Boeing 737ER Door Plugs

LadyBeBop

DIS Veteran
Should I be concerned?

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/22/1226093503/boeing-plane-faa-door-plugs-737-900

Looks like the door plugs of the Boeing 737-900ER are similar to the Boeing 737-9 Max, the plane that had the door blown off.

I’m flying a Boeing 737-900ER this Saturday. CVG to ATL. This is the first leg of a much awaited vacation to Hawaii. Delta Airlines. First flight in the day.

Delta stated they did not expect any disruption to service. Of course, I have my doubts. I checked the last flight out of CVG to ATL on Friday, and that’s also on a Boeing 737-900ER

Do you trust Delta? I'd assume so or you wouldn't be flying them. The FAA is recommending airlines check the door plugs. Either you trust Delta to listen to the FAA or you don't.

Just MO of course.

Sure, I trust Delta. My question is: do I trust the situation enough that there wouldn’t be a complete ground stop, late this week?

I wouldn't have any issues flying on it. I might make it a point to sit a bit away from that row if at all possible.

It is the 9Max that had the door plugs (not all) The ER is lower line plane and purchased used by Delta which makes them older planes the 9Max are new planes the former was the 8max from 21-22. Delta has 0 9Max United and Alaska and some smaller air carriers have them United by far having the most.

I will add that plane has no door plugs it is not to be rude a budget aircraft that was made to fit more people the max’s that have the door plugs do not fly at the max rating for number of passengers which is why the door plugs were used as they exit doors were not require. In other words the max with plug will have more leg room larger seats and overhead space. So in this case rest assured space will tight but there are no door plugs……

It is the 9Max that had the door plugs (not all) The ER is lower line plane and purchased used by Delta which makes them older planes the 9Max are new planes the former was the 8max from 21-22. Delta has 0 9Max United and Alaska and some smaller air carriers have them United by far having the most.
This is entirely incorrect.

The 900ER and the 9-Max both have door plugs because they both share the same fuselage. The 900ER was last produced in 2019 and replaced by the MAX. However the door plug was introduced in 2007.

OP you have nothing to worry about. Any 900ER flying is almost 5 years old at this point and would already have gone through at least one C check (heightened maintenance) in it's life. Delta has already checked their entire fleet and found nothing. The quality control issues are only on the newer Max from the last few months and airlines have already checked those.

Actually, I wasn't worried about the plane itself. As Yellowjj said, they've been in the air for almost five years without a problem. I'm sure they're fine.

I was just worried about the FAA issuing a ground stoppage like they did with the 9Max.

However, I did take a look at our seats....ugh, they are the seats just in front of the wing. That's the seats with the plugs. Right?

However, I did take a look at our seats....ugh, they are the seats just in front of the wing. That's the seats with the plugs. Right?
Not my understanding. The one that blew out was definitely behind the wing...
1910724260-@@-1200.webp

I wouldn't anticipate plugs being put just in front of the wing, but the overwing exits would be immediately behind them (within a couple of rows).

Actually, I wasn't worried about the plane itself. As Yellowjj said, they've been in the air for almost five years without a problem. I'm sure they're fine.

I was just worried about the FAA issuing a ground stoppage like they did with the 9Max.

The FAA told the airlines to do a quick torque check on the bolts on those plugs to verify and they are good.

The plugs are about halfway between the wings and the rear exit doors. I believe it's row 30 on all United planes, but Delta it's somewhat variable.

I don't see it being any different than traveling any other day. Welcome to traveling, anything can and does happen and travel plans go south so, so fast. Are you going to like cancel your whole trip because you're worried about a travel disruption? That seems extreme...

I don't see it being any different than traveling any other day. Welcome to traveling, anything can and does happen and travel plans go south so, so fast. Are you going to like cancel your whole trip because you're worried about a travel disruption? That seems extreme...
I was assuming if they were that concerned they would at minimum change seats on the same plane, or if more concerned, change flights to a different aircraft.

Not my understanding. The one that blew out was definitely behind the wing...
1910724260-@@-1200.webp

I wouldn't anticipate plugs being put just in front of the wing, but the overwing exits would be immediately behind them (within a couple of r

I was assuming if they were that concerned they would at minimum change seats on the same plane, or if more concerned, change flights to a different aircraft.
I’m not going to let the very small potential of a couple of loose nuts ruin my bucket trip vacation.

You mentioned changing seats. Last night, we actually changed our seats on our ATL/HNL flight. We were in middle seats towards the front. Now, we’re aisle/window seats in the second to last row.

Where would y’all rather be? Front, but in the middle or back in aisle/window seats?

Less than 12 hours before leaving. I think this is real. No. Can’t jinx myself. Last time I thought something like this the night before a big vacation, our flight got cancelled.

I'll just add, since OP is going to Hawaii, that I live in Hawaii and travel frequently to the mainland and fly exclusively on Alaska (the plane with the door plug blow-out). I've only ever flown in a 737-max 9 on that route. It did give me pause for a very slight minute whether to continue with my trip for next minute but now that FAA has cleared them to be back in service, I'm ok flying Alaska and whatever plane is on my route. I do get anxious whenever I fly from Hawaii-mainland and vice versa just because if something does go wrong, your pretty much SOL if your over the middle of the pacific. But there really isn't anything other than not fly, which is not an option 😁

Watch Downfall on Netflix. It will tell you how much you should trust the FAA and Boeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter