• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Boardwalk v. Beach Club Throwdown!

I have had several guest state to me over the years the DVC rooms are a little dated. This happened recently at Vero Beach from a man and his wife that were on an RCI Exchange. One thing I told him was that most of the DVC resorts were based of a place and time period. OKW is modeled after Key West from years past and the same is true for Vero Beach. So the rooms might be considered dated if you are not into the whole theme thing. If that is the case stay at BLT, it is very modern and a very little Disney flavor. I also noticed that they were upgrading certain things in the rooms when i was at Vero Beach. The lady told me that this upgrades are always slow due to high occupancy.

Renters have one huge advantage, you can find an owner at the resort, with, if you plan far enough in advance, should be doable.

And the thing about rooms is that - well, we own it - you are indirectly insulting the owners - especially when you imply that you, with your superior taste, wouldn't buy under the circumstances. Its good enough for you to RENT, but god forbid, you wouldn't own something so ill maintained. If you don't like it, don't stay there, we won't miss you. Or at least follow the instructions of your mother "if you can't say anything nice." Most of us here are owners, and while we insult each others taste in resorts all the time, we tend to get a little prickly when renters (who many of us aren't all that comfortable with to start with - you are going to book a high demand room before the seven month window and some owner from SSR or VAKL or BLT isn't going to be able to trade in, it leaves an understandably bad taste in some mouths) insult them.

Wow. I'm sorry if you truly thought I was trying to insult you. I have a hard time understanding how you got from what I actually said to thinking I was trying to insult your taste, but since I guess you did, I'm sorry. That said, I think a lot of what you said up there to me was unfair. I don't think the lack of upgrades is a reflection on any owners taste, I think it's a reflection of Disney's priorities, and I wish (as I do in other things Disney, but they certainly don't ask me) those priorities were different for DVC. I in no way meant it to mean: "Wow, you guys are suckers for wasting your money on crappy rooms!" Please reread what I typed in previous posts in a more generous light if you have a chance. And please don't hate on us renters just because we're renters. We get it, we aren't "one of you".

(And thanks for the backup, Gilly.)

Anyway, moving right along back to the topic at hand. If you have anything else to say about it Crisi, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to talk to you about it privately.

I prefer standard room at BWV because it's points savings over BCV room.
Other than that convenience everything is pretty equal.

That's kinda what I'm feeling too. I think I would actually prefer a canal room to a Boardwalk view anyway, so the fact that the Villas aren't Boardwalk view doesn't bother me. All things considered, after reading the opinions here, I'm definitely leaning towards Boardwalk.... Super helpful!

:banana:

Wow. I'm sorry if you truly thought I was trying to insult you. I have a hard time understanding how you got from what I actually said to thinking I was trying to insult your taste, but since I guess you did, I'm sorry. That said, I think a lot of what you said up there to me was unfair. I don't think the lack of upgrades is a reflection on any owners taste, I think it's a reflection of Disney's priorities, and I wish (as I do in other things Disney, but they certainly don't ask me) those priorities were different for DVC. I in no way meant it to mean: "Wow, you guys are suckers for wasting your money on crappy rooms!" Please reread what I typed in previous posts in a more generous light if you have a chance. And please don't hate on us renters just because we're renters. We get it, we aren't "one of you".

Anyway, moving right along back to the topic at hand. If you have anything else to say about it Crisi, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to talk to you about it privately.

You didn't, I was just trying to let you know that you were starting to go a place where you weren't going to get a warm reception. I don't have a thin skin myself about such things, and I have rented points from a member (for next Summer, I NEEEDED HHI and that is how to play the game) and rented my points out (BW Standard View during F&W) to pay for it.

You didn't, I was just trying to let you know that you were starting to go a place where you weren't going to get a warm reception. I don't have a thin skin myself about such things, and I have rented points from a member (for next Summer, I NEEEDED HHI and that is how to play the game) and rented my points out (BW Standard View during F&W) to pay for it.

Well, glad you weren't insulted then. For the most part, I've felt a warm reception around these parts, and I'm thankful that most on the DVC boards don't seem to look down on us renters. I loved being able to rent and I'm glad that the person I was able to rent from got to go on a great Disney cruise because of it. As you say, it's how it goes.

and since your kids are really little - Beach Club. I like the Boardwalk better, its home and its a more grown up place with my teenagers. And we like busy. but with a little one, bcv

... I don't think the lack of upgrades is a reflection on any owners taste, I think it's a reflection of Disney's priorities, and I wish (as I do in other things Disney, but they certainly don't ask me) those priorities were different for DVC. ....

I think you still don't understand the concept of member dues. DVC manages the properties and bases renovations on the funds available for renovations from member dues, not on Disney's priorities. I seriously doubt there is a member out there who would want their dues doubled so a non-member wouldn't be disappointed in the decor in the villa and have DVC renovate more frequently. I just wish we had a say in what they did during renovation.

I think you still don't understand the concept of member dues. DVC manages the properties and bases renovations on the funds available for renovations from member dues, not on Disney's priorities. I seriously doubt there is a member out there who would want their dues doubled so a non-member wouldn't be disappointed in the decor in the villa and have DVC renovate more frequently. I just wish we had a say in what they did during renovation.

If this thread were titled "Please help me understand DVC member dues and renovations", then your post might apply. But I'm actually just wanting opinions on Boardwalk vs. Beach Club. You're definitely right - I probably don't understand it all very well. But I'm okay with that. I certainly didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a twist over dues and renovations. Please go back and read what I *actually* said. It was a very small personal preference statement that somehow got blown out of proportion entirely (granted, by a small minority).

Beach Club.

Boardwalk.

That's all.

Moving right along.

:moped:

I own at BWV but I also enjoy staying at BCV. Which do I prefer? Hard to say. Probably BWV. I don't find it overly 'busy'...the inside of the resort isn't all that busy. It's probably actually less busy than the lobby at BC due to BC having Cape May right there.
I do like the Marketplace at BCV, but now that the Boardwalk Bakery has been changed, I don't mind not having the Marketplace as much.
I find BC to be lighter and airier! It's a nice relaxing resort. BW is more formal but still a ton of fun.
The pools? I'm not a huge fan of SAB..it's just too big and overcrowded (most of the time anyway) for me. I much prefer Luna Park. The splash area for little ones really looks cute.
Yes, they all can have rooms with dings and dents. As long as the 'damage' isn't overwhelming, I don't mind much. I have only had one less than acceptable villa...that was at SSR. It was really in need of rehab. But, that's another story.

we find BCV less relaxing. SAB gets very crowded (actual swimming is difficult, having to stalk lounge chairs), and the lobby very busy & noisy. the resort is beautiful, but we find it more geared toward families with young children, who don't mind the constant noise (including in the middle of the night).

while the BW itself is busy a night, the lobby & resort itself is very quiet (we have never been awakened during the night there, even tho we usually stay BW view). no sure if BWV rooms are better soundproofed, or there is simply less noise :confused3

parking is closer at the BCV, views better at the BWV.

just our preference (we own at both), but the myriad of both active and quiet options make the BWVs our favorite :lovestruc

Good points about the business of the BCV pool....I hadn't really considered that, and I definitely do not like stalking lounge chairs.

The activity at night is one of the appeals of BWV to me...I like having stuff to do that isn't far from my room, especially if we have a sitter (this past year being my parents, but I'd have used Kids Nite Out as well). I'd heard similar things about how the BWV rooms were actually much quieter than one would expect, glad to hear that.

Come on guys- you know her intentions were not to insult so why be so offended? You may not like renting but it has helped A LOT of owners out when they are financially in a pinch as well as owners not being able to use a reservation and losing out.

You might notice the number of posts and number of years many have been on these boards. I am a newbie with a mere 6K+ posts and a mere 7 years as a member. So, you probably can't imagine how many times over so many years one sees this happen when a renter joins our online community and immediately shares their dislikes, dissappointments, nit-noid critiques, like it is some sort of sticker shock... Like we're being enlightened as to what is wrong with what we bought, and why they wouldn't buy into this. Seriously, find a Wyndham board and post it there if you want happy responses. I think most of our members do our best to explain how "these aren't hotels", but it gets old, and sometimes we get cranky when we try to enlighten those who are trying to enlighten us... yet again. Sorry, it just is what it is....

Whew! You've had a lot to say! Wonder how many posts I have in 7 years?!?!

I do believe you offered your own opinions on your experience with DVC having nothing to do with BCV or BWV... That is what opened the box. You can title a thread anything you want, but if you have an opinion that goes beyond the title, expect others to respond to you on the DISboards.

I did go back and read what you *actually* said. Here is what you must understand stands out to the DVC owner

• not a huge fan of the decor in the DVC of each...though I like the Boardwalk Inn room decor a lot more...I wish they'd update DVC more!) and never understood why they are so well-loved

• But for what DVC buyers pay, I think they deserve more updates, honestly. I was a little surprised to see the number of dings and dents and chips around the VWL room we were in.

• in comparison to the regular rooms, they were looking dated.

• I find that is often the case in DVC rooms...they look like they are stuck in the 90s

• that's probably the number one reason I'm less inclined to buy into DVC

• though I have a hard time imagining most of what you list isn't fairly well covered with normal, non-DVC stays for Disney). I just don't have to like it.

• I don't think the lack of upgrades is a reflection on any owners taste, I think it's a reflection of Disney's priorities

• I think it's a reflection of Disney's priorities, and I wish (as I do in other things Disney, but they certainly don't ask me) those priorities were different for DVC

• And please don't hate on us renters just because we're renters. We get it, we aren't "one of you".

• If this thread were titled "Please help me understand DVC member dues and renovations", then your post might apply.

• Please go back and read what I *actually* said. It was a very small personal preference statement that somehow got blown out of proportion entirely (granted, by a small minority).

• If you have anything else to say about it Crisi, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to talk to you about it privately.

Something to understand… No long standing member on these DISboards considers Crisi or Deb to be a small minority, not even individually. That is a good one to remember. Oh, and good luck with directing Crisi to message you privately if she has something else to say.

Also understand, I'm not trying to give you a hard time... I’m just trying to help you understand the community you are dealing with, and how we might not like some of the things you have said or in the timing, or inexperience. For us it is Deja vu... x10, or x100 for some.

That said BCV in my opinion is the kid's resort with the slide and lazy river, (though inherantly more dangerous) and (requires much parental awareness). BWV is the adult's resort with the boardwalk (sort of a marti-gras atmosphere) and pubs on the boardwalk, etc. I can't pick for you, but that is the main difference I see between the two.

Take care :)

Whew! You've had a lot to say! Wonder how many posts I have in 7 years?!?!

Hah! I am nothing... of my friends, some have 10, 20, 30 ,40, 50 thousand posts. Thanks for making me smile :) Keep posting my friend and we will see what 7 years brings.

Good thoughts, for sure. Our only kid is currently 6 months, so he'll still be too young next year to really take to the pool. We'd probably either leave him with grandparents (if they decide to come with us again) or take turns doing the pool solo. We don't usually spend much time at the pool anyway, even before kids. And we're shooting for early or mid-November, so it's not exactly high swim season...

If you are not big pool people, then I would choose BWV hands down. The main appeal IMO to BCV is the pool. That is why I own there. However, I love BWV for non-pool times. BW view is amazing. There is a lot to do on the BW- restaurants, Jellyrolls, & nightly entertainment.

BWV is our favorite. Love the feel of the whole resort. It's a short walk to both Hollywood Studios and to Epcot. Nightly free entertainment on the Boardwalk (jugglers/magicians). Jellyrolls for the adults! The Community Hall. Luna Park Pool--I like the Keister Coaster slide--fun theme.

We stayed at BCV in April. Villas are tucked behind the Beach club...so you're not that close to everything. Yes, the walk to Epcot is short, but the walk to Hollywood Studios was twice as long as from the Boardwalk...more like 25-30 minute walk vs the 15 minutes from Boardwalk. SAB--once the lifeguards are gone, the pool is closed...that was happening at 8PM. The villa pool was fine at night...but we were hoping to go to SAB one night. I did like the movies on the beach, and liked sitting on the swings by the beach.

We've stayed at BC in a regular hotel room and enjoyed the resort, but that stay did not inspire me to want to own at BCV. I was sort of hoping it would, but it didn't. The parking at BCV is more convenient than at some of the other resorts, and SAB is unique, but that's about it for pros in my opinion. In all fairness, I did not stay in a DVC villa, but I did check out the DVC building from the outside, and staying at the BC hotel let us experience the feel of the resort.

Next month we are staying at BWV for the first time. I am already dreading the parking, however we will spend most of our time at DHS and EP, so not really much of a problem this trip. I'm curious to see what my kids think of the pool at BWV. I think they were 11, 9 and 7 when we went to SAB. They enjoyed it, but we have since been to Typhoon Lagoon and a water park near where we live, so I don't think they would like it much more than the other DVC pools at this point.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either choice. I'd probably go with BCV with infants/toddlers and BWV for adults only or with tweens/teens. Elementary school age at SAB can be tough if you are wanting to relax in a lounge chair - hard to keep track of kids from one spot and you probably don't want them on their own at that age. Some portions of SAB are deep, like the lazy river. The other thing I didn't like about BCV is that it appeared you had to go through the BC lobby to get to SAB...someone please correct me if I am wrong about that.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Sorry to sort of jump in, but I was thinking of trying to get BCV next year, we own at AK so have to wait until the 7 month window, is the car park along way and are the 1 bed rooms much smaller than AK villa :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter