• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Mouser is Coming

Originally posted by HorizonsFan

The process of being identified by a computer is pretty simple. Much like the Mobil Speedpass, you can carry a unique identifier in your room key or pass. The computer could scan the identifier and locate your information in a database. The difficult part is getting that information back to a cast member in a usable form in a very short amount of time or (even more resource intensive) to a wireless device. The logistics are staggering. What happens when a group of 10 people walks into a shop at the same time? Who's information comes up first? How does the castmember match what's on the screen to one of the 10 people who just walked in? How many of you have walked through the shops on Main Street to avoid the crowd or to enjoy the AC? If the database is busy recording what Joe Punchclock just bought, does it have enough resources to scan you and return your information before you move to the next shop?
The gathering of information about us can allow Disney to target us for mail, phone or internet marketing but it's highly doubtful that with the technology they posess right now that they can use that information instantly at the parks.
JMO...

I think the technology can handle it just fine- but not sure the humans can (if t=you think the guy in the store is going to have to know about all 10 people at once..). Take the toll tag systems for example- say you go to the George washington bridge between NY and NJ- they have maybe 25 or 35 booths taking ezpass at the same time- I can drive through there at 15mph when its not totally congested (used to be more like 30 mph before they got picky...) and inthe split second that i'm driving through the booth it can read the tag call down to the ezpass data center in Deleware where the database is checked to see if my account is valid, and send back a message to the tool booth that i'm ok, not ok, need to call the customer service center, or have a low balance. Supposedly it works fine up to like 50, 60 , or even 70mph. So i think if they set the scanner up in a doorway it could easily read tens if not hundreds of tags at once as people enter and leave the building. I doubt the salesperson would know what to do with all that info though, so more likely they would just hava a reader right at the checkout to help them 'suggestive sell'. THe fast food joints alreday have registers that say "suggest fries. or suggest a drink, etc."- so they could just say - Hi Mr. Voice did you find everything you wanted today? Did you see our new display of thingies in the corner (where the computer realized Mr. Voice bought alot of thingies last visit).

I'm excited by the prospect that they know what rides,shops, etc. that i spend time in- right now they try to make suggestions for you- but you have to anser a series of questions when you make your reservations. It's somewhat annoying wasting my time polling me and since it probably annoys many they only ask a few questions and judge my likes from that.

and inthe split second that i'm driving through the booth it can read the tag call down to the ezpass data center in Deleware where the database is checked to see if my account is valid, and send back a message to the tool booth that i'm ok, not ok, need to call the customer service center, or have a low balance.
All of the information that needs to be returned from your toll tag scan is yes or no. Either you're ok or you're not.
The information needed to personalize service and make suggestive selling based on previous sales would take many times more bandwidth than a simple yes or no.
I agree that even if the information were available, it would unusable due to the amount of people present in a given store and the constant change from store to store. I suppose a CM could point a hand-held at you and get your specific info but how "personal" is that?
The gathering of information via a chip in the pass is very do-able and could be very useful in suggestive selling by direct mail.

I've talked about this kind of system for at least a year on this board (why people are touting when they started coming up with these Ideas I don't know)

I don't think the system will work well on a CM to many guests basis. the info would be best utilized by CMs that are with you 1 on 1.
In the case of having a Hand held or portable device. CM interaction is minimal. When I was still in college, the Computer system could create a valid Course schedule and make sure all the classes didnt't overlap and such with ease. This would be essentially the same thing. The Idea that I can make PS and fast passes on the fly is intriguing as well. it would be a most excellent tool. As long as the Sell, even hard sell is implemented well.
If the Advertisments and suggestions start to hinder my use of the system, then the system will fail.

This is also clearly a system for the person that doesn't do a lot of preplanning.
If you have your trip planned out before you arrive down to nearly every detail, then this is useless to both you and Disney. Aside from statistics gathering.

So, I can see this as a very good thing.

Disney explained what this is at the share holders meeting in Hartford Ct.

At this time Disney is tring to be "pro-active" in marketing. Say you went to the disney store (if the one near you didn't close down yet) and you used your Disney Club Card to get your 10% discount on a Peter Pan DVD.

So you watch the movie and say "boy that Peter sure is great."

Now the next Disney mailer you get could be for the DCL, Disney Store or a Disney Vacation and guess what character is on the cover? Peter Pan!

So you book you WDW vacation and your talking to the operator, or your travel agent is, and they suggest a characterr dinner that has Peter Pan at it. You get it now right? They what to market directly to you. If you buy a DVD, They won't send you discout promotions for VHS tapes

The goal of the program is to use a special connection between the customer and the Disney Corp.

If you respond to Peter over Goofy, and if Peter brings a smile to your face. Then that is what they what to do.

Keep in mind that they have been doing similar things all along. If you order the WDW video they will ask you questions like, will you be traveling with children? If you answer yes then you will get a different video then someone who is not traveling with children.

Although the PDA thing sounds do-able, I agree that it is a bit impractical to suggest guests will have them with them durring their entire vacation. Also, if Mr. Smith has the Palm Pilot, How would they know when Mrs. Smith entered the spa? Each member of the party would have to have one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter