Bone Broth

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
Not sure how it tastes but has anyone ever made it home-made?

I've read that it is very good for you!

We never called it bone broth, but my mom used to boil bones and connective tissue to make soup stock.
Just thinking about the controversy over "pink slime" 10 years ago. Basically pink slime is the connective tissue cooked down into a paste to add to meat products to boost the protein and lower the fat. Wonder why bone broth is acceptable and pink slime wasn't.

Seems like only recently has 'bone broth' become a popular cooking term. Usually the choices in the store are either stock or broth. One is made using bones (stock) while the other isn't (broth).

1679107709915.png

All the time- chicken or turkey.

Add bones to large pot, add an onion, celery, carrots(great way to clean out the vegetable bin), bay leaf, garlic, Italian seasonings- fresh or dried herbs like rosemary, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, and about a tablespoon of vinegar. Cover all with water. Boil, then simmer as long as you can. I simmer from 6 hours to 10 hours adding water as needed to cover and stirring occasionally. Strain out bones and vegetables. Put in jars. Label and freeze.

I use it in soups, dumplings, etc.

Whenever we buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store no part of it goes to waste. I boil the bones wrapped in cheese cloth so I don’t have to strain it to make a stock. The bones become very soft and I throw whatever is left in the cheese cloth after making the stock in my vitamix blender with a bit of the broth and blend it on super high speed and it makes it look similar to chicken baby food, there are absolutely no bone shards left they are completely pulverized. I pour that into a glass dish and refrigerate it and because of all the collagen it sets jello like and I slice it up and give it to my dogs as a treat on top of their dry food.

You may find this odd about me but I LOVE broth especially beef broth and I don't know why broth is my favorite soup but if you give me a bowl of beef broth I would drink the whole bowl and ask for seconds and it would make me content as a comfort food. I even drink the broth from my ramen bowl as well because it's so delicious. And did you know that in Korea they say that if you eat broth or soup on New Year's Eve you will become very smart and age gracefully in the year. I adore chicken soup and ramen but give me beef broth and i'll be a happy camper

I have found that my Instant Pot works great to make bone broth, stock, etc. It comes out richer than it ever did when I made it on the stove. I just throw a ton of bones, veggie scraps, and spices in. Cover with water and set it for like two hours. Comes out great every time and I don’t have worry about cooking it all day.

We never called it bone broth, but my mom used to boil bones and connective tissue to make soup stock.
Just thinking about the controversy over "pink slime" 10 years ago. Basically pink slime is the connective tissue cooked down into a paste to add to meat products to boost the protein and lower the fat. Wonder why bone broth is acceptable and pink slime wasn't.
Did your mom ever use ammonia to make that broth? I don't think she did. And now you know why.

The problem with the pink slime was the ammonia used in the process. And the industry knew it would be a problem, which is why their lobbyists fought tooth and nail (successfully) not to have to put it on their label. All it would have took was 30 seconds of your time to look that up and you would have known why there isn't any controversy about home made bone broth whereas there was with pink slime.

The problem with the pink slime was the ammonia used in the process. And the industry knew it would be a problem, which is why their lobbyists fought tooth and nail (successfully) not to have to put it on their label. All it would have took was 30 seconds of your time to look that up and you would have known why there isn't any controversy about home made bone broth whereas there was with pink slime.
And 30 seconds of your time would have found the FDA later ruled ammonia gas was not an issue and that ABC News had to pay a settlement to BPI for saying it was.

HOWEVER, we all know that GRAS (generally regarded as safe) can change. I took two blood pressure medicines that are GRAS to keep me healthy but they ended up harming my kidneys. Go figure.

I make it all the time using leftover chicken bones (from the freezer--the bones go there until I have enough). I just call it chicken stock, though.) The gold is when I have too much and boil it down to be super concentrated--that stuff is delicious.

:goodvibes Whenever we buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store no part of it goes to waste. I boil the bones wrapped in cheese cloth so I don’t have to strain it to make a stock. The bones become very soft and I throw whatever is left in the cheese cloth after making the stock in my vitamix blender with a bit of the broth and blend it on super high speed and it makes it look similar to chicken baby food, there are absolutely no bone shards left they are completely pulverized. I pour that into a glass dish and refrigerate it and because of all the collagen it sets jello like and I slice it up and give it to my dogs as a treat on top of their dry food.
That's pretty impressive!

I make it all the time using leftover chicken bones (from the freezer--the bones go there until I have enough). I just call it chicken stock, though.) The gold is when I have too much and boil it down to be super concentrated--that stuff is delicious.
There is a difference between broth, bone broth, and stock.

There is a difference between broth, bone broth, and stock.
Broth is different from stock, but home cooked stock and bone broth are basically the same. Sure, there may be stocks that haven't been cooked long enough to be called bone broth, but if you cook it a long time, it's just the health industry name for something that already existed in the culinary world.

This is an ad for that company's bone broth. I do agree that if you're buying premade broth, stock, or bone broth at the store, the one that means it's more likely you're getting a traditionally cooked product is bone broth, and you will pay more for it. It's probably worth it because most store bought stock is pretty low quality and as that article points out, seasoned to make it taste more meaty than it is. But if you're making it at home, stock and bone broth are the same thing. For example, the website tries to argue that stock has more sodium in it. That's only because they're comparing it to a higher sodium competitor. And they say that bone broth is like gelatin, but I would argue so is regular stock if you make it right.

Edit: Sorry if this is argumentative. I guess in fewer words, I think the distinction between stock and bone broth doesn't exist at home, but absolutely does for commercial products. Because if you buy premade bone broth, you're buying stock. If you buy premade stock, you're buying some liquid stuff with flavorings in it to make it taste like stock.

Last edited:
Broth is different from stock, but home cooked stock and bone broth are basically the same. Sure, there may be stocks that haven't been cooked long enough to be called bone broth, but if you cook it a long time, it's just the health industry name for something that already existed in the culinary world.

This is an ad for that company's bone broth. I do agree that if you're buying premade broth, stock, or bone broth at the store, the one that means it's more likely you're getting a traditionally cooked product is bone broth, and you will pay more for it. It's probably worth it because most store bought stock is pretty low quality and as that article points out, seasoned to make it taste more meaty than it is. But if you're making it at home, stock and bone broth are the same thing. For example, the website tries to argue that stock has more sodium in it. That's only because they're comparing it to a higher sodium competitor. And they say that bone broth is like gelatin, but I would argue so is regular stock if you make it right.

Edit: Sorry if this is argumentative. I guess in fewer words, I think the distinction between stock and bone broth doesn't exist at home, but absolutely does for commercial products. Because if you buy premade bone broth, you're buying stock. If you buy premade stock, you're buying some liquid stuff with flavorings in it to make it taste like stock.
I agree that they are similar, but I don’t know many who boil their chicken bones for 12 - 24 hours, I know my mom didn’t. I’ve thought of being nice and making some for dd26 instead of buying it, she likes chicken but I’d like to try making beef. My family really likes pho but I’ve always just made it with broth.

I have found that my Instant Pot works great to make bone broth, stock, etc. It comes out richer than it ever did when I made it on the stove. I just throw a ton of bones, veggie scraps, and spices in. Cover with water and set it for like two hours. Comes out great every time and I don’t have worry about cooking it all day.
Can I ask, what settings?

I like the Instant Pot but getting the best uses can be elusive, I have a friend who bought one and returned it 3 different times because the only thing we all know how to do is slow cook and everyone already has one of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter