Big Bear Lake

gatorfreud

DIS Veteran
Hey all: Anyone been to Big Bear Lake in SoCal? We are hoping to do DLR Dec. 19-23 then spend Xmas in the mountains.

We are hoping to stay somewhere that has at least one bedroom and a living room since we will be there for Xmas. Ideas?

Any opinions on skiing there? What else to do since I doubt it will be super snow-y?

How is the driving to get there? We'll have chains obviously.

Thanks!

Kim :)

I live just down the mountain from Big Bear but i've only been up there a couple of times so I'm not sure if I will be much help but I'll try. If you're looking for other things to do besides skiing, there is a sledding place called Alpine Slide. Like the ski resorts, they make their own snow when not enough "real" snow has fallen. Big Bear also has a cute little downtown-type area with shops and restaurants. I believe there are also boat tours of the lake and there are snowshoe tours. There's also Lake Arrowhead which is another mountain resort area similar to Big Bear. It's the next mountain over but not too far of a drive. They also have little shops and restaurants.

Sorry I can't answer any of your other questions. Hope you have a great trip!

You can Google "Big Bear + Lodging" and see what is available. I have rented cabins up there twice, although it's been a few years. My sister in law & family go up every year and stay at different cabins that are available. The town has a very nice grocery store, movie theater, bowling alley. There is a main ski area that is right there, and another one just before you reach Big Bear. They also have a small zoo that we have enjoyed visiting while there.

The road up to Big Bear is very well maintained. It takes me about 2 hours to get there from my home, and will probably take you 1-1/2 hours with good traffic. Having chains at this time of year is a must, since it might snow while you are up there.

Have a great time!

If you have a vehicle with 4WD and high ground clearance, there are a lot of great back-country roads to explore with wonderful views and lots of interesting stops. Check in at the Big Bear Visitors center for maps as well as other fun ideas.

I tried to post a link to the visitors center site but the forum mods have a 10 post requirement in effect. :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter