Booking Bay Lake Towers to far out?

AARCLUKSCH

Mouseketeer
Hello all. I hope I am not asking this question in the wrong place.....I am interested in booking Bay Lake Towers for February 2022. I am not a DVC member nor am I interested in renting. There is nothing available for the week I am looking to go. Does anyone know if that is because I am trying to book too far out?

Hello all. I hope I am not asking this question in the wrong place.....I am interested in booking Bay Lake Towers for February 2022. I am not a DVC member nor am I interested in renting. There is nothing available for the week I am looking to go. Does anyone know if that is because I am trying to book too far out?

You have to start looking in March for February 2022, you can only book 11 months out on points.

Rooms are reserved for DVC members first. They can book at 11 months if that is their home resort. Owners at the other resorts can book at 7 months. Disney Resorts owns a small part of the rooms. Usually you won’t see cash availability until closer to 60 days ahead.

Bay Lake Towers in a DVC resort, so the number of rooms rented directly by Disney is small and often won’t be available when other hotel rooms are available for 2022. I suggest booking a backup to BLT and then watching to see when rooms become available, or looking to rent from a member.

As others have posted, booking at DVC resorts cannot even begin until 11 months before the start of a vacation. This applies to owners and DVC (which retains 1%-2% of all points at each resort). And there are only a couple of ways that Disney can acquire a DVC room for a cash reservation.

The first would be to use their percentage of points to reserve a room and sell it for cash. Technically, they are only supposed to reserve a room with those points in order to have inventory available if a maintenance issue occurs with a room. But as many DVC owners have learned when they got a room with problems, the resorts are often sold out and no room is available to move them to.

The next way for a room to come available is when a DVC member trades their points out to ABD, DCL or for a regular hotel room. DVC takes those points and reserves villas, and then gives them to Disney to sell for cash DVC uses the cash to pay for the trade. Those villas can become available at any point after the 11-month window opens. With ABD and DCL both sidelined, members aren't trading out their points, so fewer rooms are coming available that way.

The last way is thru what is known as breakage. Any villas that remain unreserved by members at 60 days out can be turned over to Disney for cash inventory. The cash goes to DVC and it can be used to offset members' annual dues. Typically, the unreserved villas tend to be at SSR, OKW and AKV (the largest WDW DVC resorts), but other resorts do become available for cash reservations, especially in slower DVC periods like the summer months.

Oh. One more way.

DVD (the developer) owns all points at resorts that have not sold out (CCV, RIV, AUL). They can book rooms there at 11 months and turn them over to Disney to sell for cash. That's why you see so many RIV rooms available for cash reservations. Only about 43% of the resort is available for members to book. The remaining 57% gets turned over for cash. As more and more contracts are sold at RIV, the percentage of cash rooms will go down. Now is the best you will ever see of RIV cash availability.

As others have posted, booking at DVC resorts cannot even begin until 11 months before the start of a vacation. This applies to owners and DVC (which retains 1%-2% of all points at each resort). And there are only a couple of ways that Disney can acquire a DVC room for a cash reservation.

The first would be to use their percentage of points to reserve a room and sell it for cash. Technically, they are only supposed to reserve a room with those points in order to have inventory available if a maintenance issue occurs with a room. But as many DVC owners have learned when they got a room with problems, the resorts are often sold out and no room is available to move them to.

The next way for a room to come available is when a DVC member trades their points out to ABD, DCL or for a regular hotel room. DVC takes those points and reserves villas, and then gives them to Disney to sell for cash DVC uses the cash to pay for the trade. Those villas can become available at any point after the 11-month window opens. With ABD and DCL both sidelined, members aren't trading out their points, so fewer rooms are coming available that way.

The last way is thru what is known as breakage. Any villas that remain unreserved by members at 60 days out can be turned over to Disney for cash inventory. The cash goes to DVC and it can be used to offset members' annual dues. Typically, the unreserved villas tend to be at SSR, OKW and AKV (the largest WDW DVC resorts), but other resorts do become available for cash reservations, especially in slower DVC periods like the summer months.
They also get points to rent out any time some one books a lockoff as 2 separate rooms.

They also get points to rent out any time some one books a lockoff as 2 separate rooms.
Technically, the points used for a lockoff premium are paid by the owner for the reservation they made. However, it does lead to slightly more unreserved villas at 60 days, which then goes toward breakage. Since the percent of cash reservation income used to offset dues is always much lower than the total revenue from breakage, that's how DVC profits from the lockoff premium.

Usually you won’t see cash availability until closer to 60 days ahead.

Most of them have availability for cash LONG before 60 days. My just-completed trip at the Poly was in a studio and I booked it like in August.

Most of them have availability for cash LONG before 60 days. My just-completed trip at the Poly was in a studio and I booked it like in August.

That's because of low bookings due to Covid. Once it's back to normal, there will likely not be BLT rooms to book so far in advance.

FWIW, Disneyworld.com is showing villas at Bay Lake Tower available for next January and at the Riviera available as late as June 2022. I was looking at cash bookings, not points.

Thank you everyone for the info!! I will hold off, keep an eye on open and hope something opens up for the week I’m looking for.

I have booked DVC resorts with cash for years. Your booking time will be right around the 11 month mark from the last day of your stay. Right now I'm waiting to book BCV for Feb 1-11 and by my calculations on how the dates have been released so far this year, I should be able to book March 18th. So just slightly past 11 months. YMMV with BLT. HTH

FWIW, Disneyworld.com is showing villas at Bay Lake Tower available for next January and at the Riviera available as late as June 2022. I was looking at cash bookings, not points.
Riviera still has a lot of builder's inventory so there should be a lot of villas available for cash through Disney Reservation Center. It's not close to sold out yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter