Beverage Pkg and Excursions Pre-Pays - what if we have to cancel cruise?

gzmtlock

DIS Veteran
There is a possibility we may have to cancel our December cruise, due to my son needing surgery. (He's in college, we have to plan it for a break, and he may not be ready for the surgery at Fall break.) If I pre-book (and pay for) beverage packages and excursions, do I get that money back if I have to cancel the cruise (within the restrictions for that, of course)? Would like to take advantage of the current 20% discount for beverage packages, but not if I might lose the money if we cancel. TIA!

They refund you, of course.

But if you're talking about canceling at the last minute, read the terms of the charges. Or call royal.

Do you already have trip insurance that covers pre-existing conditions?

There is a possibility we may have to cancel our December cruise, due to my son needing surgery. (He's in college, we have to plan it for a break, and he may not be ready for the surgery at Fall break.) If I pre-book (and pay for) beverage packages and excursions, do I get that money back if I have to cancel the cruise (within the restrictions for that, of course)? Would like to take advantage of the current 20% discount for beverage packages, but not if I might lose the money if we cancel. TIA!
The penalty period (final payment date) only applies to your "non-refundable" cruise fare. Anything that you pre-purchase should be refunded in full (gratuities, packages, excursions, port fees, etc. If you have cruise insurance (not sure if your son's surgery is considered "pre-existing", which might throw a wrench in the works) through RCL and have to cancel, you will get back everything you paid except the cost of the insurance itself. Fortunately, we only had to use the insurance once, but it was for surgery, it was at the last minute, and all we lost was the price of the policy.

Thanks for the helpful info. It will not be a last-minute cancellation (at least not for this reason), if required at all. Yes, it would be considered a pre-existing condition; the surgery is to get dental implants - he was born missing 5 permanent teeth. (I think it's impossible to have something "pre-existing" for longer than that. :goodvibes ) And the process of doing the necessary adjustments pre-implants has been going on for more than a year. I did not get travel insurance this time. I usually do, not sure why I didn't, but I booked in January, so I think it's too late to be worth it now. When I've gotten insurance before, I believe it had to be purchased within 5 days or so of putting down any money towards the vacation. We're driving, not flying, and arriving a day early, so I'm not too worried about transportation delays. Medical is another matter. . .but since I'm 4+ months after making first payment, not sure there's much I can do about it now.

(I wouldn't get insurance only through RCL, as this is a "combo" vacation with some time at Universal Orlando afterwards, and would want any policy to cover the whole trip.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter