Booking a Disney Villa (timeshare question)

Why not rent DVC points from an DVC owner and rent your week to someone else. Or mybe you can find a DVC owner who might trade outside of II. Can you get Hawaii or something good to trade for five nights in an OKW two bedroom? Marathon weekend will be filling up real fast. Act soon.:happytv:

If you're trying to trade a Kissimmee timeshare into DVC, it will NEVER happen because there is a block (like for a 50 mile radius) for trading other Orlando area timeshares into DVC through II. Marriott does the same thing.

Now, if you're trying to trade another week that your dad owns (in a different area than Orlando) and the resort has a high enough quality rating in II, then you might get lucky and find a DVC trade in the month of January. It just depends on what you're using to try to trade and if it's got a high enough quality rating to pull DVC and if a DVC unit comes up for the week you want. If you can't pull DVC, there are some really nice Marriott timeshares in Orlando that you might be able to get - Marriott's Cypress Harbour or Marriott Grande Vista come to mind. But once again, Marriott has a block just like DVC does for other Orlando timeshares trading into an Orlando Marriott.

Yeah, we are trading a week we own in Door County, WI, so the proximaty to Orlando isnt an issue. But I don't think the condo we own up here has very much trading power within II. It just recently joined II within the past year or two, although it is a 5-star. THanks for the Marriott tip!

A 1BR at OKW is quite large and the sofa beds are very comfortable according to the people who have used them in our groups so if you really want to stay at Disney this would be a good thing. The other resorts have smaller 1BR units with smaller balcony areas etc. If you would do a 1 BR somewhere else I would go for the OKW 1 BR. if it is still available or another one comes up.

Good luck and pixiedust: pixiedust:

Thanks for the tip and thanks for the :pixiedust: !! I may be wrong, but just from reading the boards, it seems that OKW seems to become available more than the others? I would be more than willing to sleep on the couch if that's what it comes down to :lmao:

Why not rent DVC points from an DVC owner and rent your week to someone else. Or mybe you can find a DVC owner who might trade outside of II. Can you get Hawaii or something good to trade for five nights in an OKW two bedroom? Marathon weekend will be filling up real fast. Act soon.:happytv:

We thought about renting the points, but I think it would end up being more expensive than trading a week. We would rather trade for a week in a non-Disney resort than rent points. But I haven't thought about trading outside of II, how does that work?

I would also put Sheraton Vistana Villages on the list as a possible trade through II (Interval). There is a Sheraton Vistana Resort also, but that's different than Sheraton Vistana Villages. The one that ends in Villages is the newest Sheraton vacation cub in Orlando and only a few years old and currently still building new units. My parents stayed there last month and said it was very nice.

The only DVC I would accept a 1 bedroom for with 3 adults would be Old Key West (it's a lot bigger). Old Key West 1 bedrooms are close to 1100 square feet. The other DVC 1 bedrooms are small (only about 750 square feet) - I think you would be cramped. Not to mention you only have 1 bathroom. And especially with your dad giving up a 2 bedroom, I would go for a Marriott 2 bedroom or a Sheraton Vistana Villages 2 bedroom before one of the smaller DVC 1 bedrooms. Unless you get lucky and manage to trade into a DVC 2 bedroom. That would solve the space issue.

Good luck.

I believe I read somewhere on these boards that DVC is full for Marathon weekend.

Yeah, we are trading a week we own in Door County, WI, so the proximaty to Orlando isnt an issue. But I don't think the condo we own up here has very much trading power within II. It just recently joined II within the past year or two, although it is a 5-star. THanks for the Marriott tip!

I'm sure that's the main reason. High trading power is a must for those wanting to get into DVC. It isn't enough to be a 5-star resort, but to get good trading power it must be in a very desirable location also, and then must also have desirable dates. For example, someone who owns in Hawaii, such as a Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt, is going to have extremely high trading power. Big ski resorts such as in Vail, Breckenrdige, etc also get high trading power (provided the trade is during ski season. During the summer months these types of resorts would have much lower trading power.)

The thing is that most DVC owners don't trade at all. And those who do like to trade out to other resorts, many of them own other timeshares besides Disney, and use those other timeshares to trade out. For example, we also own Marriott in Palm Springs. Whenever we trade, we trade that resort. We never trade DVC.

I'm sure that's the main reason. High trading power is a must for those wanting to get into DVC. It isn't enough to be a 5-star resort, but to get good trading power it must be in a very desirable location also, and then must also have desirable dates. For example, someone who owns in Hawaii, such as a Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt, is going to have extremely high trading power. Big ski resorts such as in Vail, Breckenrdige, etc also get high trading power (provided the trade is during ski season. During the summer months these types of resorts would have much lower trading power.)

The thing is that most DVC owners don't trade at all. And those who do like to trade out to other resorts, many of them own other timeshares besides Disney, and use those other timeshares to trade out. For example, we also own Marriott in Palm Springs. Whenever we trade, we trade that resort. We never trade DVC.

I see what you're saying, so in other words its extremely difficult to trade into DVC unless you have a "hot" place, and even then its tough? Hmm, maybe next time we should just look into DVC membership

I see what you're saying, so in other words its extremely difficult to trade into DVC unless you have a "hot" place, and even then its tough? Hmm, maybe next time we should just look into DVC membership

Yes, and it's why we considered buying a "cheaper" high trade power Hawaii timeshare to use for trading.

BTW, your Door County trade might be best accomplished either here on the rent/trade board, or through TUG (Timeshare Users Group). I know if I had extra points, I might be interested, because Door County is easy access for us, and I have always wanted to do that.

That's us. We haven't traded our DVC yet. We own two other timeshares besides DVC and when we trade through II, we use the other timeshares to do it. Although, if I were going back to Hawaii soon and could get a Marriott or a Westin with our DVC points, I'd do it in a heart beat. I know how much those resorts rent for. ;)

I would totaly believe that you were unable to get into a Disney Timeshare from II. We had a similar problem trying to trade out our Harborside timeshare to II even with a year in advance. It was soooo discouraging. II wanted our week real bad in the Bahamas but said there was no way we would get a two bedroom anywhere in Disney. They tried to put us up other place in the area, but we didn't need that. Our company (Starwood) owns two place very close. But we wanted IN Disney. After many months of waiting, we took the plunge and bought into DVC. We took our first trip to SSR last May and loved every single minute we were there. Good luck:thumbsup2

Yes, and it's why we considered buying a "cheaper" high trade power Hawaii timeshare to use for trading.

BTW, your Door County trade might be best accomplished either here on the rent/trade board, or through TUG (Timeshare Users Group). I know if I had extra points, I might be interested, because Door County is easy access for us, and I have always wanted to do that.

Hmm, that is a good idea, but I was looking at the rent/trade board and it said that timeshare exchanges through II weren't allowed on that board? Maybe I misunderstood, do you know how I go about that? Do I just post on there that I have a Trade Offered? The TUG sounds interesting, I will look into that. Thanks!

I would totaly believe that you were unable to get into a Disney Timeshare from II. We had a similar problem trying to trade out our Harborside timeshare to II even with a year in advance. It was soooo discouraging. II wanted our week real bad in the Bahamas but said there was no way we would get a two bedroom anywhere in Disney. They tried to put us up other place in the area, but we didn't need that. Our company (Starwood) owns two place very close. But we wanted IN Disney. After many months of waiting, we took the plunge and bought into DVC. We took our first trip to SSR last May and loved every single minute we were there. Good luck:thumbsup2

Thank you, I'm starting to think if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. It might be worth our while to buy into DVC since we go to Disney at least once every 2 years or so (our timeshare in Kissimmee is an every-other-year thing).

This may sound like a silly question, but does anyone know where I can find information on the prices of buying into DVC? I looked on the website and of course it doesn't tell you how much you'll be shelling out :lmao:

Hmm, that is a good idea, but I was looking at the rent/trade board and it said that timeshare exchanges through II weren't allowed on that board? Maybe I misunderstood, do you know how I go about that? Do I just post on there that I have a Trade Offered? The TUG sounds interesting, I will look into that. Thanks!
You may use our Rent/Trade board for trading other timeshares into or out of DVC timeshares.

You may not use our boards for trading other timeshares between themselves, and you may not use our boards for trading an II reservation for a DVC reservation.

If you use our board, you are not going through II at all. You are negotiating directly with a DVC owner to trade a DVC reservation for your timeshare reservation.

The correct category, as you mentioned, is Trade Offered. Be sure to read all the posting rules, and be sure to check out the Definitions section for Trade Offered.

FYI, I also moderate the Rent/Trade board...:)

I think that the rule applies to people that have confirmed II exchanges trying to re-rent them on the board, as that is against II rules. As far as you doing a direct exchange with a DVC members, why not send a PM to CaskBill or WebmasterDoc, as they moderate the Rent/Trade board and see if you can post for a direct exchange, and how it would have to be worded?

EDIT: I see CaskBill (above post) and I were posting at the same time

I know a few DVC members had posted about having trouble exchanging into Harborside in the past. No one wants to give up their prime resort week without a sure exchange into their desired prime resort. Catch-22.

I would think a direct exchange would work much better in this case.

Go to Timeshare Users Group (TUG for short). There is a minimal charge to join them, and you can list it there. You can even request an exchange to DVC. Many do. I think what the rent trade board is referring to is exchanges that have already been made...It is not legal to rent out an exchange that has already been made through II.

LOL, I wouldn't normally equate cheaper and HI together. The dues are simply too high there as a rule, even more than DVC in many situations/resorts. There are many far cheaper places that will trade as well overall than HI or DVC.

Overall there is a lot of good info here. Getting into DVC is tough part of the year, not that tough for about the other half. A 2 BR though is less likely but maybe workable for Jan, May, Sept and early Dec and some possibilities for Feb, Oct and Nov. As noted, can't trade another Orlando resort into DVC due to the Regional Block. Given the OP situations, I'd put in a request and see what happens. You can always add the Sheratons and Marriott's late, say 60 days out, and easily get a 2 BR. I'd take the chance if it were I. If you can take a 1 BR, you will improve your chances dramatically.

One word of caution for anyone looking at exchanges in either direction. II isn't a reservation system. As a rule the good stuff is not just sitting there. If you really want something get an ongoing request started early and let it ride as long as possible. Do request first whenever possible.

As noted the 11/7 month windows don't apply exactly in this situation but they do apply somewhat though it doesn't really affect the members at all. II does get mostly studios and 1 BR units at DVC so these are generally what is available.

Thank you all for all the great information! I hadn't known all of this before, I'm glad I asked! I will try the rent/trade board as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter