. I can always go get the car and swing around to the front for the rest of the family. We just want to make it as easy on him as possible.
Request a room near the Timon elevator. That's the elevator bank closest to the lobby, on the side by the bus stops. See map below - the Timon elevators are the symbol next to the bus symbol. You can park in the underground garage close to that elevator, so no matter whether using your car or the bus, you'll be close to transportation and the lobby.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/DAKLMap.pdf

Just something to keep in mind - if you do get the placard, the Disney resorts will allow you to use their valet parking at no charge. It might make things more convenient for you at times, depending on your location and your plans.

For theme parks, it is sometimes better (and especially for the MK) to take Disney transport rather than drive, if the goal is to be closer to the park entrances.

For theme parks, it is sometimes better (and especially for the MK) to take Disney transport rather than drive, if the goal is to be closer to the park entrances.
Thanks, we often use buses to MK but drive to the rest (as it is more reliable). My guess is that we will do the same this time, unless we find that waiting for buses with the wheelchair becomes a hassle, in which case we will simply drive everywhere. The good news is that, as a family of 5, we have plenty of people who can take turns wheeling him around!

If his ankle is in a cast of brace, FOP is probably a no-go. He may wang the chariot at the back of the Tron train.

There’s no need to pursue a DAS for an ankle- it is not provided for mobility issues.

You can get return times for some rides where the lines don’t accommodate wheelchairs, notably the Jungle Cruise and BTMRR.

If his ankle is in a cast of brace, FOP is probably a no-go. He may wang the chariot at the back of the Tron train.

There’s no need to pursue a DAS for an ankle- it is not provided for mobility issues.

You can get return times for some rides where the lines don’t accommodate wheelchairs, notably the Jungle Cruise and BTMRR.

Yep - thanks. He knows that FOP is out, and that Tron will be the modified car. Kali River is the other that is likely a non-starter just due to the difficulty of entry and concerns of getting the cast wet. Not sure about TTA, but I think everything else he will be able to do. I have posted another thread about which rides provide return times (so that I don't waste G+ on those) and have gotten good help there. We know that DAS is not used for this purpose, but DW is going to the DMV today to try to get a temporary handicap placard to aid us in parking while there.

Historically, at least, Disney has offered “medical parking” at the theme parks. This parking is usually adjacent to disabled parking but DOES NOT require a government-issued placard (don’t park in an official disabled parking space without a placard- you don’t want a ticket!

Historically, at least, Disney has offered “medical parking” at the theme parks. This parking is usually adjacent to disabled parking but DOES NOT require a government-issued placard (don’t park in an official disabled parking space without a placard- you don’t want a ticket!
Thanks. DW and DS actually picked up the placard today, so we are all set, but the 'medical parking' option is not something I am familiar with. I'll keep an eye out when we are there to see if it seems to still be an offering.

Thanks. DW and DS actually picked up the placard today, so we are all set, but the 'medical parking' option is not something I am familiar with. I'll keep an eye out when we are there to see if it seems to still be an offering.
With the placard, you won’t need the medical parking - it’s for guests who need to park close but who don’t have placards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter