Better to book flight early or last minute??

LoDivaLoca

<font color=deeppink>Tinkerbell <font color=teal>W
This could go on either board - transportation or budget....so I choose here.

Would I get a better price booking early or wait closer to my date (in November)?

Thanks!!

Have you actually looked yet? I'm not going til June and there is nothing cheap for then, but I've found tons of cheap flights up til Christmas. I wish we had the money to go now!

I booked very early this year for my trip in a few weeks. The price for round trip tickets was less than $160.00. I just checked and the same flight is up to over $300.

So, book early. If the price of your flight is reduced after you buy the ticket, you can request a credit. The airlines will issue one easily if you have e-tickets. If you have paper tickets, you have to drive to your local airport most times to proces the credit.

Wanda

Another vote for booking early!

If you have specific dates and are not too flexible about times, definately book early. I booked early September 2000 for a July 2001 flight and got the best price for that flight. It only went up, up, up, everytime I checked after that.

If you are more flexible about the times and days you can fly, then you can afford to wait, although November isn't too far away. The latest I booked for a July flight was in February, and the tickets then were $50 more each than the price I paid this year for booking earlier.
However, I am not very flexible with my dates or times because of DH's job.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Another vote for booking early!!

We are going Feb 9 through Feb 16, 2002. I purchased our tickets on May 31(MKE to MCO) and got them for 198.00 each (there are 4 of us) If the price drops, I will try to get a voucher for the difference.

Agree! We booked our airline tickets for next May. Delta - $146.50 Keep looking, a couple times a day if you can! They come and go in one day.

OK, thanks everyone. I saw one person saw better rates later on, and I was wondering if it was better to wait. Guess not! Thanks! :)

I booked my October flight last November and because of this board I decided to check airfares and they had gone down $82 per ticket (UNITED LAX to ORLANDO) so they were very nice and are mailing me two $82 flight vouchers that are fully transferable!

I love saving money!

:)

LoDivaLoca, I bought my tickets from Continental in February for an April flight. I paid $214 round trip from Newark, NJ and then my mom and brother wanted to join us about 2 weeks before the trip and they paid over $600 for the same flights (they wouldn't go on other flights to make it cheaper). However, when we were on our flight home a woman told us that she booked her tickests just 3 days before the flights and paid $175-go figure! I realize it's safer to buy ahead, however, for my trip next April the Continental flights are all over $400 and they told me to expect discounted fares to come up later on. So, for now, I'm taking the gamble that seats will still be available knowing I may have to be flexible in times going.

One question though, could you tell me how you put that great Nightmare Before Christmas picture on your posts? I have seen lots of pics from different people and can't figure out how to do it. Thanks, Carolyn

Coincidentally that has always been booking early for me. I always book my room at WDW first. Then once I know I can get the time off from work I start watching the fares. I have a price in my mind ahead of time and once the fares go below that amount I purchase them. One time after purchasing, the fare went down by $14 and Delta sent me a credit voucher upon request. Every other time I have purchased tickets early I have seen the prices only go one way, and that was up. For my trip in May 2002 I have already purchased tickets for $158 RT. Since then, that same RT is now $183.

Good luck!!

We purchsed in May for our October 13-20 trip. I had watched the prices for several months prior to that. We paid $190 roundtrip non-stop. Today the same tickets are $118 on the website. I called and they are sending vouchers. I would do the same thing again as there are 7 of us going and I still think $190 non-stop from Kansas City is a good price.

I've yet to book our flights for Feb 2002 because the fares seemed very high (LAX to Orlando) but if it's the best I'm going to get I'll just go ahead and book now. Since we are flying on/from Australia we need to make sure we get on a plane. Just wondering how everyone gets the good rates. Any secrets?

Libby

Guess it all depends...we booked early & then have had so many schedule changes, it is driving me crazy. We originally had R/T non-stop tix Bflo to Orlando, leaving nice & early in the AM & the return flight later at night. Just found out about a schedule change that was putting us on connecting flights & getting us to Orlando in the later afternoon, then leaving early in the morning on departure day.

We ended up getting the airline to allow us to arrive a day earlier, but still have to take connecting flights to get us there (big issue with us do to DMs mobility problems). The price was good for our tix, but the changes made me pretty nervous with lots of phone calls to make to get things straightened out. So while I think planning ahead is a good idea, sometimes you might get a better deal & have less problems with changes if you wait. All depends on how flexible you are I guess.

Sorry for the rambling & HTH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter