Bicycle rentals at HHI

walter

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at DVC/HHI in a couple of weeks and some people were telling us it is cheaper to rent bikes other than at the DVC resort. Any help (including costs) would be appreciated.

The rental cost at HH is $25 for each of the first two bikes, and $10 for each additional bike. The bikes for our family of 5 costs us $80 for our stay. The first year they were out of bikes and we had to get them at another place, it was years ago, and I do not remember the cost. It is very convenient to get them right there at the resort.

There are A LOT of bike rental places at HH. When you first get to the island stop at the visitor's center(over the bridge on the right) or any place that has the tourist books. They always have a coupon in there. You can call the place you choose and they will bring the bike right to your door and pick it up from the bike rack when you leave.

Our family of 4 paid $80 for length of stay. We just got back yesterday. I am sure it's probably cheaper somewhere else on HHI, but figure the inconvenience of getting the bikes and/or vehicle back to the resort once you rent; not to mention the great inconvenience if, God forbid, you get a "lemon", have a combination lock problem, etc. I considered this one of the great buys of our vacation, as we rode them every day to and from the beach-and they were in great shape.

walter said:
We will be staying at DVC/HHI in a couple of weeks and some people were telling us it is cheaper to rent bikes other than at the DVC resort. Any help (including costs) would be appreciated.

On one visit we were forced to rent bikes because the resort was at capacity and we weren't able to get what we needed. We called Palmetto Bike Barn and they picked up and delivered. Service was good, no problems. We had a coupon deal but it wasn't really any cheaper if I remember and the bikes definitely were not as nice as Disneys. (They were okay, though.) For the 50$ for two bikes length of stay at Disney the helmets, baskets, locks are all included.

2 weeks ago, we asked to rent bikes and we just wanted to go for a 2 hour bike ride. They said go ahead jsut take them and didn't charge us. It was off season though, and very quiet there. Nancy

I am interested to know if anyone has a bike route they could recommend while at DVC HH.

Our dd isn't the strongest kid--so I'm wondering about a route in the neighbourhood of an hour or so and not too hilly or too much traffic.

Also, can the DVC rentals be ridden on the beach?

Thanks.

The DVC rentals can be ridden at the beach during low tide. Just be careful, if you have the wind at your back for the first half, the trip back is much harder! The ride over to the beach house is a very easy, non-hilly route. We have done it with our kids for years. And the neighborhood by the beach house is nice to ride around. Quiet, flat streets. We have done that a few times over the years also.

Thanks VMS--that's just the kind of info I was looking for!

Do bike rentals come with helmets? or is it bring your own?

Mary

Hilton Head is just off of being flat as a pancake. I'd almost go as far as to say there are no hills on it...maybe a gentle grade here or there.

I saw a place down by Coligny Beach that had bikes for $15... I had already paid $25 for mine...however it was easy to return the bike when it was time to do so. When I do this again I'll ride around a bit looking for bikes in the best shape and rent from that location. Bikes in condition and price appear to have no relationship to one another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter