Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

My wife called and spoke to someone at Aulani. I believe it was guest relations. They told her they have not heard of this issue and would get back to us. I am sure it will be a typical Disney response. Seems not to be a pressing issue. Good thing we live in Montana and any pool is warmer than the -40 we had a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
My wife called and spoke to someone at Aulani. I believe it was guest relations. They told her they have not heard of this issue and would get back to us. I am sure it will be a typical Disney response. Seems not to be a pressing issue. Good thing we live in Montana and any pool is warmer than the -40 we had a few weeks ago.

Isn't Aulani guest relations a call center, like every other Disney resort? Of course, a call center CM wouldn't have knowledge of this issue.

You'd need to call the actual property and speak to the resort manager. Good luck getting to that specific person.

Isn't Aulani guest relations a call center, like every other Disney resort? Of course, a call center CM wouldn't have knowledge of this issue.

You'd need to call the actual property and speak to the resort manager. Good luck getting to that specific person.
Yeah we may just wait till we arrive and see if the issue is fixed. Not that we are going to change the world by any means.

I've called Aulani multiple times with questions. The phone number is easy to find when googled, unlike calling a resort directly at WDW. Make sure the area code is 808 and not 866.

I've called Aulani multiple times with questions. The phone number is easy to find when googled, unlike calling a resort directly at WDW. Make sure the area code is 808 and not 866.
That’s the number we called the 808 number.

Good to know. Then, I assume they are lying. There is NO WAY that no one has complained about this issue. Feigning ignorance isn't a good look for Disney here.

Further to my other posts above, I talked to supervisory level in DVC members services again today as I was not pleased with previous lack of concern etc. They indicated that they contacted Aulani again today and were advised that the problem with the boilers (which they confirmed again were not working properly during our stay in early Dec.) has now been fixed. Will be interesting to get onsite reports moving forward.

Further to my other posts above, I talked to supervisory level in DVC members services again today as I was not pleased with previous lack of concern etc. They indicated that they contacted Aulani again today and were advised that the problem with the boilers (which they confirmed again were not working properly during our stay in early Dec.) has now been fixed. Will be interesting to get onsite reports moving forward.
I will be there in 10 days and will post an update thermometer is packed in the backpack already. Stay tuned…

This was one of the issues Of concern I raised with member services I.e. lack of transparency from guest services at hotel. They knew there was an issue as they admitted they had received complaints but the tried to brush off by saying that lazy river was set for 82 degrees and that is what it should be. They said they would check with recreation but never got back to me which is why I made more inquiries after I returned home.

but captain America here has reliably informed us AUL doesn’t have boilers 😅😅

If that's true, it’s a really poorly designed system then.... Under that system the months that you need the most heating, when its cold, would be the months that AC system isn't working as hard and, therefore, has less waste heat so the pools remain cold (which was the case last week). Conversely, in hotter periods, when the pool is heated atmospherically, you have less need for the waste heat.
This is such a good point. I wonder if their system is “working” (as in not broken) just ill conceived and not fit for purpose - meaning on the coldest days the pool will not be heated properly.

You would like to think there would be a secondary heating process for cold periods. But if they don’t, it would make sense why they are being so evasive about the issue.

Good to know. Then, I assume they are lying. There is NO WAY that no one has complained about this issue. Feigning ignorance isn't a good look for Disney here.
IDK. I think I prefer that to “in response to guest demand..” 😂😂😂 At least TRY to blow sone sunshine up my skirt LOL

Wouldn't the cost of repairs for this be passed on through the DVC dues? Or would some of it still be Disney's bill?

Wouldn't the cost of repairs for this be passed on through the DVC dues? Or would some of it still be Disney's bill?
I would assume it’s a split with the hotel side? I also wonder if because it’s not fully sold they are responsible for the % of the dues for the unsold portion.

Who knows though.

The repair should already be part of the DVC dues. Dues should not go up because a boiler needs repaired. Do the dues go up if they have to replace an A/C unit? they should be saving part of your dues for repairs.

but captain America here has reliably informed us AUL doesn’t have boilers 😅😅
They don't, and I assure you I know better than some DVC manager in the call center that @PetePanMan talked to. There are no "boilers." That isn't a thing.

Now maybe there's a problem with the heat exchangers. That seems likely. Heat exchangers aren't boilers. It certainly sounds like something is broken that needs fixing. My pushback was on the grand conspiracy theory that Disney deliberately shut the heaters off on purpose to save on their electricity bill or some such nonsense.

The repair should already be part of the DVC dues. Dues should not go up because a boiler needs repaired. Do the dues go up if they have to replace an A/C unit? they should be saving part of your dues for repairs.
Yes, past and current dues fund estimated repairs. But if actual repairs exceed estimated repairs, then future dues go up to cover it. Also, people need to stop talking about Aulani as if it's an entirely-DVC property.

I would assume it’s a split with the hotel side?
That is correct.

Last edited:
Attention Captain or anyone else interested. I would be willing to bet a large chunk of DVC points they use boilers to supplement the waste heat reclamation process used in the resorts cooling towers. No half assed HVAC engineer would ever design a system without redundancies/backups for when equipment fails.

PS I propose a trip to Aulani funded by the donation of DVC points from all interested disboard members for a fact finding mission by myself and the Captain. We will get to the bottom of this Very Cold Lazy River mystery we all find ourselves embroiled in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter